Anyone else getting tired of being polite?

You wanted smack talking before the game from the players?? How's this? :bonez

Huskers take aim on K-State QB who reneged

ERIC OLSON

Associated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. - The story goes that Josh Freeman's father sent a text message instead of calling Nebraska coaches to tell them his son was backing out of his verbal commitment and signing with Kansas State.

What would Nebraska linebacker Corey McKeon's message be if he were to text Freeman this week?

"I'll see you Saturday," McKeon said in his best pro wrestler voice.

Nebraska fans have anticipated the Kansas State game since last winter - not so much because it's been 10 years since the Huskers have won in Manhattan, Kan., but because they want to see the Blackshirt defense get after the kid who insulted them by switching allegiances before signing day.

Coach Bill Callahan wanted to change the subject when Freeman came up at his news conference Tuesday.

Asked about that famous text message, a smiling Callahan said: "Oh, there you go again. There you go again. That's over. Recruiting is over. It's time to play. So we're excited about playing and they're a good football team... Let me put a few more coachspeak words in there. Next question, please."

Callahan wasn't so forgiving at an Omaha speaking engagement last spring when he alluded to Freeman.

"If you're a prima donna or if you're a drama queen, there's no room for you at Nebraska," he said. "You can go to Kansas State."

Freeman said Tuesday in Manhattan that he had heard about the remark but didn't think much of it.

"Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. That's his opinion," he said. "There's nothing I can do about it."

The fans, many of whom live and die with Nebraska recruiting fortunes, won't be so quick to forget.

"I have a lot of respect for coach Callahan and the things he's done as a coach. I think he respects me as a player," Freeman said. "I don't feel like there's any bad blood between me and Nebraska people. Maybe the fans, but not the coaches."

McKeon said he's received e-mail messages from fans fueling the Freeman fire, which started in December after he broke his long-standing verbal commitment after being wooed by new Kansas State coach Ron Prince.

"Husker Nation is going to be happy he's starting this game," McKeon said.

Freeman, a 6-foot-6, 238-pounder from Kansas City, Mo., made his first start in last week's 31-27 win over Oklahoma State. He ran for the winning 21-yard touchdown and completed 10 of 15 passes for 177 yards.

Callahan said Freeman's size, running ability and arm were on display against the Cowboys.

"Those three ingredients are what we looked at when we recruited him," Callahan said.

Defensive end Jay Moore said he wouldn't be targeting Freeman because of his recruiting shenanigan.

"He's like any other quarterback I'd like to meet up close and personal," Moore said.

I agree with this post very much. I don't think NE fans are "the greatest fans". There is no greatest fans in the country. It won't be until probably at least 2 more generations of season ticket holders where the crowd will create a hostile environment. These blue hairs act like Memorial Stadium is an effing church or something.

Does everyone remember the Fiesta Bowl in 95. All the players said the appropriate things before the game. After the game 1 or 2 of the players said 'We knew the game was ours." I was glad they didn't say that before the game and kind of disappointed they said it after the game. "Act like you've been there before." Words to live by, less someone is shooting at you then run like he!!.(florida teams). :)

GBR

What I like seeing is teams and players that act like cocky idiots, that run-off at the mouth, and continuously show-boat; get their butts kicked. I have noticed, that it is the good teams and the confident teams that don't have to act in such a manner (mostly, unless you are Terrell Owens or Randy Moss and look how annoying these two pinheads are). I certainly hope that NU is above this type of professional wrestling-like behavior. I have always felt that it is not only how we played, but how we acted that set us apart from teams like Miami and Florida State.

What I like seeing is teams and players that act like cocky idiots, that run-off at the mouth, and continuously show-boat; get their butts kicked. I have noticed, that it is the good teams and the confident teams that don't have to act in such a manner (mostly, unless you are Terrell Owens or Randy Moss and look how annoying these two pinheads are). I certainly hope that NU is above this type of professional wrestling-like behavior. I have always felt that it is not only how we played, but how we acted that set us apart from teams like Miami and Florida State.

I agree...cocky players who think they're the second coming of Christ for a team should be put down on the turf.

But I'm talking about the Adre Jones' quote. The ones who say positive things for their team and not just themselves. He wasn't saying "Watch me kick Jarrette's ass"....he was saying "When we beat this team." He was speaking positively about his teams ability to play on the national level. And he received guff for it.

And then players like Moore who say "He's like any other quarterback...." You know he has stronger feelings of knockin' Freeman on his ass than he does about the Nicholls State QB. Same thing with Freeman saying it's just another game to him. Players and coaches have vendettas just like us fans do. It's just for some reason they're not allowed to let the public see it otherwise it's considered unsportsman like.

I agree...cocky players who think they're the second coming of Christ for a team should be put down on the turf.

But I'm talking about the Adre Jones' quote. The ones who say positive things for their team and not just themselves. He wasn't saying "Watch me kick Jarrette's ass"....he was saying "When we beat this team." He was speaking positively about his teams ability to play on the national level. And he received guff for it.

And then players like Moore who say "He's like any other quarterback...." You know he has stronger feelings of knockin' Freeman on his ass than he does about the Nicholls State QB. Same thing with Freeman saying it's just another game to him. Players and coaches have vendettas just like us fans do. It's just for some reason they're not allowed to let the public see it otherwise it's considered unsportsman like.

I think the Andre Jones situation was completely blown out of proportion. That being said, if they can't back up their words, they make themselves and the team look a little foolish in some eyes. Even though they may have vendettas, they are not fans and I would not like them to act as such. Even though most fans are pleasant and well-behaved, I would not like a team that took it's behavioral cues from the likes of the Husker Elvis's or god-forbid CU fans. I don't necessarily think it is an "unsportsman-like" thing as much a professionalism thing. Yes, they are probably thinking things like "When we beat this team" but what good can come from saying it? What good did come from saying it?

I am a big believer in the saying, walk softly, carry a big stick. I have no respect for athletes who go out and make fools of themselves talking smack to make themselves feel superior. Go out on the field and prove that you are a man and are going to kick someone's a$$ play after play. After you know them down, help them up and tell them it is coming again.

I do not want college football turning into the NFL (i.e. TO or Chad Johnson)!! These two have ruined the game and should be ashamed of themselves.

As far as the "blue hairs" that are at Memorial Stadium....that stadium would not be what it is without them. When you are 70+ years old I highly doubt you will be getting all drunk and screaming and yelling for the entire game. Give them the respect that they deserve. :rant

I don't think you should classify TO and Chad Johnson in the same group. They both like to talk but TO is a misfit for his team (all of them), while Chad Johnson helps his team and only pisses off the commissioner with all of his touchdown celebrations (which I think are fine and the league should not punish players for celebrating if they are not in the face of their opponents).

Most young people who only have watched pro football (and college really to some extent) for the last 15 or 20 years, dont even realize what they are missing. There was a time before their modern era point of reference,when players were frickin tough,played injured all the time,weren't primadonnas,didn't gyrate like a retard if they scored a touchdown,respected their coaches and team owners,didn't get in trouble, didn't jump from team to team like mercinaries,and had loyalty to the team that drafted them.Unless you are old enough to have witnessed it, you cant fathom how far it has run amuck.