Learning from history

junior4949

All I hear is guys saying it's going to take another year or two to get back to college prominance. The one thing I think we can look back in history to about Nebraska football is this: every time we played for and or won a national championship, we had a QB with experience. After this year, Taylor is gone. In comes a new guy and more than likely the transfer from Arizona. He has one year of college eligibility, so he's gone and no experience in the program. 2008 rolls around with yet once again a new QB. I'm guessing it will be at least 2009 or 2010 at best before we get a guy in there with much experience. I find it amazing how much rope we're willing to give this coaching staff to hang themselves.

Why is everyone so upset with BC playing not to get blown out? I mean come on. He did the same thing with OU a couple of years ago, and he's gonna use the same game plan against Texas this year. The one thing I find ironic about BC is how he came in here saying we're gonna take what we want, yet in a game he plays passively waiting for the other team to make a mistake. Maybe this will eventually work, but I always thought you had to play aggressively to beat a very good opponent.

I rewatched and rewatched the game. There was one instance where it was 2nd and 10 and Taylor walked over to the sidelines. You could read his lips as to what he said, something in regards to what are we gonna do punt? Obviously, he was very frustrated. BC said in the post game comments that we didn't have time to throw and Taylor would have gotten killed. OK, but what's different about this year compared to last year? I mean come on, Taylor got literally drilled last year on several occasions. I have to wonder how the players after the game feel about the play calling and "waiting for the other team to make a mistake"?

I realize that this game put BC between a rock and a hard place due to the drilling we took a few years back at the hands of Texas Tech. However, I believe we as fans would have been able to take a 30 point or greater margin at the hands of one of the highest ranked teams in the country better than we did against a lot lower ranked Texas Tech team. We will never win or probably never even play for a national championship with the game plan of waiting for the other team to make a mistake. Great teams don't do that, and great coaches don't do that.

This couldn't of went in any of the other hundred threads that is ripping the coach and questioning the play calling.

Anyways about your post: before the game, wouldn't you of been happy if Nebraska kept if close and had a chance to win the game in the fourth quarter. I don't see where you are coming from saying that all the fans would have been happier with a 30+ point margin of defeat as long as we tried to win. How the hell is losing by 30+ a chance to win. Keeping the game close gives you a better chance at winning than getting blown out by 30+. Please clarify how getting blown out by 30+ is going to make me feel better than a close game.

First of all 18 points is a 3 score lead, so it's not really very close. Secondly, a big thank you to Reggie Bush because all the publicity there more than likely is the cause of USC's playing extremely flat up until the 4th quarter. Thirdly, they easily could have scored on that last drive making the score even more lopsided. So, I don't think the score was all that close.

USC may have a ton of speed and talent, but they do not have very much experience. Their QB was starting just his 2nd game. Their running back broke his friggin leg. They were very inexperienced. One thing about lack of experience is that they are vulnerable. I don't think running it 95 percent of the time attacks that vulnerability. In 1997, NU was full of talent but it was young. Arizona State attacked that vulnerability as did Texas with both of them handing us losses. I for one don't think that either team was better than NU, but they attacked our inexperience. USC's offense played very flat against Arkansas for a little over a half. They played flat against us for nearly 3 quarters. USC is vulnerable this year, and I don't think for one minute they have a shot at a national championship. We could have been in this game, but we chose not to be.

Didn't we beat Michigan last year in a bowl game? They just beat the snot out of the #2 ranked team in the country. I don't think Carr was playing passively!!!!

Taylor has talent and is accurate. Herbstreit even mentioned that. Taylor had the right to be frustrated, he wanted to show his talents, at least try. The passes called were screens and dump offs (majority). Callahan wants us to buy into the "he would have gotten killed" theory. I dont buy into that. What a copout. We wont know b/c the veritcal passing game was not called on. It's all a guess. We do have talent that didnt get the opportunity.. No Taylor, no Swift, no Nunn, no Herian, no Purify, etc.

I feel bad for the guys that "dreamed" of this opportunity all year and all I saw was a three yard run and a cloud of smoke.

My opinions, as I am entitled to them. But we gotta move on now. No more threads about this game guys. No matter what just happened, let's move on please and rally behind the Huskers. We will be alright.

First of all 18 points is a 3 score lead, so it's not really very close. Secondly, a big thank you to Reggie Bush because all the publicity there more than likely is the cause of USC's playing extremely flat up until the 4th quarter. Thirdly, they easily could have scored on that last drive making the score even more lopsided. So, I don't think the score was all that close.

USC may have a ton of speed and talent, but they do not have very much experience. Their QB was starting just his 2nd game. Their running back broke his friggin leg. They were very inexperienced. One thing about lack of experience is that they are vulnerable. I don't think running it 95 percent of the time attacks that vulnerability. In 1997, NU was full of talent but it was young. Arizona State attacked that vulnerability as did Texas with both of them handing us losses. I for one don't think that either team was better than NU, but they attacked our inexperience. USC's offense played very flat against Arkansas for a little over a half. They played flat against us for nearly 3 quarters. USC is vulnerable this year, and I don't think for one minute they have a shot at a national championship. We could have been in this game, but we chose not to be.

Didn't we beat Michigan last year in a bowl game? They just beat the snot out of the #2 ranked team in the country. I don't think Carr was playing passively!!!!

Yes, we did lose by 18. But it was only 11 with 12 minutes to go in the game. We needed a defensive stop and we failed to get it. They could have tact on another touchdown at the end, but if we would have gotten a stop instead of letting them eat up seven minutes and add another seven on the board, we were right in the game. I for one feel a hell of a lot better being down only eleven points in the fourth quarter than being blown out 70-10 because we decided to throw the football.

This couldn't of went in any of the other hundred threads that is ripping the coach and questioning the play calling.

Anyways about your post: before the game, wouldn't you of been happy if Nebraska kept if close and had a chance to win the game in the fourth quarter. I don't see where you are coming from saying that all the fans would have been happier with a 30+ point margin of defeat as long as we tried to win. How the hell is losing by 30+ a chance to win. Keeping the game close gives you a better chance at winning than getting blown out by 30+. Please clarify how getting blown out by 30+ is going to make me feel better than a close game.

I would like to know when we can blame the players for some of this.

3 damn dropped interceptions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Poor blocking at times, especially on the goal line and other short yardage situations.

half dozen uncalled for penalties.