Texas Defense

The teams that Texas has beat (besides OU) are not that great at running the football. Hopefully we can not only run on them when we want but use our run to set up some play action and vice versa.

Our run defense is very salty and is the strength of the D. The pass defense largely depends on who we're going to field. It we start Brown, Ma. Griffin, Mi. Griffin & Ross in the backfield, then I'll be comfortable. If Brown and Ma. Griffin can't go, it's a whole different story. We started a freshman in Brown's place last weekend and it showed.

I think Nebraska will be able to pick up some yards on the ground, but I doubt you'll be able to run on the Texas defense "when you want".

KSUcks was supposed to have a salty run defense as well...

I think for the most part, they played the run pretty decently aside from the 2 big runs that we had. I don't think the skers will have their way with UT's run defense. Hopefully some better luck than we had against USC. Keep em off balance and ripe for play action. If NU can't move the ball on the ground, it will be a tough day.

KSUcks was supposed to have a salty run defense as well...

I think for the most part, they played the run pretty decently aside from the 2 big runs that we had. I don't think the skers will have their way with UT's run defense. Hopefully some better luck than we had against USC. Keep em off balance and ripe for play action. If NU can't move the ball on the ground, it will be a tough day.

I agree. UT is by far the best run defense we have seen. I think we are better now than we were against SC, so our running game totals in that game are a bit misleading. Nevertheless, we have a big task in front of us. UT's front four is big and active, and will give our line a bunch of trouble. If we run for 150 yards, it will be a feat.

We have to run well enough to keep the UT defense honest. Ultimately, we have to throw the ball down the field to win, but we can't do that if we become one-dimensional.

Ahem....C-west? I have to cordially ask that you change your avatar and be a huskerboard team player :lol::lol:

The teams that Texas has beat (besides OU) are not that great at running the football.

Yep they're not. Here's the national rankings(with their yards per game average) for Rushing Offense

North Texas 106th/87ydpg

Ohio St 44th/155ydpg

Rice 86th/110ydpg

Iowa St 94th/101ydpg

Sam Houston (1-AA) 75th/120ydpg

OU 25th/172ydpg

Baylor 119th/39ydpg

Nebraska is ranked 11th/207ydpg.

So while UT may be the best rushing defense we'll have played all year, NU will be the highest ranked Rushing Offense UT has faced all year at this point. And like you said, these stats are/could be a bit misleading when you consider the teams UT faced. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you consider who NU has played this year, is our Rush Offense that good or are the rush defenses of our opponents that bad? USC was able to stop the run pretty effectively.

I guess we'll find out who has the real deal on the ground come Saturdaya :restore

Ahem....C-west? I have to cordially ask that you change your avatar and be a huskerboard team player :lol::lol:

The teams that Texas has beat (besides OU) are not that great at running the football.

Yep they're not. Here's the national rankings(with their yards per game average) for Rushing Offense

North Texas 106th/87ydpg

Ohio St 44th/155ydpg

Rice 86th/110ydpg

Iowa St 94th/101ydpg

Sam Houston (1-AA) 75th/120ydpg

OU 25th/172ydpg

Baylor 119th/39ydpg

Nebraska is ranked 11th/207ydpg.

So while UT may be the best rushing defense we'll have played all year, NU will be the highest ranked Rushing Offense UT has faced all year at this point. And like you said, these stats are/could be a bit misleading when you consider the teams UT faced. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you consider who NU has played this year, is our Rush Offense that good or are the rush defenses of our opponents that bad? USC was able to stop the run pretty effectively.

I guess we'll find out who has the real deal on the ground come Saturdaya :restore

Almost every one of the teams listed have passing based offenses. (hence the stats) The only group with a good running game was OU, but our defense did a hell of a job keeping Peterson in check.

I'm not speaking on stats so much as the overall talent of our defensive line. It's definitely the strength of our team, so if Nebraska's able to run the ball on us, it could translate into victory.

You know, I think that the old ball coach might pull out a gameplan that no one has seen or expects for this game. I think that we are going to throw the ball 75% of the time in this game. Callahan has openly said that the biggest reason he wanted to make the running game a big part of the offense is to be able to win on the road. The team in comfortable with the noise level, the turf, and the gameday environment at Memorial Stadium... I guess its just my gut feeling, but I think we may see an Iowa State gameplan from last year on Saturday, but who knows?