running back situation

I know that a lot of questions about our running game after Jackson leaving early, Lucky going to the hospital, and Glenn and Wilson's past injury but I think that we will not rely on the running game as much, which means less workload for the backs, Keller and Purify will click and will be our main offence. Lucky will be back and probably just as good, Glenn will be a short yardage back, and wilson will come in every once and a while, plus Quentin Castille and Marcus Mendoza might get in a little too

I disagree with that. Callahan is all about balance. I think Callahan has made it very clear that he knows you have to be able to pound the ball inside in the big 12. In my opinion everything is perfectly fine. Lucky is better and will have a breakout season and Glenn is just nursing an injury and will be all better by the time fall camp rolls around. I dont disagree with you that Keller and Purify along with the rest of the receivers that we have will tear it up. I really think Keller will pass for close to 4000 yards this year. That is just how good I think our offense will be. I also think Lucky will rush for 1000 and glenn will rush for about 700. They are going to be a great compliment to one another. I do think Castille will get in and make a contribution and I think that Mendoza will play special teams and maybe some running back depending on what he shows the coaches in spring ball and fall camp. The sleeper is Helu, he has good size and speed, depending on how quick he learns the offense and if he even wants to stay at running back will determine how much time he gets. I think for games like Ball St., maybe Iowa St. Lucky and Glenn will be out by the fourth quarter maybe sooner and thats when you will see heavy doses of Castille and either Mendoza or Helu.

Maybe we pass a little more, but I expect to keep on 'pounding the rock'. Callahan didnt recruit 3 IBs in this class with 3(maybe only 2 depending on how Wilson's situation is) already there if he wasnt going to keep on with the ground focus. Lucky sounds like he wont have any let down after recent events. He should be our feature, with Glenn getting plenty of handles.

i agree totally, besides we still have to see how much improvement our wideouts can make getting off blocks, running routes and just plain catching the ball. no matter how accurate Keller may or may not be chunking the rock, our guys need to start catching the ball consistently.

They better catch it or Keller will be on their *sses if the stories about the scout team are any indication.

i agree totally, besides we still have to see how much improvement our wideouts can make getting off blocks, running routes and just plain catching the ball. no matter how accurate Keller may or may not be chunking the rock, our guys need to start catching the ball consistently.

They better catch it or Keller will be on their *sses if the stories about the scout team are any indication.

Who knows, it might be good for them. No excuse to drop many of the balls we had dropped last year.

It will be interesting to see where Prince plays at. He says he wants to play offense but I just dont see him playing running back. I think that Mendoza will be our "lucky" and Castille will be our "glenn". As I have stated before I think helu will be the sleeper and might take over in the future such as jackson did this year. He has all the tools he needs to be a great all around back. Prince has said before that he wants to play on the offensive side of the ball, so it is going to be interesting.

We will keep running, I'll go with a 60/40 or maybe 70/30 mix of pass to run. WIth Keller being more mobile than Zac and having a better arm, we now can do quite a bit of play action stuff as well. Watch for a couple of redshirts, with Lucky, Glenn and Wilson (who knows?), why not redshirt at least one or multiple of Castille, Mendoza and Prince???

Who knows, it might be good for them. No excuse to drop many of the balls we had dropped last year.

That's no joke, I think Nunn caught as many as he dropped. Not even exaggerating. I think the play mix will stay the same, but if the completion percentage goes up with the number of dropped balls going down, the passing game will be even more efficient.

Im sorry but I just dont think there is any way that we will run 70/30 in favor of anything. Callahan loves balance and that is a pretty overwhelming majority for a west coast offense. I do think it could be like 45/55 in favor of one way. I really am not sure which way because we do have so many quality athletes now. As for redshirting a few, I am totally in favor of. I think Callahan will play two of the younger backs. I really think Castille wont redshirt and one of Helu, Prince (if he plays running back) and Mendoza wont redshirt also in my opinion. Now if they play on special teams then obviously my view doesnt apply.