Mizzou game!!!

Statistically we match up pretty evenly although I think we have the edge. NU has the #1 Offense in the Big 12 and Mizzou has the #2 Defense. KSU and OU both were able to run the ball very effectively. Allen Patrick had a good game (162yds) this past Saturday with just your standard straight up the gut hard hitting running. B-Jax, if he plays, should be able to do the same.

Statistically we match up pretty evenly although I think we have the edge. NU has the #1 Offense in the Big 12 and Mizzou has the #2 Defense. KSU and OU both were able to run the ball very effectively. Allen Patrick had a good game (162yds) this past Saturday with just your standard straight up the gut hard hitting running. B-Jax, if he plays, should be able to do the same.

Okay, I will bravely respond even though I am a Mizzou fan and have been since I was 9...Hopefully you guys will take it easy on me since my mom is from North Platte. Besides, I appreciate the fact you guys beat Michigan (where I live now) last year in the bowl game and shut up all of their arrogant fans....

Missouri on Offense:

The two tight ends are Chase Coffman, who is 6'7, and Martin Rucker (brother of Mike Rucker, former Nebraska DE). They both usually split out and catch screens or slants. They are both pretty good.

Chase Daniel is a very good quarterback, for being a sophomore. Sometimes he runs a little too much and takes some big hits.

The wide receiver to watch out for is Will Franklin, very fast and shifty, he is the deep threat. The other recievers usually get about 2-5 catches per game.

Missouri on Defense:

The loss of DE Brian Smith was huge, he would have likely broken the Big-12 sack record had he not broken his hip against Kay State. The other DE is Xavie Jackson, who gave you guys fits last year. The DT's are pretty athletic, Ziggy Hood has a knack for getting to the quarterback as well. The linebackers are fast but not particularly good in coverage. The secondary plays a cover-2 type zone, the defensive backs are average in single coverage but young and can be exploited.

Missouri's run defense is a "bend but don't break" type. Overall the defensive unit is small but quick. They are opportunistic, but can be worn down as A&M and Oklahoma did.

In Missouri's two losses, they turned the ball over 7 times combined. Otherwise Missouri usually tries to get out ahead quickly and play from the driver's seat.

I think it will be a close game.

I have not watched any Nebraska games this year, does anyone mind giving my a quick synopsis on your teams strengths and weaknesses and players?

Thanks.... Peace....

Well they have Daniel of course. Then there are the 2 TE's of Coffman and Rucker, which was already mentioned. William Franklin WR and Brad Ekwerekwu are a couple other receivers to look out for. Their RB's, IMO, are just average. It probably won't matter who they field against us though because we are so prone to letting teams have Heisman days on us. It gets old. Sorry for the little bit of negativity in this thread.

BJax if he plays? Think the coaches will sit him because that will throw off Mizzou's preparation? <_<

This game will be very similar to OSU in that we will be able to run the ball and they should be able to pass on us. The D needs to come out from behind the woodshed and take it out on them.

I've watched the Mizzou games so far, knowing that we'd be meeting up at some point with Big XII North title implications. What I see is that they are a very strong team on both sides. Chase is a pretty accurate passer, but arm strength may be his weakness in addition to the occasional mental lapse. They have big receivers that can hold on to the ball which is where our secondary will have difficulty matching up. The defense is fast and will keep the offense needing to play smart.

Nebraska's biggest weakness: When starting strong, having trouble closing out the game and losing momentum.

Mizzou's biggest weakness: They are their biggest enemy. When things go wrong (turnovers) they have a very hard time battling back into the game mentally. Last week against OU they came out strong and maybe too pumped up for the game. That may have led to them burning out their momentum. With them heading into Lincoln, I expect a more focused Mizzou team to take the field. However, once we force a couple of turnovers and capitalize that is where we can seal the game. That is providing that we can do a better job of sealing games... :box

That's my two cents.

***SNIP***

I have not watched any Nebraska games this year, does anyone mind giving my a quick synopsis on your teams strengths and weaknesses and players?

***SNIP***

Offense - Two main strengths here - Zac Taylor at quarterback and our quartet of running backs. Taylor, when given time, is accurate and can find the open receiver. No speed or mobility, but perfect for the West Coast in all other respects. Our running backs are quite good - and with what Brandon Jackson has shown over the last couple of weeks, potentially outstanding. Tight ends are...well, I'm not sure. Adequate is what I would say. Herian, we hoped, would return to the form he had before his injuries, but sadly that just doesn't seem to be the case. They're good for short-to-intermediate routes, and generally have good hands. Adequate to good blockers. Our receivers. Hmmmm...potentially great, but not there yet. A real game-breaker in Purify, but all of them need to catch the ball more consistently. Our offensive line is much improved, but lacks consistency. Certainly nowhere near what you would expect from a Nebraska line. When they're "on", they're great. When they aren't, they can be awful. Last year they almost got Taylor killed. This year, they've been much better. During the Texas game, they were, for the most part, outstanding. Blocking has improved greatly - but sometimes they seem to go to sleep.

Defense - Our front four are very good. Our linebackers are good. Our secondary is awful. More specifically, our linebackers are probably a step slow. Great heart, but if teams can get to the edge, we can't seem to get there with them all the time. Our secondary is hurt by injuries, inexperience, and lack of size. Grixby is a warrior with no weapons - he has speed and leaping ability, but is very small. Andrea Jones is getting better, but is inexperienced. Out safeties are - baffling. When you add it all up, it means that we can't blitz as much as we'd like as we have to keep 'backers in coverage to help the secondary. That means our pass rush often relies on the front four - and too often they are not getting penetration. Our defense against the run is fine - so long as it is up the middle or off-tackle. But we have trouble with mobile quarterbacks - since we can't commit linebackers with abandon, a mobile quarterback has some real lanes in which to run on those ocassions when we do cover the receivers. We are much better against traditional pocket-passers. When everything is clicking, the defense can be very good, though.

The issues to me are whether we can:

1. Stop runs to the outside

2. Consistently cover your receivers

3. Stop Daniel when he scrambles

If we can do that most of the time, we should win. Since your defense is rather light, our line should have a good day. I see us relying on the run primarily in this game for that reason.

Anyway, that's my assessment...

Thanks for posting Chem. :thumbs Very nice insight.

Your Tigers are a tough team and can be explosive. Daniel has a lot of potential and at times looks flawless. It looked like to me though, that OU tried to take away Daniel's passing lanes, making him run a lot. The TE's are amazing, and wideouts are pretty good too. Got to think it was good strategy by the Sooners (I think they showed us something).

The Huskers have a lot of talent, can run or pass. Taylor can be very accurate during stretches, but his downfall is that he leads to one reciever throughout the majority of the game. Would be great to see him spread the ball around more. Still, he's tough as nails. And Brandon Jackson is running extremely hard these last two weeks, showing signs of a big time playmaker.

The corners and safeties are suspect. Grixby is due for one interfence call per game, usually after he has been beaten several times already. The D-Line has shown to be tough in the early part of the game, but can wear down if they are out there a lot.

Our LB's have had their ups and downs, so it will be curious to see how they respond this week.

I just know it will be a tough game for both teams. Fortunately the Huskers have shown to be a lot better at home than on the road, as are most Big 12 teams. I would favor Mizzou if this was a road game, but being at home I see us as a 3 point favorite.

The battle will be won at the line. Whoever controls the line of scrimmage will win this one.

We welcome vistitors! Stick around and post all you want.

Okay, I will bravely respond even though I am a Mizzou fan and have been since I was 9...Hopefully you guys will take it easy on me since my mom is from North Platte. Besides, I appreciate the fact you guys beat Michigan (where I live now) last year in the bowl game and shut up all of their arrogant fans....

Missouri on Offense:

The two tight ends are Chase Coffman, who is 6'7, and Martin Rucker (brother of Mike Rucker, former Nebraska DE). They both usually split out and catch screens or slants. They are both pretty good.

Chase Daniel is a very good quarterback, for being a sophomore. Sometimes he runs a little too much and takes some big hits.

The wide receiver to watch out for is Will Franklin, very fast and shifty, he is the deep threat. The other recievers usually get about 2-5 catches per game.

Missouri on Defense:

The loss of DE Brian Smith was huge, he would have likely broken the Big-12 sack record had he not broken his hip against Kay State. The other DE is Xavie Jackson, who gave you guys fits last year. The DT's are pretty athletic, Ziggy Hood has a knack for getting to the quarterback as well. The linebackers are fast but not particularly good in coverage. The secondary plays a cover-2 type zone, the defensive backs are average in single coverage but young and can be exploited.

Missouri's run defense is a "bend but don't break" type. Overall the defensive unit is small but quick. They are opportunistic, but can be worn down as A&M and Oklahoma did.

In Missouri's two losses, they turned the ball over 7 times combined. Otherwise Missouri usually tries to get out ahead quickly and play from the driver's seat.

Thanks.... Peace....

No we won't go crazy on you at all!!!! I appreciate your insight it's helped me gage your team and how the game will go this Saturday..... :thumbs

Missouri on Offense:

Missouri on Defense:

Thanks.... Peace....

No we won't go crazy on you at all!!!! I appreciate your insight it's helped me gage your team and how the game will go this Saturday..... :thumbs

I agree with all of the responses above. This game will likely be decided by 7 points or less. Playing in Lincoln is a huge advantage, and Mizzou will have to play flawless to get a win.

I hope that Missouri's program continues to grow and gets to an "elite" level and that you guys get back to your usual level. That would make the Mizzou-Nebraska Matchups really exciting and get the Big 12 North back to a high status.

Thanks for the classy responses. I have perused each opponents boards and have found you and the Texas A&M fans to be most insightful and cool, that is why I will keep coming back until after the game and we can discuss even after the game. The majority of the sooners fans were tools. But this board has a pretty knowledgable fan base...

Peace...