Purify or.....?

I was just thinking a little while ago about something and I wanted to see what other people thought. I was thinking about Irving Fryar, and well, I'm too young and never really got to see him play except for when his career was winding down in the NFL (which I can barely remember by the way). So I guess I'm looking for a little insight from some older fellers who got to see him play in college.

Anyway my question is do you think that Mo Purify will be better than and/or is better than Irving Fryar?? Just want to hear what some people think...that's all..

I was just thinking a little while ago about something and I wanted to see what other people thought. I was thinking about Irving Fryar, and well, I'm too young and never really got to see him play except for when his career was winding down in the NFL (which I can barely remember by the way). So I guess I'm looking for a little insight from some older fellers who got to see him play in college.

Anyway my question is do you think that Mo Purify will be better than and/or is better than Irving Fryar?? Just want to hear what some people think...that's all..

Okay, I stand corrected. thanks DJR313: (what' the emoticon for embarassed)

"Solich, from his seat with the other assistants in the Nebraska coaches' box, saw quarterback Turner Gill roll to his right and fire a pass to tailback Jeff Smith, who one play earlier had cut the deficit to one with a 24-yard touchdown run on fourth and 8."

But I was still right about this!

In any event, having Mo on the field is a great threat for NU and great fun to watch. :corndance

Well, wasn't it Fryar, IIRC, that dropped a pass that cost a NC while going for the win instead of the tie. It's a call that mark TO forever, either as a hero or a goat, depending on your point of view. It also marked Fryar.

Unfortunately, I have seen the play too many times. Turner Gill threw a little behind Jeff Smith(2nd string IB) it was tipped and hit him in the facemask. It was NOT IRVING FRYAR! :blink:

He's good no doubt. But as many times, when we as NU fans see flashes of greatness we are very quick to crown someone as the next big thing. Admit it...you've done it before. Bobby Newcombe, Thunder Collins, etc. Plus it is easy to be excited by a guy like Mo (and believe me...I'm into the hype as well) when we haven't had a 'prototype' receiver for years. We've had TE's and WB's that were posession receivers. Let's see how he does over a full season (yes I hope he goes for 1000+ and 10+) with defenses making him a top priority before we give him a 1st round selection.

As far as comparing the two it's kinda hard. Totally different offenses. Totally different receivers. I was in 2nd/3rd grade when Irving was playing, but he wasn't a 'throw it up and go get it' type receiver from what I remember.

The 'prototype' WR has changed over the past few years, especially what the NFL is looking for. Guys like Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Mushin Muhammad have changed the position. Owners and coaches search for that 6'5", 225lb WR that can go get it (and would have been a TE in earlier years). For that reason, yes, if Mo can get decent numbers next year...he'll definitely get major attention. You can't coach size and a 40" vert, though his hands could use a little work.

But who cares WHEN he gets taken, as long as he gets taken. Example? Marcus Colston for New Orleans. Big...fast...great hands....but went to Hofstra. He got drafted in the 7th round - 250+ pick. Went from working for the roster, to 3rd wide out, to starter. He virtually has Rookie of the year locked up, and is near the top of the league in receptions, yards and TD's....even against those 1st round 'guarantees'.

Should be fun to watch Purify grow. Hopefully he can live up to what the hype and pressure that we're all building around him.

I remember a "Tom Osborne Show" where Ozzie said that we as Husker fans really needed to appreciate how easy Fryar made it look because we were not likely to see such a talented receiver in a long while.

He was right . Fryar had blazing speed and had an incredible build. I remember in the 84-13 Minnesota game in '83 when Fryar lined up split left and there was nobody covering him. Gill simply flicked it over to him and he ran 80 yards for the score...84 points, holy crap what an offense.

I was at that game where NU plummeted Minn by scoring 84 points. Imagine scoring 3 TD in every quarter! It was the most awesome display of offensive power I've ever witnessed. Since the game was planned in the Minneapolis dome, the only noise was the NU Fans. :lol:

Even sweeter that Lou "Sylvester" Holtz was Minnesota's coach then!!

Truly a scoring explosion because Nebraska's time of possession in that game was around 13 minutes!!