2024 Portal Szn

On 3/27/2024 at 2:32 PM, ECisGod said:

Creighton's going to need a lot of players out of the portal.  McDermott doesn't seem to have much confidence in their bench so 4 of their 5 starters play 35+ minutes/game and all 4 of them will be gone after this season.  Three are out of eligibility & Alexander will go pro + their 6th man (Farabello) is a senior too.

Technically, 4 of their starting 5 can come back. Ashworth, Kalkbrenner both have Covid year left, Alexander could go back as well. None of these three should go pro, none will make an NBA roster, unless they want to go international or G-League they aren't pro level players. With NLI, they probably make more at Creighton than they will in the G-League. They also have Miller/Jasen Green as their other starter. They do lose Farabello and Sheierman, with the latter being a huge loss for them and the few who entered the portal but never played because they only went 6/7 deep.

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, Madcows said:

Technically, 4 of their starting 5 can come back. Ashworth, Kalkbrenner both have Covid year left, Alexander could go back as well. None of these three should go pro, none will make an NBA roster, unless they want to go international or G-League they aren't pro level players. With NLI, they probably make more at Creighton than they will in the G-League. They also have Miller/Jasen Green as their other starter. They do lose Farabello and Sheierman, with the latter being a huge loss for them and the few who entered the portal but never played because they only went 6/7 deep.

I'd be shocked if Alexander comes back.  He wanted to leave after last year & almost no one comes back for two years after they wanted to go pro.  I'd guess he will get a 2-way contract as a free agent/late 2nd round pick & spend most of his time in the G-League only going up to the NBA if there are injured players at his position.

Kalkbrenner isn't going to be any better after another year at Creighton, so he might as well go pro.  His game will play well in Europe & he'll make more there than in NIL.  The question becomes is he willing to move to Europe this summer or next.  I think that from an NBA/G-League standpoint he has regressed in scout's eyes & I don't see it getting any better unless he can get 25% stronger.  It might be fun to see him get posterized on a regular basis in the NBA.

No clue on Ashworth.  He was supposed to be their point guard, but never had the ball in his hands because Alexander was their lead guard.  He's not going to play pro ball in the US unless he plays on someone's summer league team before he goes off to Europe/New Zealand/Australia.

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

I'd be shocked if Alexander comes back.  He wanted to leave after last year & almost no one comes back for two years after they wanted to go pro.  I'd guess he will get a 2-way contract as a free agent/late 2nd round pick & spend most of his time in the G-League only going up to the NBA if there are injured players at his position.

Kalkbrenner isn't going to be any better after another year at Creighton, so he might as well go pro.  His game will play well in Europe & he'll make more there than in NIL.  The question becomes is he willing to move to Europe this summer or next.  I think that from an NBA/G-League standpoint he has regressed in scout's eyes & I don't see it getting any better unless he can get 25% stronger.  It might be fun to see him get posterized on a regular basis in the NBA.

No clue on Ashworth.  He was supposed to be their point guard, but never had the ball in his hands because Alexander was their lead guard.  He's not going to play pro ball in the US unless he plays on someone's summer league team before he goes off to Europe/New Zealand/Australia.

Most mocks I've looked at, don't have Alexander drafted. I've never done the research to see how many undrafted are 2-way contracts. Watching him struggle against the better teams they played and get completely shut down against a few of these teams, I don't think he's even worth a 2-way contract. Seeing what Tennessee did to him, what St Johns did to him he's probably a 6th man-type G-League player.

Ashworth just had a kid and bought a house in Omaha, he'll be back for the Jays next year.

Not sure how much Kalkbrenner improves staying at Creighton, but I'm not sure how much he can improve in general. He's a great defensive big, but he is not strong and has limited back to the basket skills and doesn't have the range or athleticism to be a stretch 5. IMO he's about maxed out his potential.

For both Kalkbrenner and Alexander, it'll depend on what their significant others are willing to do. Kalkbrenner just got engaged, not sure his soon-to-be wife will want to uproot to somewhere in Europe for a few years and try to start over multiple times in multiple countries. Same goes for Alexander and his long time GF.  The chance that all three come back to Creighton is a lot better than 0. At this point, I'd say it's closer to a coin flip that all three come back.

And for all three, NLI money is good, they play in front of 15000 fans, they aren't getting that in the G-League or in international leagues. And those options will be there in another year, barring major injury. I can see the pitch from Mac of trying for a final four one last time before the real world of basketball kicks their butts and has them only playing at the Y.