LJS: Glenn confused by lack of carries

LJS: Glenn confused by lack of carries

He felt great physically.

There were no disciplinary issues, he said.

Consequently, Nebraska I-back Cody Glenn was uncertain why he didn’t carry the football during Saturday’s 28-10 loss at Southern California, he said Tuesday.

“I guess the coaches felt my game was such that I wasn’t ready to play in this kind of game,” Glenn said. “I don’t know — I’m just as lost as y’all. I have no idea.”

In Nebraska’s first two games this season, Glenn carried a total of 24 times for 135 yards and three touchdowns. His 24 carries had tied for second most among four Husker I-backs vying for playing time.

However, against Southern California, Nebraska used I-backs Kenny Wilson (19 carries for 46 yards), Marlon Lucky (10-27) and Brandon Jackson (2-1).

After averaging 80 plays in the first two games, Nebraska (2-1) ran only 53 against Southern California — which helps explain why Glenn didn’t receive any carries, Husker coach Bill Callahan said. He said Glenn still fits well in the offense’s plans.

“We’ve got great confidence in Cody,” Callahan said. “We’re very confident he’ll help us as we move on through the schedule.”

Husker coaches and players refer to the four-man I-back rotation as “the committee.”

Asked if he figured there might be games this season in which he didn’t carry the ball, Glenn said, “Not really — not to where somebody doesn’t play at all. I knew there was going to be games when some people’s carries would be down and some people’s would be up.”

The 6-foot, 230-pound Glenn, a sophomore from Rusk, Texas, often is used in short-yardage and goal-line situations. Early in the fourth quarter, with Nebraska facing fourth-and-goal at Southern California’s 1-yard line, Glenn thought he might enter the game. But Husker running backs coach Randy Jordan balked at inserting Glenn because he hadn’t carried the ball all night and wasn’t used to getting hit, Glenn said.

“They’re the coaches, so I can’t really do anything about it,” Glenn said. “(The Trojans) have a really fast defense, so I guess they wanted the faster guys in.”

Last season, as a true freshman, Glenn rushed 45 times for 131 yards and four touchdowns. He said he plans to keep pushing hard in practice.

“I work hard every time we’re out here,” he said. “I never take a play off. That’s not me. That’s just not the way I am. I’m going to continue to practice the way I practice, and whatever happens, happens.”

***SNIP***

“They’re the coaches, so I can’t really do anything about it,” Glenn said. “(The Trojans) have a really fast defense, so I guess they wanted the faster guys in.”

***SNIP***

I think that's precisely the reason he didn't play. The holes closed too quickly - and the coaches could see that in the tapes when they broke down the film. Glenn may have speed, but perhaps not the quick, immediate burst the others have. That means that the best chance to run is to have the backs with the quickest bursts in there to try and hit the hole before it closed.

He's going to get a lot of carries and be an integral part of the team. This was simply a case of the oppoent dictating the personnel.

Exactly we all know how fast Lucky can hit the holes!!!! I seen it in the La. Tech game and one of those times I even let a holy s*^t when he hit the hole because he was just that fast!!!! :blink:

Yeah, but Lucky appeared hesitant against USC. It looked like he was waiting for a bigger crease every time instead of pushing forward with what was given to him.

I am in awe of Coach Jordan. I mean the guy looks like a genius.

His rushing attack averaged 1.9 yards last Saturday.

He doesn't put Glenn in on the goal line situation because he is concerned about a fumble. The answer? He puts in Wilson who has already fumbled twice this season and lost one!

Jordan wants his all out speed guys carrying the ball in the game where the typical run is averaging 1.9 yards meaning the backs are getting hit AND tackled very soon, on average. Interesting that he didn't want the team's best tackle breaking back carrying the ball at all.

Don't get me wrong....I think Kenny Wilson has earned the starting spot for the Troy game. Probably won't happen though.

***SNIP***

�They�re the coaches, so I can�t really do anything about it,� Glenn said. �(The Trojans) have a really fast defense, so I guess they wanted the faster guys in.�

***SNIP***

I think that's precisely the reason he didn't play. The holes closed too quickly - and the coaches could see that in the tapes when they broke down the film. Glenn may have speed, but perhaps not the quick, immediate burst the others have. That means that the best chance to run is to have the backs with the quickest bursts in there to try and hit the hole before it closed.

He's going to get a lot of carries and be an integral part of the team. This was simply a case of the oppoent dictating the personnel.

Exactly. So combine his "half step" slower lateral quicks with an alleged "ankle issue" from practice earlier in the week - I dont care if he was "fully recovered" from it - any ankle sprains can have subtle lingering effects - and you have a back that isn't an ideal play against LBs & DEs that ARE at 1,000%.

Other people have commented that 40 times are overrated, and evenso Cody is neck/neck so it's moot - and I couldnt agree more. But what isnt something to ignore is that first step off the line - and times in drills like the 10-yd dash or shuttle run. I'd be interested to see where CG stacks up against the others using those measurables. :dunno

But what didnt make much sense to me, was that if they were trying to fight speed-w-speed, why didnt they run more sweeps or pitches? b/c it seemed that most were into the teeth of the D, where I could see a player like Glenn being more effective. But with SCs blinding speed, maybe they felt not even our burners could get to the outside, and were hoping that more holes would open up, which didnt. :bang

Either way, I realize that the coaches spent over 1,000 hrs combined watching game-film & preparing strategy for SC, which they do for a living - and I watched highlights from the Arkansas game, and last yrs nat champ game - so Im still about 1 Sportscenter away from taking a coaching position at the U. :lol:

I still have faith they are competent, and know whats best. Time will tell - not 1 loss to a team that will probably become the NFLs L.A. expansion team by years end.

Stay strong, stay united Husker Nation.

:bonez

I don't see how you can say that Lucky hits the holes quicker because he don't. He gets the ball and automatically is looking to run outside and try to outrun the defense every play. He doesn't want to go inside the tackles where he might get hit hard and hurt his arm. Lucky should be in the game on 3 situations....a screen, toss right or left, or as a receiver in passing downs. If their defense was so fast then we shouldnt have tried to outrun them, lets maybe OVERPOWER them with our BEST back. Its pretty obvious when every person that knows anything about football is asking where Glenn was against USC? come on Callahan, wake up!

None of the backs have seperated themselves from the others, but in all fairness to Glenn (Wilson is my guy), you have to get the rock to prove yourself too; cant do it on the sidelines. Without dedhoarse , we could've tried to shove it down their (USC) throats more with guys like Glenn and Wilson. If you can't go around 'em, go through 'em, but you gotta have a O-Line to help you out a little bit too.

:restore