LJS: Glenn confused by lack of carries

I'll speak for the Rusk boys here, DJR......

A good bit of why we don't give a whole lot of props to Lucky is that he came in as a 5-star recruit and just hasn't been that impressive.

When I think of a 5-star recruit from Rivals, I think of names like Ted Ginn Jr., Jonathan Stewart from Oregon, Vince Young, and Adrian Peterson, guys that were also 5-star recruits from Rivals. It's hard for us not to think of Vince Young because we are all from Texas. Secondly, Palestine is one of our big rivals just right down the road and some of us have been watching AD run the ball since he was in middle school.

Why do I bring these names up? This is what I think of when I think of the term 5 star.

I just think Lucky is an adequate college back who does have some impressive moments but eventually just falls back to being average.

I also don't think the coaches want to demote Lucky yet because of the backlash it might cause and might hurt their ability to get other 5 star recruits in the future. The bottom line is that they need some more highly ranked recruiting classes to get where they want to be and possibly alienating 5 star recruits does not help you in that regard.

This is just my opinion and I know others swear Lucky is the greatest back ever and should start the rest of the season and we should never look back.

My eyes are still open to Lucky. Until he has a dominating performance, I still will have my doubts about him.

Yet Lucky's average per touch is still higher.  Weird. :hmmm

Luckys average yards per touch is higher, but Glenn's average yards per carry is higher.

So lets have Glenn catch a couple passes and then we'll compare per touch. Is that what you are trying to say? I'm just asking because I would hate to include all of a players stats and averages when making a case for how good someone is.

Look, the only time he had the same number of carries as Lucky, he outrushed him by 9 yards. Thats my point. Taking nothing away from Lucky, but after those numbers tell me how you give your leading rusher LESS carries he next week? It just dont make and sense, a damn three year old can see that. Ill admit, Glenn isnt the best receiver out of the backfield. Im sure you watch the games....tell me how many times you've seen Mr Glenn tackled for a loss or by one defender for that matter? It sucks for a back to come in the game and theres 11 players on the other side that know he's getting the ball so they load the box and he still gets positive yards. The only thing that makes me not like Lucky is the fact that the coaches have given him numerous chances to live up to his 5 star abilitiy and I just havent seen it.

As long as Lucky stays healthy and he performs on the field he will be the starter regardless of the committee comments. I like the way Cody runs. He is a brusing running back. But overall I think Callahan will play Wilson more. He can pound it up the middle and he has speed on the corners. He also has a good pair of hands. He caught quite a few passes down at that community college. Cody and Jackson will still get plenty of game time. But who knows what's going to happen. The way running backs tend to get injured any one of them could end up starting. But they are all talented.

Luckys average yards per touch is higher, but Glenn's average yards per carry is higher.

So lets have Glenn catch a couple passes and then we'll compare per touch. Is that what you are trying to say? I'm just asking because I would hate to include all of a players stats and averages when making a case for how good someone is.

What I'm saying is Glenn averages more yards per carry despite being given the ball in less than ideal situations (4 and 1, 3 and 2, 2 and goal from the 2). It's hard to average 5.5 ypc on a 3rd and goal when the most you can gain is 2 yds. He has to be making up for it somewhere.

I'll speak for the Rusk boys here, DJR......

A good bit of why we don't give a whole lot of props to Lucky is that he came in as a 5-star recruit and just hasn't been that impressive.

When I think of a 5-star recruit from Rivals, I think of names like Ted Ginn Jr., Jonathan Stewart from Oregon, Vince Young, and Adrian Peterson, guys that were also 5-star recruits from Rivals. It's hard for us not to think of Vince Young because we are all from Texas. Secondly, Palestine is one of our big rivals just right down the road and some of us have been watching AD run the ball since he was in middle school.

Why do I bring these names up? This is what I think of when I think of the term 5 star.

Before you get all wrapped up in stars, I have a question for you. Is it Lucky's fault that he was appointed a rating of 5 :star by Scout and Rivals? It's not like he proclaimed he was the best back. He is a humble individual, just like Glenn. I don't understand why he should be held to some sort of standard that is fitting of someone in your mind. Why not just judge him based on his performance rather than on how he was rated?

This is just my opinion and I know others swear Lucky is the greatest back ever and should start the rest of the season and we should never look back.

I don't think he is the greatest back ever, but he has done some things well so far and had a huge mistake. Ahman Green had a huge fumbling problem and I still think he is an awesome back, but that is a completely different story.

My eyes are still open to Lucky.  Until he has a dominating performance, I still will have my doubts about him.

Good, as well they should be. Lucky may never end up being a dominant back, but I think he will definitely be a very solid player. I have my doubts about Cody Glenn until I see him pass block and catch A pass. I have doubts about all 4 backs, because not one of them is a mega star, or yet at least.

What I'm saying is Glenn averages more yards per carry despite being given the ball in less than ideal situations (4 and 1, 3 and 2, 2 and goal from the 2). It's hard to average 5.5 ypc on a 3rd and goal when the most you can gain is 2 yds. He has to be making up for it somewhere.

Understandable. No worries.

As much as I love having three running backs, this is not going to go on for much longer, all three of these guys want to play, and they want to play now. Zac Taylor is a QB who just wants to win so he will stand back and let Callahan tell him what he needs to do for his part to get us in position to win, but with three running backs foaming at the mouth for carries someone is gonna have to bite the bullet and switch positions next year. Sam Keller is obviously out for an NFL career and throwing the ball in a big game like USC only 16 times isnt gonna make him happy and you know Callahan got down on his knees and begged Keller to come to Lincoln! (especially once Beck skipped town!!!) And im sure Kellers decision has something to do with the fact that he will get one last chance to take down USC when they visit Lincoln next year!! I see Wilson making a posistion change for the good of the team, there is no reason that he could not get a few carries here and there but let him hit the weight room and stick him on Defense and let him take aggression out on the opponent.

Any one here much about Keller yet??? Im interested to see if hes making the transition smoothly, no disrespect to Nebraska females but coming from ASU, he left some extremely beautiful ladies behind him!!!

As much as I love having three running backs, this is not going to go on for much longer, all three of these guys want to play, and they want to play now. Zac Taylor is a QB who just wants to win so he will stand back and let Callahan tell him what he needs to do for his part to get us in position to win, but with three running backs foaming at the mouth for carries someone is gonna have to bite the bullet and switch positions next year. Sam Keller is obviously out for an NFL career and throwing the ball in a big game like USC only 16 times isnt gonna make him happy and you know Callahan got down on his knees and begged Keller to come to Lincoln! (especially once Beck skipped town!!!) And im sure Kellers decision has something to do with the fact that he will get one last chance to take down USC when they visit Lincoln next year!! I see Wilson making a posistion change for the good of the team, there is no reason that he could not get a few carries here and there but let him hit the weight room and stick him on Defense and let him take aggression out on the opponent.

Any one here much about Keller yet??? Im interested to see if hes making the transition smoothly, no disrespect to Nebraska females but coming from ASU, he left some extremely beautiful ladies behind him!!!

I see Cody getting less and less game time. Lucky and Wilson are the go to backs. Both can run the ball and Wilson has a good pair of hands. As appealing as the committee approach sounds we need regular backs getting game time so they can keep getting better.

As far as Keller goes from what I've read he seems to be doing great. He still needs to master the terminology but Keller said the offense we run is very similar to ASU's. Including the shifts, movements and such. But I'd bet Callahan isn't regulating Keller to the normal redshirt QB duties on the scout team. I'm sure Callahan will make sure Keller is ready to go from the very first game.

Keller will be a Heisman candidate from the very first snap he takes next season.

The problem is Wilson is a unique talent. He has the potential to be that great back. Then you have Lucky and Jackson who are both very good receivers, so Callahan wants to utilize then in passing situations. That leaves Glenn, who is a very good back, and if it wasn't for Wilson, he would be playing more.

Glenn no doubt is more than just a power back. He has decent speed and quickness and has shown the ability to make a cut. But he apparently doesn't have the hands of Lucky and Jackson, and Wilson is perhaps almost as strong as Glenn with more explosiveness and is one of the fastest Rbs in the country. That unfortunately may leave Glenn out, even though he could start at many schools. With that many back, someone is going to get short changed unless a back or two gets injured. With four backs, it's quite possible someone will go down during the season.

DJR,

Regarding the whole Lucky and his 5 star rating issue, since you are in effect asking me to hold him to a lesser standard than I normally would have expected out of another 5 star recruit/player, that tells me all I need to know about your true feelings on Lucky.

The bottom line is that he is an above average to average Division I back that has shown some glimpses of excellence but has not been able to separate himself from the pack like would be expected of a 5 star player.

By suggesting that I not hold Lucky to such a high standard, I didn't expect you to support my argument so succinctly DJR, but thanks nonetheless.