Norvell interviews for Iowa State job

IAMAHUSKER

Norvell interviews for Iowa State job

Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell has interviewed for the soon-to-be vacant Iowa State head coaching position, according to a source close to the situation.

The 43-year-old Norvell, a former Cyclone assistant, met with ISU athletic director Jamie Pollard on Thursday night in Dallas. Jim Harbaugh, a former NFL quarterback and current head coach at Division I-AA San Diego, also is believed to have interviewed in Dallas.

Dan McCarney resigned Nov. 8 after 12 seasons as Iowa State’s head coach, saying it was in the best interests of the program. The Cyclones are 3-8 overall and 0-7 in the Big 12 Conference entering Saturday’s season finale against Missouri in Ames, Iowa.

Norvell’s name surfaced immediately as a possible candidate at Iowa State because of his ties to the school and the state. A starting strong safety at Iowa in the 1980s, Norvell went on to coach at Iowa, Northern Iowa and Iowa State. Norvell also worked under McCarney at ISU as an assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach from 1995-97.

Everyone seems to think that he won't take the job, but every coach has to start somewhere. That beeing said, I think he still wants to accomplish some things at Nebraska before he moves on. I hope he doesn't go because that would hurt. It's nice to see some other teams wanting our coaches because it means they must have talent :)

As much as I hate to admit it, we probably need to get used to this. We have a former OC as our tight ends coach for crying out loud. The minds that we have on this staff are incredible. The fact that Coach Callahan could formulate this kind of coaching staff after the Solich staff firestorm lends credence to the fact that NU never hit bottom and never will. :thumbs

He'll probably get the job, but I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

i dunno. coach callahan really *really* wanted novell when he made the move from oak-town to lincoln. i can't believe that callahan was that insistant just because he and norvell were friends.

he's a valued member of the the team; if nebraska loses him, it will be our loss and iowa state's gain.

of course, they're still gonna be iowa state... and some things you just can't coach yourself out of...

If he takes that job, then good for him. I don't think it will hurt us as much as some people tend to believe. He did do amazing things with our offense but Callahan calls the plays and would bring someone in that knows the WCO. The new person could add a little different wrinkle to our offense but it would not change how we run our offense.