Coach Callahan Apology to the Fans

It wasn't entirely his fault, but I think his play calling was weak. He pretty much abandoned the running game after an entire season of pounding the rock and emphasizing it. That left Taylor vulnerable to OU's pass rush. Then OU rattled him and sacked him a lot, and then Taylor did horrible. But it was the offenses + Grixby's fault.

I get the impression that Callahan really cares, which sometime is hard to see out of a coach. I think Cally is genuine. He wants to take NU to the top, I truly believe that. Learn from your mistakes Bill. I think he will live and learn. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, are you?

I definitely believe. He is still growing into being a college head coach of a major program. I think there are definite areas for improvement, of course, but it is easy to say the game plan was flawed after it fails. I feel as if the offense could have stepped it up a bit more and Taylor seemed to press a bit much.

I have all the confidence in the world that he will get the job done. The time for tough decisions is here. That is what he gets the big money for. I think he needs to re-think his position on game time adjustments. coaches have a learning curve to go through as well and I think Bill knows this and will learn from the mistakes he can control whether it is staff changes or game preperation or whatever.

Bill has brought us a long way from his first year and we should continue to improve.

GBR

P.S. Apology accepted

Game plans change when players are injured. Does anyone recall that Jackson broke his hand. He plays for one main reason as I said at the beginning of the year. He is the only one that picks up blocking assignments. Without him, we run outside the tackles. Oklahoma was too fast for that.

Lucky stops at the line of scrimmage on every play unless it is to the outside. He does not block. Wilson does not block and does not fair well between the tackles, the place to beat Oklahoma. Cody is still hurt.

Zac lost a lot of confidence when BJ went down, his security blanket was gone. He knew we would not be able to run the ball and took the whole load on himself. He pressed on numerous passes against the fastest defensive backfield we faced all year IMO.

This team is not nor was it a top ten program at the beginning of the year. We will not be next year either. Still to shallow in the depth pool. No real playmakers on either side of the ball, except for maybe Purify. We have no head hunters on defense.

Anyone thinking that BC does not want to win is an idiot. This man works more hours than anyone we have ever had before. I truly believe he loves this program. Coaches do not intenionally lose games. I admire his dedication and his honesty. He will do the right thing.

I will accept his apology. But in my mind he does not owe anyone an apology. He is doing a great job with the hand dealt. But if some feel it is needed he did the right thing. This program needs everyone behind it. I think he is trying to unify the team and the fans.

Obviously BC saw some things the Huskers could have done differently to take advantage of OK. He doesn't think execution was the biggest problem. Everyone loses sometimes. I think we will continue to progress and learn. I never expected instant gratificationl. The Huskers have their problems but it's still been a good year. Heck, we're playing again in January.

Game plans change when players are injured. Does anyone recall that Jackson broke his hand. He plays for one main reason as I said at the beginning of the year. He is the only one that picks up blocking assignments. Without him, we run outside the tackles. Oklahoma was too fast for that.

Lucky stops at the line of scrimmage on every play unless it is to the outside. He does not block. Wilson does not block and does not fair well between the tackles, the place to beat Oklahoma. Cody is still hurt.

Zac lost a lot of confidence when BJ went down, his security blanket was gone. He knew we would not be able to run the ball and took the whole load on himself. He pressed on numerous passes against the fastest defensive backfield we faced all year IMO.

This team is not nor was it a top ten program at the beginning of the year. We will not be next year either. Still to shallow in the depth pool. No real playmakers on either side of the ball, except for maybe Purify. We have no head hunters on defense.

Anyone thinking that BC does not want to win is an idiot. This man works more hours than anyone we have ever had before. I truly believe he loves this program. Coaches do not intenionally lose games. I admire his dedication and his honesty. He will do the right thing.

I will accept his apology. But in my mind he does not owe anyone an apology. He is doing a great job with the hand dealt. But if some feel it is needed he did the right thing. This program needs everyone behind it. I think he is trying to unify the team and the fans.

Excellent points! :thumbs

I have serious doubts about elmassian. I know that he knows a hell of alot more about football than I ever will, but he has made two NFL corners (Washington and Bowman) look pretty darn bad at times. Say all you want about Grixby, but there are succesful short corners out there, and him and Jones were both highly recruited coming out of high school. Im just not sure if it is the techinique that Elmassian is teaching them, or the scheme that Cosgrove has them running. I dont know, but I know we have to be better at that position. Safeties I will give a pass on, no coach is going to make a running back and a walk on from eight man football look like ronnie lott and steve atwater out there, and it seems like they are consistantly in position to make some sort of play. We gave up nearly nothing in the middle of the field the whole year.

I agree with everything you just said, great post.

I agree with everything you just said, great post.

Good post. However, if this were all true in BC's thinking I don't get why he would apologize or what he plans to change. It wasn't his fault BJ broke his hand and there's nothing he can do to fix it. Are you saying that when BJ went out BC needed to adjust the plan in some way to keep ZT playing within his optimal skill zone? There are limits to how much one can change the plan for which the team prepared.