Why Lucky is our best back

A cb doesnt have to tackle Glenn on a swing pattern, he can just get in the way enough for a lb or safety to get over there. He isnt gonna make the cb miss and take it downfield another 50 yards like Lucky did against Texas A&M, just like he isnt going to make three cuts to get downfield and score on a big run like Lucky did against K State, just like he isnt going to take a center screen and turn it into a 30 yd plus play like Lucky did a few times this year. That being said, Lucky isnt going to run over three guys to plow his way into the endzone like Glenn did, but I never said that Glenn shouldnt see the field. Lucky has more skills, is faster, more elusive, and has better vision than Glenn does. Glenn is bigger and tougher to tackle. Each is better in roles than the other, but Lucky brings alot more to the plate.

A cb doesnt have to tackle Glenn on a swing pattern, he can just get in the way enough for a lb or safety to get over there. He isnt gonna make the cb miss and take it downfield another 50 yards like Lucky did against Texas A&M, just like he isnt going to make three cuts to get downfield and score on a big run like Lucky did against K State, just like he isnt going to take a center screen and turn it into a 30 yd plus play like Lucky did a few times this year. That being said, Lucky isnt going to run over three guys to plow his way into the endzone like Glenn did, but I never said that Glenn shouldnt see the field. Lucky has more skills, is faster, more elusive, and has better vision than Glenn does. Glenn is bigger and tougher to tackle. Each is better in roles than the other, but Lucky brings alot more to the plate.

I agree each have their own role, I wish the would both see the field at the same time, so if the D loaded the box you could throw a screen/swing pass in there to lucky or if you spread the field w/ both them in there then you could power glenn up the middle, but that hasn't happened yet, not sure why. I don't think Lucky's vision is that great though, I remember many times where he missed the hole or cut the wrong way. But either way, I don't think Lucky is an every down back, been stated on here before, and Lucky himself even admitted he didn't think he could carry the rock 20 times a game.

Lucky's vision isn't better than Glenn's. There was never people downing Glenn for running up the back of his blockers... or missing the wide open hole. Lucky runs scared...and is so afraid of contact that when he sees (when he finally does use his vision) a crese, he does his best to hit it...unless someone gets a hand on him...then he's going down.

Ask Bo Ruud how it feels when you arm tackle Glenn (broken arm before Alamo Bowl).

Oh yeah. A back can't tote the rock 30-35 times a game. I think that is one of the reasons why Adrian peterson was hurt so often. Looking through our stats, I think BJax carried 34 times in a game, can't remember which one now, but that is a hell of a lot of carries. That's whey I think it would be beneficial for both of them to play at the same time w/ Glenn getting 15-20 carries and Lucky getting 12-15 w/ 4-7 receptions. Of course all this depends on the strategy of the game and how it flows. And it could all change w/ a fr. back stepping up for PT or Wilson getting back and grabbing a piece of the action.

The coaches, the ones that make millions, they will do their jobs and put the right person in the game. We have to trust that.

Lucky doesnt want to be an every down back. Am i not correct in saying that he stated that as a freshman. Maybe he meant it as a freshman, but lets ask him the same question again. I bet his answer is now different.

Glenn or Lucky, we each have a favorite. However, i dont see how anyone can deny that Glenn does not bring near as much to the table. I keep seeing the comment about carries for loss. Hmmmmmmmmmmm barry sanders had about 1 of every 3 carries go for a loss HE MUST SUCK.

I for one am a Lucky guy but i truly believe that if Wilson could ever get all his ducks in a row he would be by far the best we have. Lucky speed and quickness combined with Glenn power. Scary thought.

Watch this highlight real. I understand that these are his best plays, but there are a hell of alot of plays on there, and not once did he fall backwards, he showed great patience, great receiving ability, he breaks a hell of alot of tackles, and is almost impossible to tackle one on one in the open field. I honestly believe that Lucky and Jackson made a very average offensive line look alot better than it was.

Couldn't agree more.

I also like the job Jordan has done with him. He has really learned a lot. If he improves as much between his soph. and Jr. year as he did between his frosh and soph year...look out!

Lucky's vision isn't better than Glenn's. There was never people downing Glenn for running up the back of his blockers... or missing the wide open hole. Lucky runs scared...and is so afraid of contact that when he sees (when he finally does use his vision) a crese, he does his best to hit it...unless someone gets a hand on him...then he's going down

lucky runs scared? watch that youtube again and tell me where he is "scared" I saw a bunch of people getting ran over. I see him being hestitant, but not scared. I think he needs to learn when to go for the home run, and when you just need to lower you shoulder and get all the yards you can. he's a young back, that is to be expected. when he does learn that, lookout.

I have heard stories from other young backs in college that their biggest weakness was that they thought too much when they had the ball. They would think about where the hole is, where the lineman are going, where the cutback lane is. But once they stopped thinking so much and just reacted to the flow of the game, everything slowed down and felt a lot smoother for them. This might be the case for Lucky on some of his runs where he is not hitting the hole very hard. He might be thinking too much and not just running with the ball.

I agree each have their own role, I wish the would both see the field at the same time, so if the D loaded the box you could throw a screen/swing pass in there to lucky or if you spread the field w/ both them in there then you could power glenn up the middle, but that hasn't happened yet, not sure why. I don't think Lucky's vision is that great though, I remember many times where he missed the hole or cut the wrong way. But either way, I don't think Lucky is an every down back, been stated on here before, and Lucky himself even admitted he didn't think he could carry the rock 20 times a game.

you won't see Glenn and Lucky in the backfield at the same time, at least not consistently. callahan doesn't use them that way, he just doesn't go there, which for me personally i feel is a huge mistake. i would rather see different player combinations in the backfield than all this motion stuff which is tiring to watch.

I'd also like to add that NU just signed a player that may make everyone forget about BJax...his name is Quentin Castille. He's got BJax's power and Lucky's speed (almost). He's gonna be a beast! I can't wait until this kid learns the offense...I am really high on him.

I look for Lucky to be the man next fall (with some Glenn mixed in just for fun), then Lucky still being the man with some Castille and Glenn. I believe Glenn could be a Buckhalter-type player, and do well in the NFL. He's pretty good, but I still believe Lucky is the man.

Ain't it great to have a problem like this? Which of the talented RB's is better?

I'd rather have this than wondering if someone is going to be able to step up. We know both of them can step up, and Castille will be breathing down their necks...although he may be at FB...what a triple combo in 2008!

If the Castille kid has any brains at all he will definately red shirt. He's got three good backs ahead of him right now. Callahan's going to play his son, Marlon no matter how good Castille is. And theres no way he's got more power then Glenn does between the tackles. By the way, who wants a RB in the backfield that doesn't have enough balls to say I want the ball more than 20 times a game. Ask Glenn that question and see what he says? There were several times in the Iowa State game where Glenn was in the open field and made guys miss and got in the endzone or had long runs.

true and this could go on forever. as usual spring will help sort things out. remember, marlon is the only healthy rb in the stable right now, so conditioning-wise, he will have a leg up on everyone else. durability will be a factor again this year and we will likely need more than one primary back to get through the season. even in the NFL, we are just starting to see fresh legs and a 2 back system emerge.