USC downplaying NU game

This article contains the opinion of a talking POS:

link

USC center: NU won't be surprise

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - The next opponent on USC's football schedule is Nebraska.

To Trojan center Ryan Kalil, it could just as well be "Anybody State."

That's not a knock on the Huskers, the All-America candidate said. But after winning 46 of the past 48 games, that's how USC operates.

"We've become accustomed to not really caring who we play," Kalil said. "We worry about ourselves and what we do."

Why? Experience, he said.

"We've seen so many defensive fronts and blitzes - hey, there's only so much anybody can do," Kalil said. "We have a lot of experienced guys to read whatever comes up.

"It's not something we're too worried about. It's not about Nebraska. It's about us."

USC showed critics on Saturday night that it plans to be in the national championship hunt again by pounding Arkansas 50-14 in its opener. After an open date this week, USC takes on Nebraska in Los Angeles in a 7 p.m. CDT game on Sept. 16.

The Trojans returned only 11 starters from last year's team that lost to Texas in the national title game. Doubters wondered if the dynasty was crumbling.

But against Arkansas, the Trojans' defense dominated from the start, the offense came to life in the second half and the kicking game sparkled. They also finished plus five in turnovers.

"I feel good. I feel good about it. I feel pretty good," USC coach Pete Carroll said in a sing-song voice that drew a laugh. "We did a lot of stuff.

"This is really a satisfying victory for us. For the coaches who have been around awhile, this is a big deal to us because we know there was so much question in the air about where we would be and what we would be all about."

Much of the question was at quarterback, where fourth-year junior John David Booty made his first start.

After some spotty play in the first half, Booty bounced back to finish 24 of 36 for 261 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions.

"It took me the first quarter to get some type of rhythm," he said. "I felt like I was playing really fast. The second half, things slowed down."

USC lost 11 players in the NFL draft last spring. But by game's end, Kalil said, things started to feel like last year.

"It's a definite advantage to have guys who have been in so many situations - being down, being up, on the road, in loud stadiums," he said. "Our younger guys can feed off the older guys who have seen all these situations.

"The biggest thing for us is to never let our guard down."

That's exactly what I love to see! They seem pretty over confident, and the funny thing is the people talking now have rid the bench for those 46 of 48 games and now after 1 game think they can talk the talk, we shall see if they can walk the walk. Plus anything they want to say that might fire up our team is just plain stupid. I hope Nebraska knows to just keep there mouth shut, we don't need to talk, just play.

This article contains the opinion of a talking POS:

link

USC center: NU won't be surprise

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - The next opponent on USC's football schedule is Nebraska.

To Trojan center Ryan Kalil, it could just as well be "Anybody State."

That's not a knock on the Huskers, the All-America candidate said. But after winning 46 of the past 48 games, that's how USC operates.

"We've become accustomed to not really caring who we play," Kalil said. "We worry about ourselves and what we do."

Why? Experience, he said.

"We've seen so many defensive fronts and blitzes - hey, there's only so much anybody can do," Kalil said. "We have a lot of experienced guys to read whatever comes up.

"It's not something we're too worried about. It's not about Nebraska. It's about us."

USC showed critics on Saturday night that it plans to be in the national championship hunt again by pounding Arkansas 50-14 in its opener. After an open date this week, USC takes on Nebraska in Los Angeles in a 7 p.m. CDT game on Sept. 16.

The Trojans returned only 11 starters from last year's team that lost to Texas in the national title game. Doubters wondered if the dynasty was crumbling.

But against Arkansas, the Trojans' defense dominated from the start, the offense came to life in the second half and the kicking game sparkled. They also finished plus five in turnovers.

"I feel good. I feel good about it. I feel pretty good," USC coach Pete Carroll said in a sing-song voice that drew a laugh. "We did a lot of stuff.

"This is really a satisfying victory for us. For the coaches who have been around awhile, this is a big deal to us because we know there was so much question in the air about where we would be and what we would be all about."

Much of the question was at quarterback, where fourth-year junior John David Booty made his first start.

After some spotty play in the first half, Booty bounced back to finish 24 of 36 for 261 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions.

"It took me the first quarter to get some type of rhythm," he said. "I felt like I was playing really fast. The second half, things slowed down."

USC lost 11 players in the NFL draft last spring. But by game's end, Kalil said, things started to feel like last year.

"It's a definite advantage to have guys who have been in so many situations - being down, being up, on the road, in loud stadiums," he said. "Our younger guys can feed off the older guys who have seen all these situations.

"The biggest thing for us is to never let our guard down."

They're best Defensive player who starts at CB tore his ACL in the game the other night (the kid said he heard his own knee pop) - it's a Big loss for them, He's having an MRI tomorrow but even Carroll said he's 99% sure he's out. Also texas had a player arrested on pot and weapons charges last night - not sure if he's a starter or not though :bonez

They're best Defensive player who starts at CB tore his ACL in the game the other night (the kid said he heard his own knee pop) - it's a Big loss for them, He's having an MRI tomorrow but even Carroll said he's 99% sure he's out. Also texas had a player arrested on pot and weapons charges last night - not sure if he's a starter or not though :bonez

The Texas DB Tarell Brown is a starter.

this game makes me nervous as hell.......although we have nothing to lose

...and no one expects us to win in their house.....huge challenge for us!

next year, different story in Lincoln....we will have much more experience on our side by then.......this trip will feature a learning curve for our kids....it will be ok..

hunter

this game makes me nervous as hell.......although we have nothing to lose

...and no one expects us to win in their house.....huge challenge for us!

next year, different story in Lincoln....we will have much more experience on our side by then.......this trip will feature a learning curve for our kids....it will be ok..

hunter

big time gauge to see how far we have progressed...

Not a question of lack of respect here. Just a good way to focus for the Trojans: concentrate on your own play, and good things will follow. I think that's a good philosophy. As a Husker fan, we don't like to hear that other teams aren't trembling in fear at our very impending presence (not even La Tech was), but this is a good way to think and focus for any football team.

R U kidding me? it's all about Nebraska - If anyone else watched the game ( i only watched the the first half ) did you notice all the smoke and mirror offense that PC used? It was all misdirection (pass and run) this offense did not want to show the ineptness of that line to Cally and the boys. Do i think its going to be a good game - yes, but watch that line. Also, the offense of Ark was pathetic - keeping the D on the field way to much. Look for a much more rested and better prepared O and D in your next game USuCk.

:cheers:restore