SIGNED: FS/OLB Sean Fisher

Huskers address the D

by: Craig Haubert

posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 | Print Entry

filed under: Nebraska Cornhuskers

ESPN 150 Watch List OLB/S Sean Fisher announced he would be a second-generation Nebraska Cornhusker Thursday. Fisher, an incoming senior at Millard North High in Omaha, will follow in his father's footsteps and suit up for the Big Red.

Fisher is a tall, rangy high school safety who shows very good upside. He has good speed and quickness and the frame to add some serious bulk. His long strides allow him to cover ground, and he displays a feel for defending the deep ball. He is tough versus the run and plays with a motor. While he displays the tools to be a college safety, his frame and aggression could see him land at outside linebacker in college. With his ability to add size and have a presence in the box, he could be a nice fit in the Blackshirts defense as a linebacker.

Nebraska seems to be taking steps every season toward regaining a dominant position in the Big 12 North. The defense has played a big part in the resurgence, but several of the Blackshirts key back-seven players in 2006 were juniors and seniors. The addition of an in-state prospect like Fisher with some versatility is big for Nebraska. He allows them to take steps to continue fill holes. Fisher has the ability to help at safety if needed early on and possibly grow in the mold of a Stewart Bradley or Bo Ruud at linebacker down the line.

• 1 month later...

Monday column: A glimpse at Nevada, a Husker recruit, and the odd motivational techniques of KSU's Prince

Caught the first big high school football game of the season on Friday night: Millard North v. Millard South. Got a glimpse of NU recruit and MN safety Sean Fisher, too.

Fisher isn't likely to fondly remember the game. The Patriots won 24-14, and Fisher was beaten by running back Tyler Kildow on the game's decisive play, a 76-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Bronson Marsh with 1:29 left in the game.

The Mustangs had pulled within 17-14 when Marsh, out of the shotgun, hit a sprinting Kildow on a go route. Fisher had the coverage responsibilities; Kildow burned past him. On the ensuing kickoff, Fisher bobbled the ball, then was sandwiched by two Millard South tacklers.

The kid's an athlete, though. He returns kicks, he punts, he plays wingback. He never left the field Friday. You can't teach raw athleticism, and Fisher has it.

A co-worker went to that game and said that he got beat a couple times and seemed down. I heard Vondrae was the star of the show. How many days until Nebraska offers him a scholarship?

Bronson March, the sophomore QB for the Patriots, had 250+ yards receiving and Tostenson had just 3 rec for like 27 yards. The other two starters had all of the yard and TD's. Ty Kildow, 5'7" 170 Jr. (who won fastest man at NU's summer camp this year) had two really long catches with one for a TD and Jordan Hale 5'11" Jr also had a long TD (70+).

Tostenson will get his chances as long as he keeps his nose clean, but with three hgih quality WR like they have it will be difficult for any one guy to have a monster season.

A co-worker went to that game and said that he got beat a couple times and seemed down. I heard Vondrae was the star of the show. How many days until Nebraska offers him a scholarship?

Bronson March, the sophomore QB for the Patriots, had 250+ yards receiving and Tostenson had just 3 rec for like 27 yards. The other two starters had all of the yard and TD's. Ty Kildow, 5'7" 170 Jr. (who won fastest man at NU's summer camp this year) had two really long catches with one for a TD and Jordan Hale 5'11" Jr also had a long TD (70+).

Tostenson will get his chances as long as he keeps his nose clean, but with three hgih quality WR like they have it will be difficult for any one guy to have a monster season.

FYI, Kildow (who was the only Sophomore on the All-Nebraska First Team in Baseball this spring) is the most explosive player on the team. Tostenson has the best combo of physical size and ability but because of the other two, Hale might actually get more opportunities for big plays because he may get lost out there like Brandon Stokely did a few years back for the Colts. They will be tough to beat.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw him last night, man he played a pretty good game, made some good tackles, had some good carries, and kicked it well. Luckily Millard West won though. When we stormed the field after the game I caught up to him and wished him luck next year, I think he thought I was joking and just ignored me but I would be mad too after a loss.

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Sean Fischer's performance in the state football game was legendary. 44 carries for 200 yards. Pretty sure he'll be a welcome edition to our depleted linebacker crew.

While Fisher certainly played like a warrior, I can't help but remember a few years ago when MN played Lincoln SE in the championship game and John McArdle had 4 million carries. MN lost that game too. I always thought Petito put together a great system only to lose that championship due to ridiculous playcalling. MN was a better team than Central in my opinion and Petito blew the game. I think we are lucky Fisher is such a specimen and didn't get hurt toting the ball so many times.

Sean Fischer's performance in the state football game was legendary. 44 carries for 200 yards. Pretty sure he'll be a welcome edition to our depleted linebacker crew.

While Fisher certainly played like a warrior, I can't help but remember a few years ago when MN played Lincoln SE in the championship game and John McArdle had 4 million carries. MN lost that game too. I always thought Petito put together a great system only to lose that championship due to ridiculous playcalling. MN was a better team than Central in my opinion and Petito blew the game. I think we are lucky Fisher is such a specimen and didn't get hurt toting the ball so many times.

McCardle got robbed. We all know he got the first down, the replays proved that.

McCardle got robbed. We all know he got the first down, the replays proved that.

I thought he got the first down too, but it should never have come down to that and if Petito wasn't so stubborn it wouldn't have.