LB Steven Filer

Player: Steven Filer

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Position: LB

Height: 6’3”

Weight: 220

40 time: 4.6

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St., Wisconsin, Virginia, Stanford, Michigan, Ohio St., Illinois, Notre Dame, Minnesota

Favorites:

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Could very well end up being a top 5 player in the nations. Very, very, very good ballplayer

Per: A Step Ahead: Jim Stefani's Underclassmen Football Recruiting Blog

One of the nation’s elite linebacker prospects and considered by some to be the top prospect in Illinois...........A Second Team All-State selection by the Chicago Tribune as a junior……….Plays for one of the most powerful programs in the Chicago area……As a junior, he registered almost 90 tackles and 8 sacks in leading his team to a 12-2 record and another appearance in the state championship game……..As a rare sophomore starter at Mount Carmel, he recorded102 tackles and 3 sacks as the leading tackler for a defense that shut out three opponents and held six more to single digits……..Has a great frame and can go from sideline-to-sideline……Very, very tough, this young man will hit you hard, even in practice……An old school backer with new school skills………Quality young man and an excellent student….Related to former Notre Dame RB Jerome Heavens…..His coach, Frank Lenti, told the Chicago Sun-Times that as of December 2006 Filer had received more Division I scholarship offers than any other player he has coached in 23 years……As of mid-January, 2006 he already had early offers from the likes of Notre Dame, Nebraska, Stanford and Michigan…..Steven, you need to put on your sunglasses; the future looks bright!

Odds of Becoming a Cornhusker: 5%

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing that I am saying this, but this kid might be tough to get away from Illinois. Zook has made it his missiong to lock down the state of Illinois and get the top prospects in the state every year. Mt Carmel is a traditional power that has won several state championships and produced numerous nfl players, including Donovan McNabb. It is also only about two hours from the Illinois campus. This is going to be a tough one, especially since we are not only going up against Illinois, but Michigan and Ohio State, and most kids in Chicago are a heavy big ten lean.

• 3 weeks later...

STEVE FILER, Linebacker from Chicago (Mt. Carmel), Illinois has several offers from schools such as Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, Virginia, Illinois, Stanford, California and others.

"Notre Dame is recruiting me the hardest." said Filer, "They text message me every day. I like Notre Dame because it's close to home and they have great academics."

"I was at Notre Dame's junior day's last week-end." he said, "I like coach Weis, I met him once before."

"Nebraska sends me letter once in awhile." said Filer, "They want me to come up for a spring practice, I probably won't because it's too far away. I'm not sure if I will visit them on an official visit either."

"Michigan is pretty cool." he said, "I haven't talked to their staff yet, but they want me to attend a spring practice."

"I like Dick Tressel (Ohio State)." he said, He writes to me every other day. He's a cool guy."

"Ohio State wants me to attend one of their spring practices too. I also have family that lives in Ohio."

When asked if Filer wanted to stay in the Big 10 area.

"Not really." said Filer, "I just want to give it some time and see what other offers I get. I don't have any favorites right now. I will narrow it down later, and would like to take all five visits. Academically, I'm looking for a good mechanical engeering school."

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...