defense next year

who do you think steps in for bradleys spot? I really thought lewis had a shot as a frosh, now......I think if dillard is healthy we have to find a way to get him on the field. has anyone heard how his rehab has been going? I think there might also be a chance that we could leave Asante at lb, but I sure hope not. I think that a hard hitting safety can set the tone for a whole defense(see the colts in the playoffs) should be interesting. the thing I hate about some of the defections yesterday its that it leave us thin in positions where if we have an injury(like last year) we could be in trouble. do you think they will leave thenarse at cb for the up coming season, or will the DB's we brought in be good enough to let him move back to safety?

If Dillard is healthy he will play Mike, and than we have a bit of a battle between McKeon, Ruud and Octavian for the Sam and Will spots and I see it something like this to start the year.

SLB: McKeon, Ruud, Barfield

MLB: Dillard, Brandenburg

WLB: Octavian, Ruud, Covey

I totally forgot about steve-o. I guess that is because he had pretty forgetable year. If he is healthy that totally changes everything.

I believe that Barfield will play DT next year. If you are talking about the JUCO recruit we just got. I would actually like to see Asante learn both the strong safety and weakside linebacker positions so that we can have some flexibilty with our defense. When Asante is in at linebacker have Culbert play the SS spot and when Asante is at SS have Octo in at Will spot. I don't know where Thenarse fits in next year. We seem to have four corners right now (Bowman, Grixby, Jones, Murillo). But the year after we are down to just one of those four. I don't know if it would be wise to have him play FS this year and then move him to corner the following year or if he should just stick to one position and have him learn it.

I dont know why we would move Asante anywhere but Safety. That is why he was brought here, to fill Shanles spot and give it a whole new look this next year. Im not sure why everyone is saying move mceon to strong side bc if anyone pays attention he is not one to take on contact he more or less outruns the lineman or will duck under them to make the tackle. He is what about 230 lbs. I dont think he is big enough or strong enough to take over the strong side. On top of that he has been learning the MIKE spot for three years now and has done a good job. Dillard is a much better prospect to take over the strong side. He is about 240-250 lbs. and stronger than Mceon. The coaches were also saying that they were looking to get him some time there last year anyway. I think we have five capable linebackers next year, not counting the freshmen or Covey. I would be willing to bet the lineup will go something like this (unless something unexpected happens, such as a freshman stepping up, brandenburgh stepping up, or covey stepping up)

WLB: Octavian, Rudd

MIKE: Mceon, Brandenburgh

SAM: Dillard, Brandenburgh

no matter who plays backer, the new guys up front are gonna have to do their job first. i am truly more concerned about their play and development than the backers. it all starts up front

I'm not worried about Suh or Turner but the other two spots will be a big question mark for awhile.

At LB I foresee:

SAM: McKeon, Sievers

MIKE: Dillard, Brandenburgh

WILL: Octavien, Ruud

The recruits Lawrence and Stafford will likely redshirt.

I dont know why we would move Asante anywhere but Safety. That is why he was brought here, to fill Shanles spot and give it a whole new look this next year. Im not sure why everyone is saying move mceon to strong side bc if anyone pays attention he is not one to take on contact he more or less outruns the lineman or will duck under them to make the tackle. He is what about 230 lbs. I dont think he is big enough or strong enough to take over the strong side. On top of that he has been learning the MIKE spot for three years now and has done a good job. Dillard is a much better prospect to take over the strong side. He is about 240-250 lbs. and stronger than Mceon. The coaches were also saying that they were looking to get him some time there last year anyway. I think we have five capable linebackers next year, not counting the freshmen or Covey. I would be willing to bet the lineup will go something like this (unless something unexpected happens, such as a freshman stepping up, brandenburgh stepping up, or covey stepping up)

Hey there old buddy, I'm not trying to be a d!ck but MLB's are usually bigger and stronger then SLB's. Dillards size is perfect for the MIKE and McKeons size and speed are perfect for the SAM. It's not called strong side because you need to be strong, it's called strong side because you line up on the strong side of the field, the side the TE lines up on.

And they wouldn't be changing Asante to LB from Safety, he's A JUCO MLB. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Green going to be moved to FS. That way we'll have Culbert take over SS for Green and maybe Asante will be able to play a little LB. We could use his speed at LB. (I know you remember Terrell Farley and Jamel Williams, 95 wasn't that long ago) I'm not saying Asante will play LB but I think that's what people are talking about.

Hey there old buddy, I'm not trying to be a d!ck but MLB's are usually bigger and stronger then SLB's. Dillards size is perfect for the MIKE and McKeons size and speed are perfect for the SAM. It's not called strong side because you need to be strong, it's called strong side because you line up on the strong side of the field, the side the TE lines up on.

And they wouldn't be changing Asante to LB from Safety, he's A JUCO MLB. Anyway correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Green going to be moved to FS. That way we'll have Culbert take over SS for Green and maybe Asante will be able to play a little LB. We could use his speed at LB. (I know you remember Terrell Farley and Jamel Williams, 95 wasn't that long ago) I'm not saying Asante will play LB but I think that's what people are talking about.

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Hey, the only problem we will have next year is finding someone weak enough to play weak side linebacker!

I believe that Barfield will play DT next year. If you are talking about the JUCO recruit we just got. I would actually like to see Asante learn both the strong safety and weakside linebacker positions so that we can have some flexibilty with our defense. When Asante is in at linebacker have Culbert play the SS spot and when Asante is at SS have Octo in at Will spot. I don't know where Thenarse fits in next year. We seem to have four corners right now (Bowman, Grixby, Jones, Murillo). But the year after we are down to just one of those four. I don't know if it would be wise to have him play FS this year and then move him to corner the following year or if he should just stick to one position and have him learn it.

Yeah, Barfield probably will play DT. I'm not sure why I put him down there as I meant to put Clay Sievers in there.

I think Assante will start at saftey because on Big Red Wrapup last night he said he mainly came to Nebraska because Clemson wanted him to play linebacker, and he thinks his future is at the saftey position. And about the Mckeon playing outside linebacker. Is he even fast enough to be an outside linebacker? Dillard is faster than he is isn't he? And that rumor about Steve getting mad about the coaches wanting to move him, I think they will move Ruud instead. And Culbert will beef up and play even more linebacker than just the Missouri game.

WLB: Octavian, Brandenburg

MLB: McKeon, Culbert

SLB: Ruud/Dillard

I think Ruud and Dillard will share time but Culbert and Dillard could switch spots. Then Dillard and McKeon will share almost equal time, which I would guess is the most likely senario. With all of our linebackers in this 07 class redshirting or playing special teams.

WLB: Octavian, Brandenburg

MLB: McKeon/Dillard

SLB: Ruud, Culbert