Osborne says he would have coached another five years...

my bet is that he made a promise to his wife. i suppose he could have made the promise to frank solich, but if that is true, i'm going to stab myself in the eye. :hellloooo

Have to believe it is one of the 2, if not both. I have read many a rumor that said that there was an agreement between Solich and Osborne that he would take over. Rumors are not good for much until there is some juice put behind them.

you're probably right. it probably was a promise to both of them. :hmmph

He said he almost took the Michigan State job after he left Nebraska. But his Grand Children talked him out of it.

I'll never get tired about reading about TO. He's class all the way. If you haven't read Faith in the Game do yourself a favor and read it!

Amen. It's one of my favorite books. My dad is a minister and a diehard Husker fan, so him getting the book wasn't a question :) . I borrowed it a couple years back, and want to eventually get a copy for myself.

I think when Frank finished #2 in the Minnesota Gopher search he felt that NU would lose Frank to another program if he didn't step down. If Frank had not gone looking for a HC job (and I'm not criticising him for doing so) NU might have gotten more years out of Coach Osborne.

Just my opinion.

He said he almost took the Michigan State job after he left Nebraska. But his Grand Children talked him out of it.

not doubting you at all, but do you have a source for this? i would like to be able to prove this to a Michigan State fan friend of mine...

I've heard it many a time... if you do a search for his name and Michigan State, I'm sure you could find him quoted somewhere.

I have heard from sources that in 1992 Frank Solich was offered the head coaching position elsewhere. Osborne said that "If you don't go there, I will make you head coach in 5 years." That what I have heard from reliable sources.

Not what I heard from my reliable source :)