2024 Spring Practice Pressers

White said Rhule didn't think the defense's play in the scrimmage Saturday was good enough.  

White said the offense is providing more of a challenge in how it runs the ball.  Also noted improved QB play: "You're having to defend so much more."

• Oh Yeah! 1
14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but it sure sounded like we are prepping Dvoracek to be DC next year if (when?) White leaves.

Sure sounded like it to me too - wasn't paying super close attention, but sounded like Dvoracek has been calling plays (maybe just for the scrimmage) and then getting feedback from White. What wasn't clear to me was if the other assistants were also doing that and we just heard about it from Dvoracek. Either way makes sense to me, there's clearly mutually interest between White and head coaching gigs and I'm sure Rhule would love to promote from within when he leaves. That's easier if they've at least practiced calling plays.

They've made reference in the past that the spring league has allowed more assistants to get accustomed to calling plays since White can't be everywhere at once.

I don't know how much I'd read into this, but Rhule is not denying at all that White's time here is likely to be limited if this defense continues to have success. I have no doubt he has a backup plan whether that's promoting from within or getting someone else familiar with this scheme.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
15 hours ago, brophog said:

They've made reference in the past that the spring league has allowed more assistants to get accustomed to calling plays since White can't be everywhere at once.

I don't know how much I'd read into this, but Rhule is not denying at all that White's time here is likely to be limited if this defense continues to have success. I have no doubt he has a backup plan whether that's promoting from within or getting someone else familiar with this scheme.

Ok….Ive seen this before and get it.  But, this basically makes it impossible for any amateur sports organization to have any rules pertaining to organizing teams…..which is stupid.  

18 hours ago, Mavric said:

White said Rhule didn't think the defense's play in the scrimmage Saturday was good enough.  

White said the offense is providing more of a challenge in how it runs the ball.  Also noted improved QB play: "You're having to defend so much more."

Noted that Nash, Ty, Gifford, Hill, & Buford did not play Saturday 

likewise Benhart, Scott, & banks did not play on offense 

I may be missing one but I believe that was the group who was held out to give them a break/development of the younger guys. 

• Thanks 1

I understand Barthel is trying to sell to recruits, but in actual football terms that sentence is pretty meaningless anymore. Most of the remaining differences these days are due to things like the rules, hashmark spacing, and various other things we have no actual control over.

• Plus1 1