This Loss Hurts The Most

Ugh...this was the most frustrating loss of the year. Congrats to Auburn but we should have won this game. Sure we had the unlucky tipped INT that they ran deep into our territory. But the fake punt call (THAT DEEP IN OUR OWN TERRITORY) was absolutely inexcusable and gave Auburn an easy 7. Then again, we make no adjustments at the half and lose (again inexcusable). Hats off to the defense as they played very well and gave us EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO WIN. How many times have we seen this though where our defense is left to win us the game because the playcalling in the second half is atrocious? I am getting sick of it because it is so predictable...defense does all they can to win it but offense is playing so poorly that defense can't keep us in the game forever. Lucky played very well but he was getting worn down so why keep pounding it with him and pitching to him with Auburn's fast defense? That loss on the run before we had a chance at a FG killed us. Either we can try a somewhat long FG or go for it on 4th and short. At 4th and 11 we were were pretty much screwed (it appears we have no confidence in Congdon to kick FG's at all...and why wasn't Wesch blasting it into the endzone on KO's?). And why was Taylor dropping back deep in the pocket and then running for losses instead of just getting rid of the ball? Very tough to watch. We went into our shell again in the second half and gave a very winnable game to Auburn. :angry: :angry: :angry:

This loss hurts the most. Had chance to win a significant bowl game against significant opponent. Send the seniors out with great win. Get momentum going for next year. Finish highly ranked (now we are likely out of the top 25). I'm starting to get really PO'd with the "Hey we hung with Auburn...and hey we almost beat Texas, etc." That mentality has got to stop. The only games this year we lost where I felt the opponent was better than us were USC and Oklahoma. So, I am not too happy we have those additional 3 losses. :madash

I have been a Callahan supporter and will continue to be so but this loss is on him and very poor playcalling in second half. He has proven he is excellent at drawing up gameplans for the first half but is just as dreadful with playcalling and adjustments in the second half...somehow this has got to change. I don't know if he just feels he doesn't have the personnel to get it done in second half? I've also enjoyed and liked Taylor over the last couple of years so bummed to see him go out with this ugly loss. Will be interesting to see with Keller next year. I can see us taking more shots at big time oppenents and busting open some second halfs next year! I hate it that we cave into oppenents in the second half...playing not to lose instead of playing to win. A team with that type of signature mark will never win the big game. A signature mark of Nebraska football is still missing from the Callahan era...that we will roll teams in the second half so you better try to get us early...hopefully that changes next season.

:rant

Did you notice what we Auburn fans have been telling you? You run straight at us we can't stop you. You guys ran the ball well straight at us. It's when you tried to get fancy did our speed catch up to you. If you would have kepted pounding away straight at us, you'd blown us out. I just feel fortunate our defense showed up to keep us in the game. Our offense stunk and credit that to your defense as well. Keep your heads up Nebraska. You're a classy program and take this loss and build from it. I just pray we find some offense next year or it's going to be a long season for us next season. Go Huskers!!!

WARRRRR EAGLE!!!!!

Did you notice what we Auburn fans have been telling you? You run straight at us we can't stop you. You guys ran the ball well straight at us. It's when you tried to get fancy did our speed catch up to you. If you would have kepted pounding away straight at us, you'd blown us out. I just feel fortunate our defense showed up to keep us in the game. Our offense stunk and credit that to your defense as well. Keep your heads up Nebraska. You're a classy program and take this loss and build from it. I just pray we find some offense next year or it's going to be a long season for us next season. Go Huskers!!!

WARRRRR EAGLE!!!!!

Agreed. This is a game where we really needed Brandon Jackson and Cody Glenn to be healthy. Lucky just isn't an every down back. The injuries really hurt that way.

Congrats on the victory. Good luck next year!

Prior posts are good ones. Props to Lucky for playing well but he was wearing down so why were the calls for pitches to the outside to see if he could outrun the speedy defense? Just ugly playcalling. I agree it would have helped to have a more healthy BJax as we could go more right at them like he did on his TD run. Ultimately though we did not do enough in the passing game to keep Auburn off-balance in the second half.

This loss hurts a lot. Ive wanted to say it in so long that we beat a top 10 team, guess not. This season was a couple plays from being great. I think we beat ourselves this year the teams we lost to didnt beat us we beat ourselves. I think all this negative stuff is going to stop next year, we ARE going to beat some good teams next year. I think our team next year is going to surprise people. GO BIG RED

Our losses:

USC = we played very tentatively on the road and were never in it the second half.

Texas = fumbled away the win.

Okie State = were dominating but then had complete defensive meltdown to lose.

Oklahoma = just could not score on their defense.

Auburn = :wtf We had this game and should have won.

Like I said, USC and Oklahoma beat us fairly soundly...these other 3 losses are very frustrating. We at least should have gone 2-1 instead of 0-3 in those games. Then again, we could have easily lost the A&M game. 5 losses is disheartening...wins against Texas and today against Auburn would have been very encouraging for the program and made this a great season. Instead the season sort of ends flat...

I agree with some of the above about running right at Auburn with our backs...this is a perfect game for guys like Glenn and Wilson to shine. Why Callahan sits both of them on the bench and pass the ball to Lucky out of the back field every other play...I don't know, but if Wilson carried the ball today he might have had over 100 with his style of running, which is physical and refuses to go down.

Can't understand why we didn't keep pounding up the middle and wearing down their front 7, it was working. And with four backs to use, keep shuttling them in and have fresh legs going. Lucky was starting to get worn down late.

Tooo, tooo conservative as usual other than the horrible fake punt. Should have taken some shots downfield.

I agree with you all. I really think that we are a couple of playmakers away from being a legit championship contender. I definitely think the program is heading in the right direction. If we can replace our front four next year and with the addition of Niles Pual and the hopeful return of Zack Bowman, there is no reason why we shouldn't be competing for a national championship next year. GO BIG RED!