The Real Tailback U

3 running backs carry Cowboys' tradition

By Tristan Threlkeld, Daily O'Collegian

October 26, 2006

(CSTV U-WIRE) STILLWATER, Okla. -- The tradition of Tailback U seems to be in good hands -- the hands of three very capable running backs.

Those three -- sophomore Mike Hamilton, freshman Keith Toston and junior Dantrell Savage -- seem more than capable of adding their pedigrees to Oklahoma State's prestigious list.

"To continue the tradition is to continue to recruit good running backs and then they usually take care of it themselves," running backs coach Curtis Luper said.

So far this season, all three have towed the line in taking care of the tradition. Hamilton, Toston and Savage have each surpassed the century mark in rushing yards in a single game.

In the Pokes' home opener, Hamilton rushed for 155 yards and has continued to have the success that earned him Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year honors this past season.

Last season Hamilton had to carry the load mostly by himself.

"For one guy to carry the load, that's asking a lot," Luper said. "Mike did it last year. He is capable and I think any of the three are capable, but I think together they are more formidable."

Hamilton isn't the only Cowboy finding success. On the road against Kansas State, Toston rushed for 109 yards, and last week against Texas A&M, Savage ran for a career high 134 yards.

Luper said it's good Oklahoma State has three backs who can piece together good individual performances, but it would be even better if the Cowboy backfield spread its yardage more evenly.

Toston didn't play in the Homecoming game against A&M and has not seen the field since early in the second half against Kansas, where two first-half fumbles contributed to OSU's 14-0 deficit at the half.

"He'll be back," Luper said. "No punishment. The guys we had play early were doing pretty well. It got cold and he got kind of stiff over there. It's hard to put a guy in after waiting for so long. You just keep guys that are in the flow of the game, keep them in and let it go, but he will be back."

With arguably three of the best backs in the Big 12, Luper said picking a starter each week depends on a variety of factors.

"It's a combination of how they practice, who we think is best suited for this particular game, how much we plan to throw and how much we plan to run," Luper said. "There are a lot of factors that go into determining it, it's not an exact science.

"Once you get into the game one guy may really look good and get a good feel for the game, then he's the guy, you play the hot hand. We have the luxury of three and you really need three to compete in the Big 12 weekly."

Cowboy coaches have long said the back with the 'hot hand' will receive the bulk of OSU's carries. Although it was Savage last week, this week may be a different story.

With the vaunted Nebraska "Blackshirt" defense coming to town, the Pokes may need all three.

1. Since when is OSU "Tailback U"? Shoot, I'd put USC, Nebraska, Ohio State, and even Miami, among other schools ahead of OSU. Yes, Sanders and Thomas were outstanding, but two players do not make a "prestigious list."

2. Has anyone heard of any of these guys (save Hamilton) before last week?

3. Three of the best RBs in the Big 12?? Really? Peterson, Young, Charles, Lucky, B-Jax, Hicks, Cornish, the A&M tailback - all are outstanding backs.

Sheesh. Talk about a homer...

Javorskie Lane "J-Train" is one of the best power backs in the country

Courtney Lewis "C-Lew" is nimble and fast, a senior, but is injury prone

Michael Goodson is a true fish, and is AWEESOME. Incredibly fast, flashy, shifty, and hard to tackle. He's gonna be great. There's a reason A&M is the conference leader in rushing.

Yep, fans down here in Stillwater love their orange Kool-Aid. I have been hearing about these tailbacks all year, and they are not the 3 best backs in the country :lol: . Hamilton lacks a top gear to break away for the long run. Toston is nowhere to be found. Savage has tremendous speed, but he has been a little dinged up this year. However, Savage is going to be a good back, but he isn't on that level yet. And I have no idea who dubbed OSU Tailback U. But I don't think any one of them is going to run for over 100 yards this weekend :bonez . And, on the flip side, I expect us to show who is the real Tailback U. :restore:restore:restore

1. Since when is OSU "Tailback U"? Shoot, I'd put USC, Nebraska, Ohio State, and even Miami, among other schools ahead of OSU. Yes, Sanders and Thomas were outstanding, but two players do not make a "prestigious list."

2. Has anyone heard of any of these guys (save Hamilton) before last week?

3. Three of the best RBs in the Big 12?? Really? Peterson, Young, Charles, Lucky, B-Jax, Hicks, Cornish, the A&M tailback - all are outstanding backs.

Sheesh. Talk about a homer...

I'm sorry, but Stevie Hicks is not a top back. Tatum Bell and Vernand Morency are pretty solid backs to go with Thomas and Sanders, but I don't think they are deserving of that title.