Doak Ostergaard

Soo much speculation. Employee A was canned by company X. Employee A says it's not fair, they never game me a reason and I'm a fixture of this institution.

All could be true, all could be true in one persons mind, none of it could be true. We don't really know. We do know that the University like most large institutions like to avoid lawsuits and work very hard to avoid being put in a situation where they can be successfully sued.

I'm guessing everyting is A: legal and we may one day believe it was also B: ethical and correct. We may never know but to simply assume that a terminated employee is 100% accurate in his statements may be a stretch. I know everytime I get bad news and it's a shock you've got to tell me over again the next day after I've slept on it and can get my head back in order. Once that occurs then I can be happy, sad angry or whatever. Today I'm happy

That's amazing someone gets let go and has some bad feelings. It would have been nice for him to have been given a reason, but hardly necessary. That's life. We probably won't ever know if it was deserved or not.

All I can say is when someone has worked for you for 20 years, you gotta give them a reason why they are fired. secondly to fire someone that close to Lucky's mishap is questionable because he will forever be linked to that, even though anyone with an ounce of understanding knows that a trainer does not prescribe drugs. This is another example of Smiley Jones aka Stevie P running the AD without integrity. I work for a large Div 1 public institution and I can tell you, if the AD or coach did that to a long tenured employee, they would be fired and sued because its against university guidelines. But in this case Beau Bridges and Smiley can do whatever they please since Harvey P is holding court over NU

Ya OK, what does "Harvey P holding court" have to do with the University getting sued? The lack of reasons given is probably to avoid that problem. That sucks but I don't see it as a lack of integrity if they are following company policy.

Soo much speculation. Employee A was canned by company X. Employee A says it's not fair, they never game me a reason and I'm a fixture of this institution.

All could be true, all could be true in one persons mind, none of it could be true. We don't really know. We do know that the University like most large institutions like to avoid lawsuits and work very hard to avoid being put in a situation where they can be successfully sued.

I'm guessing everyting is A: legal and we may one day believe it was also B: ethical and correct. We may never know but to simply assume that a terminated employee is 100% accurate in his statements may be a stretch. I know everytime I get bad news and it's a shock you've got to tell me over again the next day after I've slept on it and can get my head back in order. Once that occurs then I can be happy, sad angry or whatever. Today I'm happy

Exactly. A coworker of mine was canned after 20 years of service and his desk was cleaned out immediately and pretty much all evidence of him having work there was erased. We were never privied to exactly why he was no longer working there, and he may not even know exactly why. But...he was known to have butted heads with management, he called in sick quite a bit and was a known drunk. Kind of easy to make assumptions based upon that, but in Doak's case, we know none of his quirks. Him spouting off to the media is easy to get a favorable backing behind him, because the University will not respond to heresay bs like that. It's easy to tell a story to make it sound in your favor if the other side isn't going to rebut.

OWH

Another article on the situation.

NU trainer sees irony in departure

LINCOLN - Doak Ostergard contends Bill Callahan might not be at Nebraska if it weren't for a message Ostergard delivered to the school's athletic administration in January 2004.

Three years later, Ostergard is out as the Cornhuskers' head football trainer after Callahan asked for his resignation.

"It's ironic the way it turned out," Ostergard said Friday.

More than a week after his dismissal, Ostergard said he still doesn't know for sure why Callahan decided to dump him. He said he has his suspicions, but he didn't feel comfortable discussing them.

Attempts to reach Callahan and athletic director Steve Pederson were unsuccessful. Both said previously that they wouldn't discuss Ostergard's departure because it was a personnel matter.

Ostergard said he notified associate athletic director Marc Boehm of Callahan's interest in the Nebraska job after the Oakland Raiders fired Callahan Dec. 31, 2003.

Oh, c'mon. How many useless articles are there going to be about this issue?

It's like Doak is sitting in his living room saying "Oh yea and there was this!!" in between shots of whiskey. And of course, everyone prints it.

One interesting tid bit I had read was that he submitted a letter of resignation. Why would he do that if he got "fired"? It seems he was given a choice to retire and get all the benefits of his retirement or get fired and probably get none. If the Athletic Dept was the devil as many would have you believe, why not fire him and screw him out of everything? There had to be something very serious for this to happen. Marlon Lucky? Well that just might have been the straw that broke the camels back.

Who knows. We can connect dots all day long.

today is day 10 following the firirng/resignation of Doak. we continue to rehash this issue. i know that there is really not that much to talk about during the off season, but why do we feel the need to conjure up conspiracies from the "DARK SIDE" (athletic department).

in my humble opinion, this thread has lived it live and is beyond it usefullness to the human race and needs to be closed.

but hey, that's just me

Doak was on 1620 the other day (Thursday or Friday) and it was funny because he was basically implying that he helped Coach Callahan land the job. Supposedly a couple "mutual friends" called him and he did what he could to pass the info along. So he was surprised the man " he helped get a job" turned on him to get him fired.

I think it had much to do with Coach Callahan wanted things done a certain way and Doak admitted he wanted to keep doing things the way he had under Coaches Osborne and Solich. I'm surprised he lasted this long if that was the case.

Doak was on 1620 the other day (Thursday or Friday) and it was funny because he was basically implying that he helped Coach Callahan land the job. Supposedly a couple "mutual friends" called him and he did what he could to pass the info along. So he was surprised the man " he helped get a job" turned on him to get him fired.

Yeah, as if Callahan hadn't made a name for himself already. :sarcasm

That's like a secretary trying to take credit for some good news that she passed along to her boss that she had absolutely nothing to do with. Doak, it's time to put a lid on it, man.

With all the recently graduated players taking up for Doak, I wonder why the University wasn't a bit more forthcoming.

BECAUSE THERE IS NO REASON TO BE. What purpose would is serve? Other than possibly ending these useless conspiracy theory diatribes posted all over God knows where.

Sure, players that played OVER A DECADE ago talk about how great he was. That's awesome. Trouble is 10 years is a long time. Things can change in 10 years.

For being a guy that next to no one knew existed till this popped up, he is making alot of rounds and running his mouth alot. I would be confident that there are factors we dont know. Maybe his philosphy was different than callahan's, maybe they just didnt get along well. The fact that he seems to be making an effort to smear people he knows will not fire back in the media tells me something about him.

With all the recently graduated players taking up for Doak, I wonder why the University wasn't a bit more forthcoming.

I haven't read of any players from the last 8 years coming to his defense. Perhaps I am not reading in the right places, but the players I heard say anything remotely in his defense is KVB and Jason Peter.

Doak, it's time to put a lid on it, man.

Sand. {50% Inserts Head}

Ass. {At least one inserts Head.}

Let's just for an instance maybe point the finger back at ole Doak, the Associate Head Trainer. We currently have a running back with a mysterious leg infection injury that cannot keep weight on and may not play again. Matt Herian had a severe leg injury, had surgery to repair the broken bone, there was an infection, his leg did not heal correctly, the bone had to be broken again and reset. He came back and was not the same. Cody Glenn has been out for nearly 4 months because of a high ankle sprain. See the injury report and the guys out for spring ball. Take a look at the nature of their injuries, all of them, ALL OF THEM, are for shoulder injuries. Perhaps something that this guy is doing/isn't doing would lead to him not being retained. CONSIDER THAT FOR MAYBE A MINUTE. I'll go back to keeping my head in the sand, now. Thanks for your enlightening remarks. :thumbs