Huskers can beat USC

Just looking at the stats for 2 games, the Huskers are starting to look like a balance team that Coach Callahan was looking for. Since living in the Bay Area for the last 20 years, I witnesed the 49ers dynasty and the Raiders(Gruden and Cally years). The West Cost offense that is running at a high level is a very balance team. We are averaging 256.5 running and 284.5 passing. The running game opens up the slant routes and the long ball. How many times did Joe, Steve, and Rich have a running game going and just pick apart the other teams defense. Right now Lucky has 31 carries and 2 tds. Glenn 24-3. Wilson 24-1. Jackson 10-1. We have 4 very good backs on this team. This is a very good thing. Let's see a team stop all 4. You may stop one, maybe 2 but not all 4. We will have a running game this year. Zac has this offense down. He will throw 4,000 yards 30 tds. There are 13 players who have caught a pass. Tom Brady of the Pats always throw to 8 or 9 receivers a game. Just think, Mo who may turn into a 1,000 yard 8 tds receiver this year. Add all the tightends, receivers, and backs and this offense can average 52 points that they are avering now. With this defense, just look at how many points we are giving up. Right now it's 8.5 a game. It's not how many yards, it's how many points. We can give up 350 yards a game, it doesn't matter if you are only giving up 10 points a game. It's not how many yards you give up it's how many points you give up. This Husker team has a good chance to go to a BCS game. Huskers 35-USC 28. UPSET or NOT???? :woo:horns2:cheers:blink:

the Huskers just look solid

I know it's only been a couple games, but Zac is confident. He threw for well over his record percentage today and hit several receivers. He knows where his guys are at and what they can and can't do.

He's got an offensive line that is protecting him like crazy and 4 running backs who can sniff that goal line out all the way from their own 1 yard line.

The defense is the only thing I'm not 100% confident on, which is sad considering I figured they'd be the only thing I'm not worried about. True, the points should speak for themselves...but we're talking about them playing against two teams who don't have as strong of an offense as a top 5 national team should...like USC. We HAVE to put much more pressure on the QB and their receivers than we have been doing already.

However, I still say....Fresno State almost beat the #1 team last year.

And Fresno State lost to Louisiana Tech last year.

The Pac-10 is overrated. Now, how much overrated are they? We'll find out in one week when the Huskers walk out with a win.

Yes, NU has looked impressive in the first two games. THEY SHOULD HAVE. Those were completely outmanned teams we played. Next week, USC is going to be a huge step up, a gigantic step up from what we have seen to date, and it's in thier house. NU will have to be on its game and get some USC breaks just to have a chance. I think there "O" is going to clean up, so NU is going to have to score some points just to compete and hopefully have a shot at the end. We find out where this program stands this week!! :restore

Just looking at the stats for 2 games, the Huskers are starting to look like a balance team

Its not like we played Ohio State and ND, we played Nicholls State and La Tech, after this Saturday, then we can start talking about how good we really are.

Agreed. We are not "walking" out of LA with a win we may sprint out of there but we are by no means a team that is going to dominate them. Not this year not this time. I just hope for an upset guys that will take us playing our best, mistake free football and SC turning it over alot. I hope we pull it out go BIG RED

I think this game will hinge on who can establish, and continue, the run game. Force either team into a MUST PASS situation - and it's trouble.

YES - Nebraska CAN beat USC - no question. It'll take an effort - however, we REALLY don't know how good EITHER team really is.

Nebraska looks terrific - very efficient - and basically unstoppable when they execute (and, even against a good D - their attack, when done correctly, will be VERY hard to defend).

USC played one game against an overmatched Arkansas squad - about as talented as our game against LA Tech. So, who REALLY knows about Booty? <no wisecracks - cause, in the other sense - I am sure we all know quite a bit about "booty">

Playing 2 games against nobody is better than playing one game against nobody - and Nebraska has played EXTREMELY vanilla so for - we haven't given much away at all. Heck, even what we HAVE shown is REALLY hard to defend against - even with a good D.

USC doesn't have a good D - it's okay. Nebraska has a good D - however, we're kinda hurting at corner.

USC has 2 weeks to prepare - against the vanilla offense that they have seen. As far as USC's offense - they are going to try to exploit our corners. I am expecting Nebraska to be in a lot of zone D - we will give up completions - but we have to try to prevent the big plays, especially early.

Who stops who? That's what it comes down to. If Nebraska can put Booty on his...ummm...dare I say, booty - in a consistent manner - it will be a key to the game. Just remember how all the "great" QB's have folded against Nebraska - Kordell Stewart (damn..was he scared), Danny Awful, Peyton Manning...

Pressure IS key. If we leave :asshat ..errr, Booty untouched - they will pick us apart.

The first quarter is key in this game - and I'll take Nebraska for adjustments at the half (yes, I think Coach C is THAT good with the team). If Nebraska is within, say 7 at the half - I think we are golden. There is LITTLE question as to who will wear down who as the game goes on.

Nebraska 38 USC 31

I had a kick a$$ dream a while ago where Nebraska won 32-28. It was one of those kind of dreams that feel like they are real. There was a little under two minutes left in the game and we were down 28-25 and they had the ball. They took some time off of the clock and we eventually forced them into a 3rd and 10 situation. Instead of just running the ball they tried to surprise us with a pass. Booty went back to pass while Jarret ran a 10 yrd out. He throws it to him and octavian comes out of knowhere and takes it 50 yards to the house. It was the best dream I ever had. Lets just say that I woke up with goose bumbs from that one.

32-28 GO HUSKERS!!!

I am telling you it is a sign. :worship

I had a kick a$$ dream a while ago where Nebraska won 32-28. It was one of those kind of dreams that feel like they are real.

is famerscarlet a jedi? can he see things before they happen?

i hope so.

you all realize that if the Husker beat USC in their house it will be the first time the trojans have lost since september of 2k1?

if nebraska pulls it off, the Huskers will have finally annouced to their return to glory.

I had a kick a$$ dream a while ago where Nebraska won 32-28. It was one of those kind of dreams that feel like they are real. There was a little under two minutes left in the game and we were down 28-25 and they had the ball. They took some time off of the clock and we eventually forced them into a 3rd and 10 situation. Instead of just running the ball they tried to surprise us with a pass. Booty went back to pass while Jarret ran a 10 yrd out. He throws it to him and octavian comes out of knowhere and takes it 50 yards to the house. It was the best dream I ever had. Lets just say that I woke up with goose bumbs from that one.

32-28 GO HUSKERS!!!

I am telling you it is a sign. :worship

Dude, I think you were just dreaming about the Alamo bowl again!

I thought a lot about the USC game this weekend, and if we can win this thing. I know some people are wary of how good we are, given our competition so far. But here's the thing: the WCO is about execution more than anything; regardless of the opponent, there needs to be some semblance of order and execution in order to be successful. I think we have shown that, and are ready for the Trojans. That being said, here are my keys to the ballgame.

1. Run the ball early. Now, I know SC's secondary has question marks, and that ZT has been outstanding so far. That being said, we must establish the run. First, we need to get the O-Line confident. If we come out and run well early, it sets the tone for the line. Further, given the young secondary, if we can get Mays (frosh safety) to start cheating, we can use play-action over the top with Purify and Herian. Finally, establishing the run will shorten the game, hopefully giving a chance at the end.

2. No mistakes. This is a no-brainer. We have a small margin for error - so we cannot afford to turn the ball over or have costly penalties. USC, since Carrol showed up, is terrific at forcing turnovers. We have to at least stay even in turnover margin. If not, we lose.

3. Protect ZT. Duh, right? I imagine SC is going to attack ZT and try to throw his timing off - something essential to success against at WCO (think back to the Cowboys' success against the Niners in the early 90s - they got after Steve Young). Either with quick passes or with extra protection (as well as the running game - see above), we have to keep ZT's white jersey nice and white.

4. Win the special teams battle. Congdon must convert when called upon, we must win the field position battle, and we need at least one big return from Nunn, Wilson, et al.

5. Pressure the SC quarterback. Coach Cos has shown a very vanilla defense so far. Time to open it up. Look for Octavien to be attacking the backfield often when SC goes back to pass. The only way we can prevent big plays against the secondary is to attack Booty and keep him off balance. We have the manpower to do this - if we don't, it will be a long day for the Blackshirt DBs.

In summary, we have to play almost a perfect game to win. I think we will come close. I have a great feeling about our leaders, and the collective chip that is on the shoulders of each Husker. Let's not forget, regardless of SC's talent, you don't lose a Bush, White, and Lienart and not lose a step. If we hit them in the mouth, it might stun them enough to make the game close throughout.

That being said, we are going to their house, and the talent there is unreal.

USC 34, NU 30.

Yes, NU has looked impressive in the first two games. THEY SHOULD HAVE. Those were completely outmanned teams we played. Next week, USC is going to be a huge step up, a gigantic step up from what we have seen to date, and it's in thier house. NU will have to be on its game and get some USC breaks just to have a chance. I think there "O" is going to clean up, so NU is going to have to score some points just to compete and hopefully have a shot at the end. We find out where this program stands this week!! :restore

sorry, a dose of reality i happen to agree with.....but i could be wrong

we have played NO ONE yet.........

hunter