FIRE CALLAHAN!

How does it matter more where they finish than when you play them? We played Texas when they were one of the hottest teams in the nation. We didn't get the same Texas that Iowa got. In fact, I'd love to play the same Texas that Iowa played. There's injuries, morale and a million other things that factor into a team slipping as the season goes along. The fact is we're 4-1 against ranked teams outside of the top 10 when we played them.

Just because a team is preseason ranked #2, it does not mean that they are the 2nd best team in the nation. You can only tell how good a team is at the end of the season. Just because a team is assumed to be good does not make it true. As I said before, Tennessee was a preaseason top 10 team last year, yet went 5-6. I don't know many people who would think that 5-6 team is a top 10 team. I don't.

I look at what a team does over the entire season, not just which ever couple of weeks fits my fancy.

I didn't say whatever week fits my fancy, it's the week we played them. I agree, pre-season polls are useless, but how many of those teams did we play at the beginning of the year? The earliest was Iowa State and that was week 4 or 5. Teams go through hot and cold streaks, and the polls are indication of how well they are doing at the time that we play them, not eight weeks down the road.

It's a good call if it works, it's a bad call if it doesn't. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Trick plays are like that. Fake punts thou are a different animal. You better have a good reason why you attempted it. That... I haven't heard yet (why you make that call in the first place).

Playcalling has been a buggaboo with me since BC arrived. Actually b4 that when he was with the Raiders. Once seen him go long on 4th and half a yard to go on MNF. Sometimes he looks like a genius other times you are left going "Huh?". We will need to be able to make better in game adjustments if we want to win conference and play in BCS games in the future. I think that was a big issue this yr.

Finally... while the Midwest WCO is kinda fun to watch with all the play variations, shifts and motion. It hasn't scored very many points IMO. You take out those powerhouses Troy, Nichols St. and La Tech... scoring is only slightly better than last season. Thus 5 losses...

Coach,

Do you remember the fake punt during the SC game. Very close to the same spot. It worked so all were happy with it. I never heard a mention of it being a bone head call then. Some of the other calls got a lot of head scratching for sure.

I do agree that I would not have done it. But some great plays are made when least expected. It did show a lot of confidence in the kids and our defense.

But I understand your thoughts, and most eveyone elses on that play. But it did not cost us the game. There were many things that could have happened to overcome that.

Once again, the magnificent voice of reason.

Coach,

Do you remember the fake punt during the SC game. Very close to the same spot. It worked so all were happy with it. I never heard a mention of it being a bone head call then. Some of the other calls got a lot of head scratching for sure.

I do agree that I would not have done it. But some great plays are made when least expected. It did show a lot of confidence in the kids and our defense.

But I understand your thoughts, and most eveyone elses on that play. But it did not cost us the game. There were many things that could have happened to overcome that.

Once again, the magnificent voice of reason.

No doubt. skersfan > *

I was absolutely disapointed with the loss. I thought we had the talent and the means to win this bowl game. Ater the game, I felt we should have won and for the first time blamed the coaching.

With that being said:

I took a step back and really took a good look at it. In the very recent past, not only would we not even have the chance to play a top 10 team in a bowl, the best we could hope for was not to get beat too bad. Currently, we expect the win. The cotton bowl was ours to win and Auburn is a top 5 team in my mind. We out played them, and should have won. This is something I sure didn't say emediately after the game. But, I went back and looked at the stats and Nebraka out played Auburn in every catigory except the score and average punting yrds. Have you guys looked at these stats. We actually held AUBURN to 176 total yards! That is unbelievable! Has any team done that this year? (I honestly don't know) Punt averages went to Auburn as well by 3 yrds. 1 play goes our way and we win. 3 plays and we win big. This was against a team without the injuries they had this year plays the the NC. We are on our way to the top and there is no denying that.

With the new recruits and Keller, I am very excited about next year. I still have some uneasy feelings about some of the calls but, I am not paid millions to WIN. I couldn't even begin to understand the stress that goes along with the head coaching job at Neb. I say "keep it up Callahan" When this team starts firing on all cylinders...... UNSTOPABLE.

GBR

Those of you who want Callahan fired, what do you think that would do to this recruiting class? That could set us back big time! I am not 100 percent sure this guy will bring us back to glory. Maybe he will; maybe he won't. But I am 100 percent sure we need to give him more time. When your shelf was on empty and you have an entirely new system, it may take at the very least as many as four or five recruiting classes to bring this program back. Three years is hardly enough to make a final judgement.

I'm not calling for Callahans head but anyone who realy thinks the fake punt was a good call doesn't know football. The situation and field position wasn't right for that kind of call.

Love the play. Can't go with the law of averages every time...or else you'll just be average.

:clap Very well put.

Some of these people are idiots. You notice that the blackshirts played well and you don't hear any fire Cosgrove comments. So when Callahan has a bad game you move from fire Cosgrove to fire Callahan. It's obviously a "what have you done for me lately" type of thing. It seems that you all just want to have something to bitch about. Everyone loves his trick play calls when they work and they don't like them when they don't work. It's part of the game, get over it. The program is in a better position than it was in 2003 and it's continuing to get better. You can see this by the talent that is coming in. The coach DOES need to improve but he is learning things too. And when Nebraska gets the talent that these others teams have (Oklahoma, Texas, USC etc.) they will win the big games. Talent and speed make a huge deal. Just see how Auburns fast DB's shut down our passing game. We do not have the talent at wide reciever to out run or get open against today's fast secondaries (example- Sweed, Jarret, Smith, etc). We have began to get that type of talent in the latest recruiting classes but just one guy isn't going to make much of a difference. If Taylor had recievers that could seperate themselves from the secondary he would have thrown or a lot more that game. It's coming and to say that we haven't gotten better and to fire the coach and start over is ridiculous. It's just like a post I read earlier. Osborne didn't win a NC for 20 years, if you idiots were around before 1995 and had your way, Tom Osborne would have been burned at the stake. But when he started winning the bar got set very high for expectations, and that's a good thing to have, but we need to get the talent back here before we start making a huge impact again.

Some of these people are idiots. You notice that the blackshirts played well and you don't hear any fire Cosgrove comments. So when Callahan has a bad game you move from fire Cosgrove to fire Callahan. It's obviously a "what have you done for me lately" type of thing. It seems that you all just want to have something to bitch about. Everyone loves his trick play calls when they work and they don't like them when they don't work. It's part of the game, get over it. The program is in a better position than it was in 2003 and it's continuing to get better. You can see this by the talent that is coming in. The coach DOES need to improve but he is learning things too. And when Nebraska gets the talent that these others teams have (Oklahoma, Texas, USC etc.) they will win the big games. Talent and speed make a huge deal. Just see how Auburns fast DB's shut down our passing game. We do not have the talent at wide reciever to out run or get open against today's fast secondaries (example- Sweed, Jarret, Smith, etc). We have began to get that type of talent in the latest recruiting classes but just one guy isn't going to make much of a difference. If Taylor had recievers that could seperate themselves from the secondary he would have thrown or a lot more that game. It's coming and to say that we haven't gotten better and to fire the coach and start over is ridiculous. It's just like a post I read earlier. Osborne didn't win a NC for 20 years, if you idiots were around before 1995 and had your way, Tom Osborne would have been burned at the stake. But when he started winning the bar got set very high for expectations, and that's a good thing to have, but we need to get the talent back here before we start making a huge impact again.

Hey idiot

Shut the F*ck up with the berating of other members. Its getting old fast.

wow, i thought everyone would be spent by now with this thread...it is time to move on guys, as frustrated as many may be, it would cause immeasurable harm to fire cally now. and Ped wouldn't do it anyway. and what message would that send to any prospective coach coming in?

3 years and you're out unless you win the Big 12 and/or a high profile bowl game? if he makes little or no progress and still makes alot of meat-head calls 2 or 3 years from now, then maybe yes, the experiment should be terminated......we'll see