New board features - get info / ask questions here...

Just wanted to start a central place for discussion about the new board features. There are no dumb questions when it comes to usability - I know new features can sometimes be daunting after youve grown accustomed to something - so dont hesitate to ask. Please express all thoughts - what you dont like, what you would like to see, things you are confused about, whatever.

I'll start with a couple -

Multiple/old buttons:

-If you are still seeing old buttons mixed with new ones, you probably need to clear your browser cache. I noticed on another cpu I use, it had 2 quote buttons (one old / one new) until I deleted the old image files it had saved. If you need to know how to do this, just ask.

-Quotes:

The new quote function allows you to select multiple posts to quote in a single reply. Here is how it works:

1) After reviewing a topic, if you see 1 or more posts you want to reference in your reply, click on the Quote button at the bottom of their post.

2) This will cause the button to change from a "+" to a "-". This simply indicates you have selected that post to quote, and can be turned on and off before making your reply.

3) After you are done selecting the posts to quote, click on the Reply button at the bottom of that particular post, or the Add Reply button at the bottom of that Topic, and the Quotes you selected will appear in your new post.

-Gallery:

This is a new feature that allows members to create photo albums, for personal or public viewing. However, it isn't working quite yet - we are looking into a fix and it should be available soon.

Any other new features you have questions about, or even if you dont and noticed a new cool feature, please share it here so others that might not have noticed can learn about it.

Thanks!

Before when you would log in it would show only the posts that have been replied to since you last logged in (they were highlighted) has this changed or am I just losing my mind??? Also when you go to the main huskerboard.com page and you see all the different sections are the icons on the left going to stay that way or are they going to go back to the pulsating HB thing??? I like the board so far just have to get used to it once again......... :woo

Before when you would log in it would show only the posts that have been replied to since you last logged in (they were highlighted) has this changed or am I just losing my mind??? Also when you go to the main huskerboard.com page and you see all the different sections are the icons on the left going to stay that way or are they going to go back to the pulsating HB thing??? I like the board so far just have to get used to it once again......... :woo

Let's start with the new posts. There are two kinds - forums and threads.

Forums. When you first log on to the board, you should see all the catagories - Husker Football, Classifieds, etc. If any of those categories have new posts since your last visit, you should see this icon beside them:

bf_new.gif

If there are no new posts in that category, the icon looks like this:

bf_nonew.gif

Once you're in a specific category - say, Husker Football - any threads with new posts since your last visit should have a very small icon beside the title that looks like this:

newpost.gif

If you click that icon, it will take you to the first new post in that thread since you last logged on.

To the left of that icon is a larger icon. What it will look like depends on a number of factors - whether there are new posts, how many total posts there are, etc. So, there isn't a single icon to look for in that case.

Not sure about your other question, but Blackshirt should be able to tell you. He still has some changes to make, I think, and it's very time-consuming, so hang tight.

Not completely sure what you're asking here. You can still get a list of new topics by clicking on the "View New Posts" link next to "my controls" - or the "Today's Active Topics" link at the bottom of the home-page. Is this what you were looking for, or did AR answer your question?

Also, yes I'll be replacing the blue icons with the red HB heartbeat ones soon. Many imgs were unexpectedly replaced with default imgs during the transfer, so I have to recreate them. Good times! :)

One thing I noticed is with the email notification. I have selected notify me immediately. It does so, but now I am getting more than 1 email per topic since the last time I viewed it. In the email, it says only 1 email will be sent out per board visit per topic. Just curious if this has changed or if the verbage in the email just needs updated.

I am trying to find the "read all" button....There used to be one, so I could click on it and it would automatically assume I read the entire forums, so when I came back in, the only forums it would show are the recent posts. Am I not finding that option?

Nevermind...I figured it out! :dumdum

For those who might also be looking for that option, here's the trick:

1. There is no longer an option to click a single link and to mark all posts on the entire board as read.

2. You can, however, mark all posts in a forum as read; i.e., all the posts in Classifieds, or Husker Football.

3. When in a forum, look for the button below. It should be at the upper right of the page in the red horizontal line:

option.jpg

4. Click that button, and you'll see this list of options:

options.jpg

5. If you want to mark all the posts in that forum as read and then return to that forum, click the option in the red circle:

options1.jpg

6. If you want to mark all the posts in that forum as read and then return to the main forum page (also called the Board Index), then click the option in the red circle:

options2.jpg

Just remember - either of those options mark all the posts in the forum as read - not just the posts in a particular thread.

USING THE IGNORE FUNCTION

Let's face it - every one in a while a poster comes along that sets your teeth on edge. Life would be so much more pleasant if you didn't have to even see his posts, right? Well, the new board software gives you that option. Here's what to do if you want to "hide" all posts by a particular member...

1. Find a post by that member, and then click his or her username, as shown in red, below:

profilex.jpg

2. You'll be taken to that user's Profile page. At the upper right you will see this button:

profile.jpg

3. Click that button to get these options:

profile1.jpg

4. Now, just click the option circled in red, below:

profile2.jpg

There you go - you won't see that member's post anymore!