Punting

gamecocks

A freshman all-american kicker and and a punter that averages over 42 yards a punt with a long of 53. They may not be the best at their positions across the nation but they are much better than what USC is going to roll out there.

Don't forget to notice that all 3 of USC's punters kicks were inside the 20. Ever think that they were pooch punts????doy

In the first two games, I have seen some kicks go into the endzone but some haven't. The new tee is affecting it though also. Now that it has been lowered an inch. Congdon's leg is improved, and he will show that this year.

It was reported last year that the coaches have told the kicker to put the ball short of the endzone on kickoffs. Not a bad philosophy as long as the kick coverage is making their tackles. Once Thenarse stops missing that first tackle: look out!

In the first two games, I have seen some kicks go into the endzone but some haven't. The new tee is affecting it though also. Now that it has been lowered an inch. Congdon's leg is improved, and he will show that this year.

It was reported last year that the coaches have told the kicker to put the ball short of the endzone on kickoffs. Not a bad philosophy as long as the kick coverage is making their tackles. Once Thenarse stops missing that first tackle: look out!

He doesn't kick them high enough for that to work, therefore that is a pretty dumb philosophy. So far he is 0-1 on field goals.

He's averaging kicking it about to the 10-12 yard line.

Exactly where he is told to kick it.

Listen, the point of the kick off isn't how far you can kick it. The team obviously tries to pin the offense inside the 20. It works if the kick is high enough to give your coverage time to get down.

That is harder this year with a tee that is an inch shorter.

We all loved to watch the kickers of old kick it out of the end zone, apparently it's hard to understand it's not the only way to play the game. if you have good coverage and a kicker that can place kicks where you want it, you can reliably put an offense behind the 20. TO doesn't coach here anymore, so apparently you won't see kicks through the uprights.

The kid's was a freshman all american. That's really all there is to say. Anything that cuts down that accomplishment is busch league at best.

Titchner has kicked pretty well in the three kick's hes had. Good placement, decent distance. But I am sure there's something wrong with that too. :dunno

A kicker that doesn't have a strong leg and made a bunch of chip shots last year. He fails to kick it anywhere near the endzone. A 42 yard average off of 4 punts is nothing great.

Kicks that Dyches and DeAngelis ROUTINELY missed? Just checking. :thumbs Sure, they are all chip shots, when the kicker makes them. He made the most pressure packed field goal in 5 years against Kansas St. Just because Frank Solich didn't recruit him, doesn't mean he isn't any good. There are so many kickers in the NFL that get sent packing on a monthly basis because they can boot the sh#t out of the ball and not necessarily make the easy ones. Gary and Morten Anderson stuck around till they were pushing 50 because they made almost everything inside 45 yards. What difference does it make if Congdon can kick it 55 yards or not? There is only one kicker that can hit 50 yarders with any sort of consistency, and his team sucks. What difference does it make? I'd rather have an 85% kicker that is money from 45 yards and in than a kicker that hits 70% and could possibly hit a 55 yarder. For some reason, you can't seem to get this simple concept through your concrete cranium.

Yeah, 42 yards with a net of 38 per punt sucks. I wish I had the money and the time to find the kind of dope that you smoke. :smokin

Listen, the point of the kick off isn't how far you can kick it. The team obviously tries to pin the offense inside the 20. It works if the kick is high enough to give your coverage time to get down.

I think that too much is made out of that statement. If its not working, then maybe its time to try kicking the ball into the endzone. From the game I watched (L Tech) by using this "strategy" Tech routinely got the ball between the 25-35 yard line, much like Michigan did last year, so the covergae teams aren't that great either. So if they aren't stopping them inside the 20, and aren't causing any turnovers, how is this "strategy" working?? On top of that, by attempting to cover every kick, they are putting their players at risk of injury, something that could devastate an already depleted secondary.

You can continue to buy this "philosophy" of giving the opponent the ball at the 30 consistently if you want, but the simple fact is that Congdon does not have the leg strength to get the ball into the endzone unless he has a 30 mph wind at his back.

I personally would rather see the opposing team start around the 20 all most of the game, as opposed to usually giving them the ball at the 30, while stopping them at the 17 once a game, that is, IF your kicker can get the ball there.

Call me weird :wacko:

Titchener is just the latest in a long line of wildly successful Husker punters. When Dan Hadenfelt left I was wondering, "Who is this Kyle Larson guy?" Look where he is now. Then suddenly I noticed the radio guys were calling a new name. I thought, "Who the heck is Sam Cook?" (I later found out it's spelled Koch). He only turned out to be one of the best punters we've ever had and a NFL starter already.

Give Titchener the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't done poorly. If recent history is any indication, he'll be a legend before he's gone. Give it some time.

Jordan Congdon is a solid kicker. He missed a 37-yarder inexplicably this year, but that happens (some said it was due to the effect of the rain) and everything he's shown otherwise has been outstanding. He iced the K-State game for us last year, too.

Have some faith in our guys.

A freshman all-american kicker and and a punter that averages over 42 yards a punt with a long of 53. They may not be the best at their positions across the nation but they are much better than what USC is going to roll out there.

Don't forget to notice that all 3 of USC's punters kicks were inside the 20. Ever think that they were pooch punts????doy

Well when two of them are caught at the 18 and 17, that should probally show that he wasn't that good at pooch punting.

I think that too much is made out of that statement. If its not working, then maybe its time to try kicking the ball into the endzone. From the game I watched (L Tech) by using this "strategy" Tech routinely got the ball between the 25-35 yard line, much like Michigan did last year, so the covergae teams aren't that great either. So if they aren't stopping them inside the 20, and aren't causing any turnovers, how is this "strategy" working?? On top of that, by attempting to cover every kick, they are putting their players at risk of injury, something that could devastate an already depleted secondary.

You can continue to buy this "philosophy" of giving the opponent the ball at the 30 consistently if you want, but the simple fact is that Congdon does not have the leg strength to get the ball into the endzone unless he has a 30 mph wind at his back.

I personally would rather see the opposing team start around the 20 all most of the game, as opposed to usually giving them the ball at the 30, while stopping them at the 17 once a game, that is, IF your kicker can get the ball there.

Call me weird :wacko:

OK your weird