FIRE CALLAHAN!

Oh my god...what a bunch of self entitled, poor me fans some of you all are...I want what I want and I want it now!!! (stomps foot!) :madash:steam.

You do realize we, meaning our Huskers, have not even PLAYED on New Years Day for a very long time, you understand that don't you??? Just the fact that we did play on Jan 1 instead of 12/28 or what have you indicates progress to me. The recruiting is looking awesome as well. :thumbs

Jeez, take a breath and chill.... I love my Huskers just as passionately as you all, by man-o-man let's get this thing in perspective.

There are way more things going on in this world and our country than college football. And besides, I for one, don't want to listen/read all this negative crap for the rest of the off season. Not healthy I tell you!

And yes, I am a sunshine pumper and a believer...as if you didn't know. :corndance

Hiring and firing top level coaches is not the easiest thing to do. There are actually top coaches that would not even consider coming to Nebraska for any amount of money. Some were offered last time.

I agree. It happened last time. We had to settle, and look at what it got us.

Listening to sports radio today, Callahan mentioned that he "knew that we were not a top 10 team" to which Stewart Bradley seemed pissed (it also explains his poor game plans like this game, OU and USC). Also the Auburn D Coordinator mentioned that "if they could survive the first 12-14 plays, they would be fine because West Coast [Offense] guys are 'programmed.'"

Holycow! What a thread. A lot of reading. I thought the boys did alright. Auburn was the better team. They were beatable though. As for Callahan, I dont expect much improvement. I'm only going by what I have seen the last three years. I hope it gets better. Until that happens, it is what it is.

22-15 record after three years. 59% Winnng percentage.

2-6 record against ranked opponents 25% Winning percentage (2005 OT win at home against #23 ISU; 2006 win against #24 A&M)

Of the 22 wins: Western Illinois, Pittsburgh, Maine, Nichols State, Louisiana Tech, Baylor twice, and Colorado (06).

Remaining record: 14-15

Actually 4-6 against the top 25. You forgot Michigan last season and I'm almost 100% positive that Missouri was 25th in the Coaches poll the week we played them this season. 5 of the 6 losses have come against top 10 opponents at the time that we played them. So we're 4-1 against ranked opponents outside of the top 10 in the Callahan era (only loss being the Texas Tech thriller a year ago). I'll take that. Now I'm getting extremely frustrated seeing Nebraska lose to the top 10 as well. Could we have beaten Texas? Of course, but we caught a bad break similar to what happened against Tech in 05. Could we have beaten Oklahoma? Yes we could have, but a mistake gave them the momentum early and Taylor just didn't have the tools to beat that defense. Could we have beaten Auburn? Absolutely, but some questionable calls, especially near the end, and once again their D shut our passing game down. It's extremely frustrating, and Callahan has a ways to go, but for everyone on this thread calling for his head you need to get real.

We had 5 recruiting classes as a part of this team heading into this season. Two of them were Solich's, and one of them Callahan had three weeks to salvage and bring in a couple four stars. Those classes were ranked 40th, 42nd and 27th in the nation. Since then, we've brought in the 5th, 20th and working on the 8th best. The average for the recruiting class rankings of the athletes in our program this year was 26.8, meaning about the 27th best in the country on average. Our talent is extremely young. If you put this up against the top 10 teams we faced - USC (3.8), Texas (10.2), Oklahoma (6.2), Auburn (12.2) - we aren't there yet. But if recruiting for 07 were to end today and you did the average of Callahan's 3 full classes, we're right at 11, just above Auburn and just below Texas. And if you believe that Boise State could've done what they did if they played in a BCS conference week in and week out then you are just naive.

I'm not saying that Callahan doesn't have things to work on, because it's obvious that he does. But he's still young. This was only his 5th season as a head coach on any level. Coaches improve just as players do. I'm still behind Callahan 100%. If we're still losing to every top 10 team we face in two years then I'll change my opinion. But for now, 4-1 against ranked opponents outside the top 10 is good indication that we're getting there. Beating the entire Big XII North when 4 years ago we were getting blown out by Missouri and Kansas State at home is good indication that we are getting there. Going to the Big XII Championship game and competing against one of the top 3 SEC teams in a New Years Bowl game is good indication that we're getting there. A lot of you want to see NCs right away, and we all do, but it just won't happen. Too much parity in college football and we were left in a bad situation in 2004. I'm looking forward to a great 2007. I'm looking forward to seeing what we're made of when we face off against a good Nevada team and two BCS teams in Wake and USC in our first three games. And I wouldn't be surprised if we went out and started 3-0. This team is getting there, and are in a hell of a lot better situation than we have been in since 1999 IMO. I'm sure as hell not ready to throw in the towel and turn into 'Bama.

Facts are facts look at Mack Brown took him 10 years to win a NC with nearly the top 1 or 2 recruiting class every year..

Anyone who thinks BC should get fired is a flat idiot, but anyone with rose colored glasses better wake-up because top recruits will stop coming to NU fast if he continually chokes in the big game.

Holycow! What a thread. A lot of reading. I thought the boys did alright. Auburn was the better team. They were beatable though. As for Callahan, I dont expect much improvement. I'm only going by what I have seen the last three years. I hope it gets better. Until that happens, it is what it is.

2-6 record against ranked opponents 25% Winning percentage (2005 OT win at home against #23 ISU; 2006 win against #24 A&M)

Of the 22 wins: Western Illinois, Pittsburgh, Maine, Nichols State, Louisiana Tech, Baylor twice, and Colorado (06).

Actually 4-6 against the top 25. You forgot Michigan last season and I'm almost 100% positive that Missouri was 25th in the Coaches poll the week we played them this season. 5 of the 6 losses have come against top 10 opponents at the time that we played them. So we're 4-1 against ranked opponents outside of the top 10 in the Callahan era (only loss being the Texas Tech thriller a year ago).

Wrong. With A&M likely falling out of the rankings, in the Callahan era, NU has not beaten one team that has finished the season ranked.

I don't care where they are when we played them. Remember Tennessee was preseason top 10 last year and finished 5-6. NU has yet to beat a ranked team since the coaching change.

How does it matter more where they finish than when you play them? We played Texas when they were one of the hottest teams in the nation. We didn't get the same Texas that Iowa got. In fact, I'd love to play the same Texas that Iowa played. There's injuries, morale and a million other things that factor into a team slipping as the season goes along. The fact is we're 4-1 against ranked teams outside of the top 10 when we played them.

Actually 4-6 against the top 25. You forgot Michigan last season and I'm almost 100% positive that Missouri was 25th in the Coaches poll the week we played them this season. 5 of the 6 losses have come against top 10 opponents at the time that we played them. So we're 4-1 against ranked opponents outside of the top 10 in the Callahan era (only loss being the Texas Tech thriller a year ago). I'll take that. Now I'm getting extremely frustrated seeing Nebraska lose to the top 10 as well. Could we have beaten Texas? Of course, but we caught a bad break similar to what happened against Tech in 05. Could we have beaten Oklahoma? Yes we could have, but a mistake gave them the momentum early and Taylor just didn't have the tools to beat that defense. Could we have beaten Auburn? Absolutely, but some questionable calls, especially near the end, and once again their D shut our passing game down. It's extremely frustrating, and Callahan has a ways to go, but for everyone on this thread calling for his head you need to get real.

We had 5 recruiting classes as a part of this team headed into this season. Two of them were Solich's, and one of them Callahan had three weeks to salvage and bring in a couple four stars. Those classes were ranked 40th, 42nd and 27th in the nation. Since then, we've brought in the 5th, 20th and working on the 8th best. The average for the recruiting class rankings of the athletes in our program this year was 26.8, meaning about the 27th best in the country on average. Our talent is extremely young. If you put this up against the top 10 teams we faced - USC (3.8), Texas (10.2), Oklahoma (6.2), Auburn (12.2) - we aren't there yet. But if recruiting for 07 were to end today and you did the average of Callahan's 3 full classes, we're right at 11, just above Auburn and just below Texas. And if you believe that Boise State could've done what they did if they played in a BCS conference week in and week out then you are just naive.

I'm not saying that Callahan doesn't have things to work on, because it's obvious that he does. But he's still young. This was only his 5th season as a head coach on any level. Coaches improve just as players do. I'm still behind Callahan 100%. If we're still losing to every top 10 team we face in two years then I'll change my opinion. But for now, 4-1 against ranked opponents outside the top 10 is good indication that we're getting there. Beating the entire Big XII North when 4 years ago we were getting blown out by Missouri and Kansas State at home is good indication that we are getting there. Going to the Big XII Championship game and competing against one of the top 3 SEC teams in a New Years Bowl game is good indication that we're getting there. A lot of you want to see NCs right away, and we all do, but it just won't happen. Too much parity in college football and we were left in a bad situation in 2004. I'm looking forward to a great 2007. I'm looking forward to seeing what we're made of when we face off against a good Nevada team and two BCS teams in Wake and USC in our first three games. And I wouldn't be surprised if we went out and started 3-0. This team is getting there, and are in a hell of a lot better situation than we have been in since 1999 IMO. I'm sure as hell not ready to throw in the towel and turn into 'Bama.

You are right about Michigan (#20) being ranked. My overlook, my bad. Mizzou was not ranked. It changes the record to 3-6 against ranked teams (1-25). Which means we are not 4-1 against ranked teams in the Callahan era as you mentioned.

I'm not arguing. I'm stating the facts. I've put my opinion out already and I'm not going to repeat it.

How does it matter more where they finish than when you play them? We played Texas when they were one of the hottest teams in the nation. We didn't get the same Texas that Iowa got. In fact, I'd love to play the same Texas that Iowa played. There's injuries, morale and a million other things that factor into a team slipping as the season goes along. The fact is we're 4-1 against ranked teams outside of the top 10 when we played them.

Just because a team is preseason ranked #2, it does not mean that they are the 2nd best team in the nation. You can only tell how good a team is at the end of the season. Just because a team is assumed to be good does not make it true. As I said before, Tennessee was a preaseason top 10 team last year, yet went 5-6. I don't know many people who would think that 5-6 team is a top 10 team. I don't.

I look at what a team does over the entire season, not just which ever couple of weeks fits my fancy.

And Callahan has?

Give him time.

Steve Pedersen never used the words "turned around" in his speech. He never mentioned anything about ground-up restoration. That talk started after Callahan went 5-6 his first year.

I wasn't really quoting him. I simply asked a question.

Wrong, Ron Prince changed from a power running game to WCO just like Callahan did.

Ron Prince.. :lol:

Steve Pedersen already made the job unattractive by running off a staff that went 10-3. That argument is pointless now.

The argument is absolutely not pointless. Let's say you are correct, and Steve P. did make it unattractive, how would it help the attractiveness by firing Callahan after 3 years?

I can't believe how some Huskers fans just refuse to see Pedersen for what he is. A slick-talking egomaniac who is making a laughingstock out of one of the nation's most storied football programs.

You are right! I get it now. Let's fire him, Callahan, and the entire staff. When it airs on ESPN and is read in Sports illustrated the only great things will be said about our beloved program. :sarcasm

Do you actually believe we are a laughing-stock? If so, and we commence with these premature firings, just wait, because your belief that we are a laughing stock will become a reality.