Solich is OUT!!!

Blackshirt

I think the LJS took this too far. Just not right. THere are some things you need to let work themselves out within the family. Overall it only hurts the program by not giving Frank the chance to leave with dignity. And if this isnt true for some reason, or he decides to stay (b/c I dont think he'll be fired if he doesnt step down), there will only be gossip and rumors the entire off season which will hurt our recruiting. Very very stupid move by the Hack of a paper the star. :( It was a weak attempt to establish themselves outside of the shadow of the OWH, and they failed miseralbly. :blink:

Read the article here...

http://www.journalstar.com/local.php?story_id=100671

or here:

Athletic Director Steve Pederson wants Frank Solich out as Nebraska's head football coach, according to three sources close to the situation.

Pederson will try to persuade the sixth-year head coach to formally announce his retirement following NU's Nov. 28 game at Colorado, offering him a job in the Athletic Department and a lucrative buyout package, said the sources, who agreed to talk on the condition they not be identified.

"He wants Frank gone. He's made up his mind,"said a longtime, out-of-state booster with close ties to the department.

The sources said Nebraska's first-year athletic director reached his decision eight days ago after watching fans stream for the exits early in the fourth quarter of Nebraska's 38-9 loss to Kansas State, its worst home defeat in 45 years. The blowout, NU's second on national television this month, appeared to bore ABC sportscasters before the network cut to a more competitive game. It also came on the heels of Pederson's Nov. 6 news conference announcing a $40 million fund-raiser for new athletic facilities.

"Texas and Kansas State weren't competitive games. They were the straws that broke the camel's back," said a Texas booster also with strong ties to the program. After the K-State game, the source said, Pederson walked to the skyboxes to reassure boosters that "we're going to do something; don't get upset."

Pederson denies he has spoken to anyone about a plan to force Solich's retirement, and former Coach Tom Osborne and some of the program's biggest boosters deny they have heard such a plan.

"I am on the record as saying Ihave not discussed this matter publicly or privately," Pederson said at the Devaney Center Saturday night, where he was attending the NUmen's basketball season opener. The athletic director refused further comment. Solich also declined to comment.

"I haven't heard anything about it," Osborne said.

"I swear on a stack of Bibles that Steve has never given me any indication at all about what he'd decided as to what he's going to do with Frank Solich,"said Dan Cook, a longtime booster and benefactor for the Cook Pavillion, NU's indoor practice field.

The three sources who spoke to the Journal Star tell a different story.

In the last week, the athletic director has met privately with a select few millionaire boosters to gauge support for his decision, they said. They also believe Pederson has arranged Solich's buyout package but hasn't yet presented it to the head coach, who makes $1.1 million annually.

The only thing left for the athletic director to do is to get Solich to accept his own retirement, the sources said.

If the coach refuses to go quietly, Pederson may not be willing to fire him, they said. The situation could be complicated by pro-Solich boosters who contribute heavily to the program and may balk at the firing of a man who first entered the program in 1962, Bob Devaney's first year as head coach.

"Steve has to do this with some class and grace,"said the Texas booster. "(The boosters)want Frank to be able to bow out with some dignity."

Solich's retirement would come quickly after the Colorado game, to ensure that as little damage as possible is done to NU's recruiting efforts, the sources said.

It would also end a quarter-century coaching career at Nebraska, and a six-year head coaching stint marked by early success and marred by last season's 7-7 campaign.

Solich owns a 57-22 career record as a head coach. He won 49 games during his first five seasons, more than either Devaney or Tom Osborne won in their first five campaigns.

The Husker coach's .754 winning percentage during those five seasons ranked him sixth among all active coaches.

NU has also lost nine of its last 12 games away from Memorial Stadium under Solich. They've lost three games by a combined 70 points this year, including the 29-point home loss to Kansas State.

Solich also presided over the 2002 Huskers, responsible for NU's worst record since 1961.

Coach Bill Jennings was fired after that season, and Devaney was hired, ushering in a new era of Nebraska football.

The failure to sustain what Devaney created is what drives Pederson's decision, a Lincoln booster close to the situation said.

"It's more than wins and losses,"he said. "Frank does not instill the confidence in Pederson that he'd like to see."

That assessment of Solich's tenure doesn't sit well with Osborne, who hired Solich in 1979 and hand-picked his longtime assistant to take over following Osborne's retirement after the 1998 Orange Bowl.

"Iwould certainly think Frank will coach two more games and be there next year," Osborne said from Washington, D.C., Saturday morning.

Solich will undoubtedly coach one more game, but the outcome against Colorado won't change Pederson's mind, the sources say.

In fact, the sources said a Colorado win could actually help Pederson convince Solich that he should retire on a high note.

Otherwise, Solich may fight harder to stay, convinced he's being shoved out unfairly, according to the longtime, out-of-state booster.

Then: "Things could get ugly."

I read this article too... Seems to me the entire blame is on Solich... Thing that dissapoints me is the fact that I truely believe we actually brought in some assistant coachs who do coach and should be solid recruiters... How do you allow someone to put a new staff together and only give them one year... seems a little to quick... But I always go back to the thought that when Solich took over we had amazing talent... In 1999 we were the best team in the country (f'ing Texas)... and look how far it has falling since. Its Solich that did lead to this situation... Argh... I just have mixed emotions about it...

But reality is that I care more about winning and getting to that point quickly then I do about making sure Solich is given a fair shot. If there is a coach that SP has planned out to take over then maybe this is his stratigic move on his part... but I believe SP will do whats best of NU and return us to our thrown...

Not sure any of us can stand watching Kstate have their way with us at home... Some things should never happen at a school with history and tradition...

On another fourm people are already saying Walt Harris will be the replacement... His offense is pratically west coast... which is kinda of an interesting twist... oh well...

Go Big Red

Guest Visitor_huskerbob

I just read the LJS article. It's one thing for this stuff to be

on the Sports pages, but it's quite another for LJS to print

an article like this without named sources.

I have mixed feelings. I don't know how many more records

I can watch falling by the wayside. After the K-St game, it's

obvious to me that the string of consecutive sell-outs will

be one of the next to bite the dust. I have better things to

do on fall afternoons than watch the Huskers get hammered at home.

Now, because of either Solich or Cottons bull-headedness, we'll

be heading into 2004 without an experienced quarterback.

It looks fairly bleak for the immediate future.

GO RED!

All good points. I'm sure it looks that bleak for the future. Anytime you have a defensive coordinator and defense returning many of its starters you've got a chance to win a decent amount of games.

It's really got to be talent. In '99 Solich had a lot of Osborne's recruits. This year I really see a difference in recruiting. At least this year many of the top 100 are considering the Huskers unlike the past couple of years.

Osborne was able to get more time for his QB's baecause the won so many games by a huge margin, but those game across the country are few and far between anywhere now. What about Frost in '96, he didn't get anytime the year before.

I really don't know where I stand on this issue, but I'm really leaning toward Solich staying. Needs time with his new staff.

Eric "the Red"

This is a lose lose situation. either way it shakes out, the program takes steps backwards. no way a new coach that comes in is going to make an immediate impact. we have great assistant coaches now and need to give them an opp to gel. our defense already has made huge strides, and the offense always naturally takes longer to evolve - see the red white scrimmage scores every spring in every team across the country - this is normal.

right now pedersons hand has been tipped and i dont think they have a choice but to make a move. the "soures close to the program" wouldnt have made those bold statements w/out some certainty. even though pederson didnt make these statements directly, and he may have already done some other good things, I think this makes him look very shady. he couldve controlled those rumors - by keeping his mouth SHUT. he has to know better.

We lose even if he brings in walt harris - who I think is a great coach - b/c there will be a huge learning curve and adjustment period. With solich I think we are poised to compete w/ OU next season, with Harris we are not. And if pederson brings in anyone it will be Harris. he has strong ties to him, and has alluded to this already, and wouldnt pass up the opp to bring in "his guy" who he already got credit for bringing in to resurrect Pitt, and would love the cred for restoring NU to glory, even if Solich was just as capable. Pederson is already showing signs of being an ego maniac - and we thought we were rid of Mr Byrnes and Smithers. :(

I agree with the point by bigredmachine that we also lose if Solich stays - even though as I said this is the right move. we lose b/c yes it will impact recruiting, b/c this completely undermines solich's integrity and authority. Pederson complains of Solichs lack of authority and confidence that he instills, but then he completely perpetuates it by pulling this stunt. I heard he was smiliing during the kstate loss, almost as if a wicked old man cackling at someones demise.

turmoil is never good for a program. I also agree that a change may not be completely bad, but let Solich go with dignity and on his own terms. good for everyone, unlike the current mess. :blink:

GBR

redcountry

Espn has caught hold of the story or rumor. Things are going to get interesting. Bad timing?? You could say yes , but also no. If he is gone than there will be plenty of time to get a coach in to help recruiting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1669092

Associated Press

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska's athletic director will try to persuade coach Frank Solich to retire after the team's final regular season game, The Lincoln Journal Star reported Sunday.

A department spokeswoman said neither the athletic director, Steve Pederson, nor Solich would comment on the report.

"We're not going to respond to rumors," Chris Anderson told The Associated Press.

The newspaper, citing unnamed Nebraska boosters, said Pederson wants to offer Solich another job in the athletic department and a buyout package. Solich makes $1.1 million a year in a contract that runs through the 2005 season.

Pederson, in his first year as athletic director, told the newspaper he hasn't spoken to anyone about a plan to force Solich out.

Solich, 59, is in his sixth season as head coach and holds a 57-22 record. However, the Huskers (No. 23 ESPN/USA Today, No. 25 AP) have been inconsistent since he took over for Tom Osborne, who retired after the 1997 season.

Nebraska won the Big 12 title in 1999 and played for the national title in 2001, but last year the team finished without a winning record, going 7-7, for the first time since 1961.

The Huskers now stand at 8-3, 4-3 in the Big 12, having suffered lopsided losses to Missouri, Texas and Kansas State.

Nebraska plays Colorado on Friday.

• 9 years later...
I think the LJS took this too far. Just not right. THere are some things you need to let work themselves out within the family. Overall it only hurts the program by not giving Frank the chance to leave with dignity. And if this isnt true for some reason, or he decides to stay (b/c I dont think he'll be fired if he doesnt step down), there will only be gossip and rumors the entire off season which will hurt our recruiting. Very very stupid move by the Hack of a paper the star. :( It was a weak attempt to establish themselves outside of the shadow of the OWH, and they failed miseralbly. :blink:

Read the article here...

http://www.journalstar.com/local.php?story_id=100671

or here:

Athletic Director Steve Pederson wants Frank Solich out as Nebraska's head football coach, according to three sources close to the situation.

Pederson will try to persuade the sixth-year head coach to formally announce his retirement following NU's Nov. 28 game at Colorado, offering him a job in the Athletic Department and a lucrative buyout package, said the sources, who agreed to talk on the condition they not be identified.

"He wants Frank gone. He's made up his mind,"said a longtime, out-of-state booster with close ties to the department.

The sources said Nebraska's first-year athletic director reached his decision eight days ago after watching fans stream for the exits early in the fourth quarter of Nebraska's 38-9 loss to Kansas State, its worst home defeat in 45 years. The blowout, NU's second on national television this month, appeared to bore ABC sportscasters before the network cut to a more competitive game. It also came on the heels of Pederson's Nov. 6 news conference announcing a $40 million fund-raiser for new athletic facilities.

"Texas and Kansas State weren't competitive games. They were the straws that broke the camel's back," said a Texas booster also with strong ties to the program. After the K-State game, the source said, Pederson walked to the skyboxes to reassure boosters that "we're going to do something; don't get upset."

Pederson denies he has spoken to anyone about a plan to force Solich's retirement, and former Coach Tom Osborne and some of the program's biggest boosters deny they have heard such a plan.

"I am on the record as saying Ihave not discussed this matter publicly or privately," Pederson said at the Devaney Center Saturday night, where he was attending the NUmen's basketball season opener. The athletic director refused further comment. Solich also declined to comment.

"I haven't heard anything about it," Osborne said.

"I swear on a stack of Bibles that Steve has never given me any indication at all about what he'd decided as to what he's going to do with Frank Solich,"said Dan Cook, a longtime booster and benefactor for the Cook Pavillion, NU's indoor practice field.

The three sources who spoke to the Journal Star tell a different story.

In the last week, the athletic director has met privately with a select few millionaire boosters to gauge support for his decision, they said. They also believe Pederson has arranged Solich's buyout package but hasn't yet presented it to the head coach, who makes $1.1 million annually.

The only thing left for the athletic director to do is to get Solich to accept his own retirement, the sources said.

If the coach refuses to go quietly, Pederson may not be willing to fire him, they said. The situation could be complicated by pro-Solich boosters who contribute heavily to the program and may balk at the firing of a man who first entered the program in 1962, Bob Devaney's first year as head coach.

"Steve has to do this with some class and grace,"said the Texas booster. "(The boosters)want Frank to be able to bow out with some dignity."

Solich's retirement would come quickly after the Colorado game, to ensure that as little damage as possible is done to NU's recruiting efforts, the sources said.

It would also end a quarter-century coaching career at Nebraska, and a six-year head coaching stint marked by early success and marred by last season's 7-7 campaign.

Solich owns a 57-22 career record as a head coach. He won 49 games during his first five seasons, more than either Devaney or Tom Osborne won in their first five campaigns.

The Husker coach's .754 winning percentage during those five seasons ranked him sixth among all active coaches.

NU has also lost nine of its last 12 games away from Memorial Stadium under Solich. They've lost three games by a combined 70 points this year, including the 29-point home loss to Kansas State.

Solich also presided over the 2002 Huskers, responsible for NU's worst record since 1961.

Coach Bill Jennings was fired after that season, and Devaney was hired, ushering in a new era of Nebraska football.

The failure to sustain what Devaney created is what drives Pederson's decision, a Lincoln booster close to the situation said.

"It's more than wins and losses,"he said. "Frank does not instill the confidence in Pederson that he'd like to see."

That assessment of Solich's tenure doesn't sit well with Osborne, who hired Solich in 1979 and hand-picked his longtime assistant to take over following Osborne's retirement after the 1998 Orange Bowl.

"Iwould certainly think Frank will coach two more games and be there next year," Osborne said from Washington, D.C., Saturday morning.

Solich will undoubtedly coach one more game, but the outcome against Colorado won't change Pederson's mind, the sources say.

In fact, the sources said a Colorado win could actually help Pederson convince Solich that he should retire on a high note.

Otherwise, Solich may fight harder to stay, convinced he's being shoved out unfairly, according to the longtime, out-of-state booster.

Then: "Things could get ugly."

Crazy when you just read about some of the big losses and home losses that just weren't acceptable back then. Have things become more acceptable now?

Crazy when you just read about some of the big losses and home losses that just weren't acceptable back then. Have things become more acceptable now?

Yes. Expectations change with time and memory. Today we are more likely to compare our teams to 2005 than 1995.

In 1976, TO went 8-3-1 in the regular season. His losses were: 24-34 vs. #17 Missouri, 28-37 at Iowa State, 17-20 vs. #8 Oklahoma. None of the losses were by more than two scores. None of the teams out-gained Nebraska by more than 100 yards. None of the games were decided until late in the fourth quarter. Oklahoma needed a halfback pass and a hook and lateral to beat us near the end of the game.

TO later learned that the decision was made to fire him if he lost to #9 Texas Tech in the Bluebonnet Bowl. He won, 27-24. Nebraska finished ranked 9th in the AP and 7th in UPI, with two wins over top 15 teams and three close losses. And one score away from a new head coach.

Yes. Expectations change with time and memory. Today we are more likely to compare our teams to 2005 than 1995. In 1976, TO went 8-3-1 in the regular season. His losses were: 24-34 vs. #17 Missouri, 28-37 at Iowa State, 17-20 vs. #8 Oklahoma. None of the losses were by more than two scores. None of the teams out-gained Nebraska by more than 100 yards. None of the games were decided until late in the fourth quarter. Oklahoma needed a halfback pass and a hook and lateral to beat us near the end of the game. TO later learned that the decision was made to fire him if he lost to #9 Texas Tech in the Bluebonnet Bowl. He won, 27-24. Nebraska finished ranked 9th in the AP and 7th in UPI, with two wins over top 15 teams and three close losses. And one score away from a new head coach.

TO inherited a two time national championship team.

BO inherifted Cally's team, which also had some blowout losses.

Yes. Expectations change with time and memory. Today we are more likely to compare our teams to 2005 than 1995. In 1976, TO went 8-3-1 in the regular season. His losses were: 24-34 vs. #17 Missouri, 28-37 at Iowa State, 17-20 vs. #8 Oklahoma. None of the losses were by more than two scores. None of the teams out-gained Nebraska by more than 100 yards. None of the games were decided until late in the fourth quarter. Oklahoma needed a halfback pass and a hook and lateral to beat us near the end of the game. TO later learned that the decision was made to fire him if he lost to #9 Texas Tech in the Bluebonnet Bowl. He won, 27-24. Nebraska finished ranked 9th in the AP and 7th in UPI, with two wins over top 15 teams and three close losses. And one score away from a new head coach.

And how much NFL talent?

But by the '76 season, the players and program were mostly Tom's. And in 2013, the players and program are entirely Bo's.

The relevant point is, expectations are down, even from pre-90s dynasty era.

No. The programs foundation is important.

If you inherit a program whose foundation was a back to back national championship and went to 8-3 in year 6, you might argue it was going backwards. And some folks wanted TO gone in the late '70s.

If you inherit a program whose foundation was poor (Cally) and went to 9 wins or better in year 6, you might argue it was going forwards. And some folks want BO gone...