Next Question

After reading the post on "When will NE have another Heismann winner," there are a few people that say they would rather talk about win we win another National Championship. I think that is a good question. Do we have the talent to win next year? I think we have the talent, and I think we have the schedule to do it as well. What do you think?

Win every game, win the Championship. Simple in theory, but there are a lot of intangibles involved. Sure, team talent is important, but there is also chemistry, injuries, opponents records, and the will to "want it all". The 94-95 teams had injuries galore, won games with a 3rd stringbackup-QB, yet pulled it off 2 years in a row. Why? because those teams had a resiliency and a drive to take no prisoners, and the offense & defense operated as a single entity- to destroy the competition.

And they did.

We are getting close to that again, and Nebraska domination is just around the bend. Remember, this a young team grasping the new system, and it will only get better.

So, yeah. We have the talent, we have the schedule, and we have the means to do it again. I can't wait!!!!!!!

Honestly, no, I don't think we're there yet. Our offensive line, while improved, is still to inconsistent - some times they look great, other times they are like a leaky hose. Our secondary is also a problem. Both of those areas are going to need not only an infusion of more talent, but a year or two of experience once that talent is in place.

Patience - we're getting there with each recruiting class and each game...

yeah, we still have a little while. I think we can play in some BCS bowl games in the near future, but a national championship will still take a little time. As long as we stay in the top 10 or top 5 for awhile, I'll be happy. But nowadays if you lose even one game, you're considered out of the national run by some.

We'll have to go back to blowing away people in our own conference if we want to be back up top again.

We need to get our guys to get some more experience too. JC transfers are great, but how are they really going to learn the program in just year or two of playing. I prefer getting players to start as freshman and work up. I love Taylor, but he's just barely broken the ice before he's going to leave again. Same with Keller....he'll be gone after next year.

We need guys who walk into practice and games everyday and just play amazing because it's just routine for them. They know the plays, they know their teamates and what they're capable of...the field just becomes a second home to them because they've spent so much time on it.

My $.02

no, at least 2 years away.......we need O linemen, better D linemen and faster backers......DB's we are a minimum of 2 years away from having that hole filled......tight ends and another qb after Keller.......nope, not even close yet, need to start winning the Big 12 on a regualr basis and Texas will stand in the way of that for awhile.......

no, at least 2 years away.......we need O linemen, better D linemen and faster backers......DB's we are a minimum of 2 years away from having that hole filled......tight ends and another qb after Keller.......nope, not even close yet, need to start winning the Big 12 on a regualr basis and Texas will stand in the way of that for awhile.......

I agree. Next year we should be contenders again for the Big 12 Title but not the National Championship.

We are improving, but we are not there yet. can we win it next year yes we can(everyone has a chance). will we it no, we wont. Besides what everyone else has said, a team needs teh media on their side and that comes with convinsing wins over top caliber competition. We are a few years away from having a shot (in my opinion), at the national title. If we get it sooner, Great but I will be happy if we play for it in 5 years. Look how long it took texas to win another title with the recruiting they have had.

Sometimes a team needs that SPECIAL player to get them there and that does not happen very often.

GBR

Guys, I hate to be the homer, but we will be sleepers next year.

Most of the ten-deep O-Line rotation is coming back. I look for big things from that group. They'll be tough, strong, and experienced.

Our skill players will be outstanding. All of our top RBs and WRs are coming back. They will have another year in the system.

Our QB will be one of the best in the nation. If Keller can pick up the offense, look out.

On the defensive side, we lose our starting front four and Bradley and Shanle. But we bring back everybody else, including Zack Bowman(!), along with Dillard. Octavien will be back. Turner will be a starter. Suh will be on Lombardi watch lists (maybe). The secondary will be a strength!

Remember, this is a YOUNG team, folks. The heralded 2005 recruiting class will be in their third year, and we will have depth everywhere except D-Line. If we find good players on the D-Line, and can stop the run well, then the 2007 team has a chance to be special.

How special? I don't know. But we'll be a lot closer to

:restore

I agree with next year being special, and I feel Keller will be a headache for the defenses we face. Will we be a national title contender, If we play texass again and win and win our bowl game, then yes we will have positioned ourselves into the elite next year. any breakdowns the rest of this year and we will have a harder time next year.

Can we do it YES will we I HOPE SO is it probable I DON"T THINK SO.

We are on the right track and next year may be our best chance we have had since 97. Lets hope it happens and it all starts with a road win this week against okie st.