Its very possible...

huskerguy

Ok, fine, but the number one job of a CB is to keep the receiver you're covering from catching the ball. Number two is making tackles against the run.

Stop pass completions and you're a competent CB.

Stop pass completions and make tackles against the run, and you could be a great CB.

Make tackles against the run, and be a poor coverage guy, and you should find yourself on the bench.

lol

You are saying that Grixby is doing a better job than Jones.

You are funnier than Dane Cook on weed.

Are you trying to tell me that all 58 of his tackles are on receivers he "let" catch the ball.

If I were a Jim Rome listener I'd tell you how I just spit out coffee through my nose all over my keyboard and now my computer doesn't work and my wife just left me....

since Rome is a retard and I am not a listener I will just say you are a funny man.

Just because he "lost" his blackshirt does not mean he sucks.

As I said before it is purely (academically) motivational. He'll have his blackshirt and he will shut the Tigers down.

Do you really think a JuCo is going to take away a years worth of experience?

Or maybe you think Thenarse is the man? <- this is more plausible however you will see before the game that Jones beat him out by a longshot.

Are you trying to tell me that all 58 of his tackles are on receivers he "let" catch the ball.

No, I am not. If you read my post you will see that I acknowledged that he may make stops against the run, accounting for a lot of his tackles. That doesn't make him a good CB. A CB, first and foremost, prevents his receivers from making catches. Stopping the run, for a CB, is just gravy and not the meat and potatoes of his position. And no, I didn't say he was worse than Grixby in coverage, but I don't think he is very good.

i really dont think taking our linebackers off the field would be a wise move. Yes our secondary is going to be much improved, with the addition of Asante, Murillo and the devolopment of Thenarse and Culbert. However, I just dont think it makes a lot of sense to take out Dillard (who i think could start at Strongside linebacker) or Octavian, then throw in Mceon and that is a very good part of our defense. I could see in certain situations such as a dime or nickel putting in that many db's but for a base defense i dont think makes much sense. I also think that culbert is much more physically talented than Green and with a year under his belt will take out Green for the starting spot along with Asante, Bowman, and Murillo, with Grixby or Thenarse coming in for added DBs.

Our whole defensive secondary that started all this year, that none of them start next year with 3/4 returning... I love the depth this recruiting class is giving us! Best class of BC era so far
I doubt it's very possible, but it's possible.

How many freshman have come in to earn starting spots? Historically?

You are correct but I also think that BC is sick and tired of the more "experienced" players not living up to their potential. With that, I look for one hell of a compititive spring! I wouldn't be suprised if you see a Freshman or two listed high on the depth chart come next fall. Coz is getting all the "toys" he needs to field a damn good defense. He better produce!!!

i agree that you could see some freshmen very high on the depth chart. However we saw the exact same thing this year. From about the third game Culbert and Thenarse were second string at their positions. When it came time to obviously give them a shot due to the fact that Shanle would think it was touch football they would never go in. It seemed like the staff was scared to put a frosh in just because of seniority which is the dumbest thing anyone could do. In my opinion that could be what recruits are seeing. I think if we would have just thrown one of them in there at the beginning against lesser teams they would have got their jitters out of the way. I dont buy that crap about ruining self esteem. That is what coaching is for to pick them back up and build their confidence back up. The so called "moment" Thenarse had in practice this week could have happened four months ago and he along with culbert would be a lot better for it.

But the "moment" he had in practice could have come during IaSt, Kansas or anyone else then it might have lost us the game and momentum.

Thenarse has probably been giving 100% all year (any disagreements?) and with all that effort all year he not only got spanked this week in practice he got blown up, got schooled, he looked silly against the 1's and he acknowledged it.

Are you telling me that playing him earlier in the year he would have gotten that much better? If he did get that much better from a little more playing time (maybe costing us some w's) then did he get out of practice everything that he possibly could?

His "moment" this week has pretty much proved that you aren't going to come in here and take positions away from experienced players that are decent unless you are outstanding (by outstanding I mean a 6 star).

We have two 5 stars, Bowman and Jones, a 4 star (Grixby), and some are saying that a 4 star JuCo with no D1A experience is going to trump our starters?

Puleeese.

You will probably think im stupid but I see Grixby starting next year..

CB:Bowman

CB:Grixby

SS:Asante

FS:Green

when we play a nickel I see Grixby moving to that role and Murillo and Jones splitting time across from Bowman..

I could also see Culbert or Thenarse pushing Green for PT

I agree. I think people are being too hard on Grixby considering the entire secondary has played poorly this season. Replacing Shanle will allow the coaches to call some different coverages instead of trying to protect our safeties.