How about...Back to basics.

To me the most GLARING problem on D is Tackling or the lack thereof especially on anything to the outside. If we dont get penetration and a sack it looks like a "Chinese Firedrill" back there like a buch pee wee football players running around with no purpose and whiffing on thin air.

At some point these boys knew how to tackle (right?). I hope the watch a lot of film this week on how OU was just blasting MU running backs and recievers.

I agree. They need to learn to hit, wrap up and run thru the player. Don't wrap your arms around them and then fall down expecting the opponent to fall down with you. Force them down. I also hope Shanle gets some flack from other players for his missed opportunity to put a big time hit on a receiver.

My thoughts also. WTF was that. Everybody griopes about Grixsby but Shanle is far worst.

It seemed like Octavien led the blackshirts against UT, and they seemed to play better. You definitly need a leader or leaders on defense. One guy playing at 110% can make a team play better, but not always.

I hate the idea of, as soon as we are down, tackling becomes all about stripping the ball. Driving the guy back or just taking him down goes right out the window. I agree turnovers can happen that way, but how about just hit the guy HARD, knocking his helmet off and sending the ball flying.

Defensive leadership usually comes from the LB group. Last year McKeon became the leader of the defense. He was vocal, assertive and getting on everyone to perform. The defense wasn't great all the time, but it did play with spirit. I expected him to resume the role this year, but he didn't and there is no real "leader" on the defense.* ..... Why?

My speculation (from 500 miles away and not knowing the personalities), McKeon was thrust into role last year when injuries brought down so many LB's on defense. This year..... Bradley (Sr) is back, Brandenburgh is playing more and Rudd has become the darling of the fans....... so McKeon (Jr) has been delegated to a lesser role. Octo has more talent than anyone, but I wonder if he is really a "leader"?

Since I'm just a fan who doesn't really know the answer, I'll propose an answer ..... the coaches should make it clear that McKeon is the defensive leader on the field and tell him to kick some ass (verbally of course!).

* If I'm wrong on this, then who is the leader?