Solich is OUT!!!

Blackshirt

I really do sometimes wonder just how young most here are that post. Prior to the dynasty of the 90's, most of us fans expected a couple of things each year: lose to OU and lose the bowl game. TO reeled off eight bowl losses in a row. Had OU not got slapped by the NCAA, Switzer most likely would have stayed and our dynasty of the 90's might very well not have happened. TO was a great coach, but he wasn't perfect. There were plenty of times the fans weren't completely thrilled with him.

I was very much against the firing of Solich. I am very against firing Bo. Nothing good came from firing Solich, and I can't think of anything good coming from firing Bo. There is no way we bring in a proven head coach to Nebraska especially considering we'll be competing with Texas at the end of the year. We are just starting to get the athletes to compete with the top tier teams. If Bo gets the team over the mental hump, we're just fine.

• Fire 1

I agree with most of what you said junior. Two things though. TO was, is and always will be perfect. Also, " no way" we can get a proven HC? Come on now. I dont think we've reached the point of Bo needing to be fired either, but if he was fired, Nebraska has every resource to compete for any coach available IMO.

I agree with most of what you said junior. Two things though. TO was, is and always will be perfect. Also, " no way" we can get a proven HC? Come on now. I dont think we've reached the point of Bo needing to be fired either, but if he was fired, Nebraska has every resource to compete for any coach available IMO.

do we? i think it takes more than resources. obviously callahan was not our first choice, why would it be any different now?

edit: i am contradicting myself from another thread. because, while i do believe we have the money to get a top coaching staff, would that be enough? also, it does not seem like there are many options and we would likely be taking a risk as big, if not bigger, than just keeping bo and letting him figure it out.

No. The programs foundation is important.

If you inherit a program whose foundation was a back to back national championship and went to 8-3 in year 6, you might argue it was going backwards. And some folks wanted TO gone in the late '70s.

If you inherit a program whose foundation was poor (Cally) and went to 9 wins or better in year 6, you might argue it was going forwards. And some folks want BO gone...

Mora has beaten Nebraska in his first two seasons at UCLA taking over a program that hadn't won more than 7 games since 2005. Billy C won more than 7 games twice in 4 years. I would say Bo's foundation was markedly better than Mora's when he took over and he has had 6 years to get his recruits in the program.

Either the foundation doesn't mean very much after all or Bo doesn't have what it takes to win here.

• Fire 1

You know that last Solich three loss season with a solid bowl win from the iterim head coach, look pretty good right now.

Those first two Pelini seasons that ended on high notes look pretty good, too.

Really? That last Solich season doesn't look much different from what we have now. We got blown out on our losses. The only difference was the bowl win, which wasn't Solich's. And this came on the heels of a 7-7 season, which Pelini hasn't had. It's true that we had a championship game appearance right before that, but that was basically due to Eric Crouch and a weak college football season (other than Miami).

Point is, if you thought then, or look back now, and think firing Solich was a mistake, you might want to think really carefully about wanting Pelini gone.

Urban Meyer passed over his dream job of Notre Dame for Florida. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why. When you say resources, I believe you actually mean resource: money. Other than money, we have less resources than a school like Texas or USC. I really do question if we could get any more than a successful coordinator to come in as head coach.

Urban Meyer passed over his dream job of Notre Dame for Florida. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why. When you say resources, I believe you actually mean resource: money. Other than money, we have less resources than a school like Texas or USC. I really do question if we could get any more than a successful coordinator to come in as head coach.

this is my fear as well. which is why i think it is worth sticking with bo. he has had flashes of brilliance. learning to be a successful head coach at a major university takes time. i say we give him that time. i am not saying give him forever, but a little more time now may pay incredible dividends soon.

I'm not saying firing Solich was a mistake. As some recall, Frank's dismissal had a considerable off-the-field component.

My point was that ending seasons with a couple wins as opposed to a couple blowout losses makes a huge difference in how that 9 - 4 season goes down.

In 2008 and 2009, Bo Pelini was moving forward and winning games with Bill Callahan's recruits. Bo inherited a program one season removed from winning the Big 12 North and losing a close Cotton Bowl game to #10 Auburn. But that one season featured a defensive meltdown that it was actually embarrassing. Husker fans had never seen anything like that. Firing Callahan and Cosgrove was a no brainer.

But who imagined that the nightmare defense of 2007 would be the norm in Bo's 5th and 6th seasons? And statistically even worse?

Bo inherited a team in crisis, not a team in shambles. The kind of turnaround we're looking for -- a new attitude with the same athletes -- happens several times a year in pro and amateur sports. Sometimes the supposedly disgraced coach lands on his feet at another program and turns them around.

The cliche is when the AD or owner declares: "everyone agreed it was time for a change."

We're not there yet. Bo has this season and next season. Unless he wants out.

Some coaches may not want to come to the Nebraska pressure cooker, but every Top 25 program is a pressure cooker, and believe it or not, some aren't as patient as Nebraska.

There's young, cocksure coaching talent out there who would take the challenge in a second, and that's the guy you want.

The only name I've seen come out for a possible replacement that intrigues me is Scott Frost. He was recruited and went through the offensive system of Walsh, so he knows the West Coast offense. He went through the offensive system of smash mouth football here at NU under TO. He played defense in the NFL. He's been in the offensive system of Chip Kelly. He's very well rounded in terms of the in's and out's of all faucets of the game. He's a good/great recruiter. However, he's probably an even bigger gamble than Bo was. I agree. We have to ride this out for a few more years before we start jumping ship. I do however believe the lines of communications need to be open with Frost if we do start leaning towards replacement.

The only name I've seen come out for a possible replacement that intrigues me is Scott Frost. He was recruited and went through the offensive system of Walsh, so he knows the West Coast offense. He went through the offensive system of smash mouth football here at NU under TO. He played defense in the NFL. He's been in the offensive system of Chip Kelly. He's very well rounded in terms of the in's and out's of all faucets of the game. He's a good/great recruiter. However, he's probably an even bigger gamble than Bo was. I agree. We have to ride this out for a few more years before we start jumping ship. I do however believe the lines of communications need to be open with Frost if we do start leaning towards replacement.

Never hire an inexperienced person when you can get an experienced person with certifiable evidence of excellence at that position. The mistake of hiring a newbie is evident with Bo... we do not need another rookie coach "learning" and cutting his teeth (so to speak) on our program. That is what lesser programs are for from a coaching pool perspective --- a coach proves themselves at a low-level program and moves up to the big program.

Frost should not even receive consideration as a HC.

No. The programs foundation is important.

If you inherit a program whose foundation was a back to back national championship and went to 8-3 in year 6, you might argue it was going backwards. And some folks wanted TO gone in the late '70s.

If you inherit a program whose foundation was poor (Cally) and went to 9 wins or better in year 6, you might argue it was going forwards. And some folks want BO gone...

Mora has beaten Nebraska in his first two seasons at UCLA taking over a program that hadn't won more than 7 games since 2005. Billy C won more than 7 games twice in 4 years. I would say Bo's foundation was markedly better than Mora's when he took over and he has had 6 years to get his recruits in the program.

Either the foundation doesn't mean very much after all or Bo doesn't have what it takes to win here.

This went from comparing apples (TO's NU inheritance) to oranges (BO's NU inheritance) to comparing apples to kumquats. Try to focus on Nebraska.

Some coaches may not want to come to the Nebraska pressure cooker, but every Top 25 program is a pressure cooker, and believe it or not, some aren't as patient as Nebraska.

Ill agree with this. Nebraska doesnt have threads on message boards of folks telling each other to kill themselves if they go to another game for the sake of getting the coach fired.