Problems running!!!!

Okay so I'm thinking about leaving my job with the Sheriff's Office and going to the city police department. They have better benefits and the longevity pay is better, etc. So I have to run a mile and 1/2 in 12:51. I have always had a problem with this run ever since I can remember. I played football through high school and I'm not a tall guy (5'8" 180) so I think my short legs kinda hurt me a little when it comes to long distances. I had to pass this run numerous times to become a deputy and had to run it so many times in the academy it's not even funny. However; I'm having a hard time getting even close to my time right now and I'm wondering if anyone out there has any tips that can help me make my stamina better or what!!!! I had surgery on my shoulder in the summer and I basically sat on my a$$ for 4 months and I can definately tell that because I feel like I'm 50 when I'm running and I'm only 26!!!! Any suggestions???

I think one of the most important things to running distances is finding a rythm in your breathing. As for training, start out basic and build your way up. If you have access to a track (indoor since you are in Iowa) try doing the fartlick (run the straight aways and walk the turns). I would also throw in some sprints every once in a while to build the fast twitch muscles when you need them for your kick at the end.

Stay away from eating fatty foods will help you as well to gain stamina over a period of time with your continued workout.

If all esle fails, just start juicing up on steroids!!!!---just kidding!

Okay so I'm thinking about leaving my job with the Sheriff's Office and going to the city police department. They have better benefits and the longevity pay is better, etc. So I have to run a mile and 1/2 in 12:51. I have always had a problem with this run ever since I can remember. I played football through high school and I'm not a tall guy (5'8" 180) so I think my short legs kinda hurt me a little when it comes to long distances. I had to pass this run numerous times to become a deputy and had to run it so many times in the academy it's not even funny. However; I'm having a hard time getting even close to my time right now and I'm wondering if anyone out there has any tips that can help me make my stamina better or what!!!! I had surgery on my shoulder in the summer and I basically sat on my a$$ for 4 months and I can definately tell that because I feel like I'm 50 when I'm running and I'm only 26!!!! Any suggestions???

Actually I'd recommend trying speed walking. I know it looks funny when you see someone doing it but it's a very low impact way of building up your stamina very quickly. Just do it 3 or 4 times a week for a half an hour picking up your pace slightly every time. Before you know it you will be able to jog that mile and a half in no time at all.

The right shoes make a difference. New Balance is a good brand that gives extra support. Keep gradually adding distance to your run. Then get used to running a distance that is further than what you need timed at. Back when I was running and training for a 10k (with is 6.2 miles) I got to where I could run 7.5 miles comfortably so the 10k seemed easier. That was the best shape of my life at 5' 9 1/2", 185.

The real trick is mixing your weight training into the routine. If you try lifting too soon after running you'll be too sapped to work out effectively. I'm sure you'll find a routine that works for you.

Man I hate long distance running! But 1 1/2 miles I believe is 6 laps on the track, and that aint too bad. Like the other fellas said, build up stamina and tolerance. How long before you have to run this for the PD? You need to practice over and over, and your goal is 2:05 per lap. It's not record breaking to do that. And make sure that if you are a few seconds over that time, you can step it up for that last lap and go all out! (Make sure you have your "Rocky face" on too!)

You're gonna do fine! Think positive brotha, and get out there and do it! :thumbs

Thanks for the tips so far guys..........I like AR's ideas!!!! :clap I have to do this test at the end of January and I think it becomes more of a mind f&*k for me and I psych myself out about it. I've been running outside for the last week every other day and it's so damn cold out that it takes a lot out of me to run the mile and half. I don't want to start running on a treadmill because that's just not the same and I believe that I will be cutting myself short because I almost didn't get to go to the police academy because I did all my running on the treadmill because it was so cold outside and then when I had to actually run on the street I was sucking wind!!!!

Thanks for the tips so far guys..........I like AR's ideas!!!! :clap I have to do this test at the end of January and I think it becomes more of a mind f&*k for me and I psych myself out about it. I've been running outside for the last week every other day and it's so damn cold out that it takes a lot out of me to run the mile and half. I don't want to start running on a treadmill because that's just not the same and I believe that I will be cutting myself short because I almost didn't get to go to the police academy because I did all my running on the treadmill because it was so cold outside and then when I had to actually run on the street I was sucking wind!!!!

Running???!!!! That's what the rookies are for!! ;)

For running in the winter I suggest getting a neoprene mask like you would wear for skiing.

For running in the winter I suggest getting a neoprene mask like you would wear for skiing.

Yeah I just got done running two miles and between the cold and the wind it took me quite a while to get it done!!!! I did do some sprint drills though (i.e. sprint from one light pole to the other then walk from that light pole to the other) I feel pretty good right now it just getting my body acclimented to doing it again.......

Where do you have to do the test? Indoors or out? Training outdoors could actually help you if the test is indoors. You'll be conditioning your body to more demanding conditions, and the indoor test won't be so bad. You've got 6 full weeks of training. Use every bit of it. You said you've only been running for a week. You're still getting your body adjusted. After 6 weeks of training, this shouldn't be a problem for ya. Plus, you'll be in some ass-kicking shape, and your wife will love the results.

Where do you have to do the test? Indoors or out? Training outdoors could actually help you if the test is indoors. You'll be conditioning your body to more demanding conditions, and the indoor test won't be so bad. You've got 6 full weeks of training. Use every bit of it. You said you've only been running for a week. You're still getting your body adjusted. After 6 weeks of training, this shouldn't be a problem for ya. Plus, you'll be in some ass-kicking shape, and your wife will love the results.

The test is indoors so right now I'm running outdoors dealing with the elements and running up and down hills..........so yeah that will definately help. The problem with this test is instead of running around a high school track 6 times and being done with it I have to run something like 16 1/2 laps inside of this building around the high school basketball court. It sucks and I've done it many times before.............