NU Offense thus far

I think it is.

Huskers.com

2006 Husker Offense Showing Balance, Explosiveness and Flexibility

Nebraska has featured excellent balance and firepower on offense in 2006. Through 11 games, the Huskers have posted four of the top six total offense efforts in Bill Callahan’s three seasons as head coach, including a season-high 597 yards against Troy, the most by Nebraska in five seasons. Nebraska has also topped 500 yards against Louisiana Tech (584) and Kansas (511), while just missing the mark against Nicholls State (498).

In the latest NCAA rankings (Nov. 19), Nebraska stacks up well nationally on offense. The Huskers rank 10th nationally in scoring offense (33.6 ppg), ninth in total offense (430.9 ypg), 19th in rushing offense (182.6 ypg) and 19th in passing offense (248.3 ypg). Nebraska is one of just three teams in the nation to rank in the top 25 in rushing offense, passing offense, total offense and scoring offense, joining Louisville and Oregon.

The Huskers’ 2006 offense has shown the explosiveness and efficiency Head Coach Bill Callahan is seeking in Nebraska’s version of the West Coast Offense.

*The 597 yards of total offense against Troy were the most by Nebraska in Callahan’s three seasons as head coach, and the most since a 688-yard effort at Baylor in 2001. Nebraska has had four of its top five offensive outputs under Callahan in 2006.

*Against Louisiana Tech, Nebraska topped 250 yards in both rushing and passing for the first time in a decade (Kansas, 1996). It took Nebraska exactly three weeks to accomplish the feat again, as the Huskers rushed for 316 yards and passed for 281 yards against Troy.

*The Huskers have produced four of their top seven rushing efforts under Callahan this season, with 316 yards against Troy, 261 yards against Nicholls State, 252 vs. Louisiana Tech and 251 yards at Iowa State. Before the 316-yard outburst against Troy, Nebraska last topped 300 yards on the ground against Western Illinois in 2004.

*Nebraska’s back-to-back 250-yard rushing efforts to open the season marked the first time NU had topped 250 yards on the ground in consecutive games since 2004 (Western Illinois and Southern Miss). Nebraska has topped 200 yards on the ground five times in 2006, after not reaching that plateau in 2005.

*The Huskers showed the ability to rely on the pass when needed. Nebraska threw for 395 yards, the second-most in school history, in a 39-32 overtime win over Kansas.

*With an impressive running attack, Nebraska has shown the ability to control the clock. NU has held the ball more than 33:44 in seven games this season, including 34:51 or better in October road games at Iowa State, Kansas State and Oklahoma State. The Huskers are averaging 32:46 of possession time, a figure that ranks sixth nationally. Last season Nebraska averaged 29:56 of possession time per game.

*The Huskers are converting 47.7 percent (74-of-155) of their third-down conversions, including 11-of-16 against Louisiana Tech, 11-of-17 against Missouri and 7-for-11 vs. Troy. The rate ranks 14th nationally.

*Nebraska racked up 30 first downs in each of its first two games, the first time the Huskers had back-to-back games with 30 first downs since the 2001 season (Texas Tech, Baylor). On the year, Nebraska has 102 first downs by rush, 114 by pass and 11 by penalty.

*Nebraska has spread the wealth on offense. Sixteen different players have scored touchdowns, with seven different players scoring TDs in each of the first two games.

*In wins over Louisiana Tech and Nicholls State, Nebraska topped 49 points in consecutive games for the first time since 2000, when Nebraska topped 49 points in three straight games at mid-season (Iowa State, Texas Tech, Baylor).

*The Husker offense left an impression on Troy Head Coach Larry Blakeney following the 56-0 NU win...

"That is the best football team we have faced in a long time. I don’t know what they call that offense, if it is West Coast or East Coast or South Coast or Canadian or whatever, but it was very well-designed and gave us more than we could handle. Their style of play and their physical approach and their ability with Zac Taylor to throw the football down the field really gave us more than we could handle."

I don’t know what they call that offense, if it is West Coast or East Coast or South Coast or Canadian or whatever, but it was very well-designed

I like to call it the Corn Coast Offense :thumbs

Didn't people say that this offense would never work in college.

Yes, yes they did, even early this season I heard talking heads say we should scrap the WCO and just go to a power running game. That is why they are the talking heads and not running teams.

What I find to be the most exciting, is that we are this potent even when we have not run a solid game in the 3rd quarter most of the season. I just salivate over the potential of this offense as the o-line improves and experiance builds everywhere.

The type of offense isn't in question, it's the execution and discipline. And it is getting better

I think the real shame is the statistics show a high powered "O", well just think what they would be if the offense didn't play like they had hand cuffs on.

Really the big thing that Callahan needs to learn is that killer instinct that most NFL coaches don't have.

This team should be no more than a one loss team, and the only loss to USC they were never given the opportunity to win.

Playing it close to the vest is one thing when you have a rock solid "D" and were not quite there yet.

I really like the offense and think we have great personnel, just a matter of getting more consistent playcalling.