New Uniforms

LAHusker

I remember when I was in 1st grade and Nebraska wore all RED against Oklahoma.

if i remember correctly, didn't we get beat pretty bad that game??

i may be wrong so dont rip on me if i am, i was no where near being born :corndance

Damn general, how old (young) are you? The time NU wore all red against OU (at least the last time I think) was in 1986. NU did lose the game but just 20-17. (not trying to rip on you, just answering the question). NU had the ball, and the lead by 3 late in the game, and was driving, when Bozworth stripped Keith Jones and he fumbled. OU took that position and tied it, then took the next position and won it.

We also wore all white uniforms a few times before we went to it as the standard in the early 2000s (and thank God changed back). Once in the Citrus bowl against Georgia Tech, and once early in Tommie Frazier’s career against Iowa state I think. There may have been more all white/all red games in the days before satellite tv, but I’m not sure.

Besides the big change that everybody (including me) seems to have hated when we went to the wide stripes and the all white road unis, there have been many other subtle changes.

Of course in the `60’s, with the increase of TV coverage, we had the awful white helmet with the LARGE black numbers instead of the “N.” I think I heard that they thought you could tell the players better on TV with the number on the helmet. Thankfully that didn’t last.

Then there were the high shoulder stripes of the `70’s.

Then the “N” on the sleeve in the early `80’s.

Then the they put the number back on the sleeve and added the “Huskers Winning Tradition” patch high on the left chest.

There have been changes like adding an oval with a roman numerals “XII” at the bottom of the collar on the front of the 1996 Jerseys. At other times there had been an Adidas logo in the same place and “Nebraska” printed above the numbers on the chest in small letters.

The pants have gone from two red stripes down the pants to simple white pants with only a red “N” just below the belt line on one side and the Adidas logo on the other side, to the bold red stripe, back to the white with the “N” and Adidas logo, and last year back to the two red stripes.

They changed the “Huskers Winning Tradition” from a grey script “Huskers” across the middle on a fully embroidered patch, to a sewn on patch with an “N” that matches the helmet and black “Nebraska Football A Winning Tradition” around the outside of the patch. To the last couple of years having the patch for the team captain bear a “C” rather than the “N” (that is another thing I don’t really like).

One of the biggest changes, and one that still kinda pisses me off is when they went from the Jersey that was cropped just above the belt line, to the one that is tucked in. Of course that one was not the Huskers’ fault. That was an edict sent down by that piece of crap NCAA. At the same time they said that if any college football player wanted to wear gloves they had to be gray. It seemed to add to the Blackshirts’ image to have the short jersey with the tattered black t-shirt hanging out from underneath. But hey, leave it to the NCAA to come up with yet another useless rule designed to take all the individuality out of the game.

Besides the big change that everybody (including me) seems to have hated when we went to the wide stripes and the all white road unis, there have been many other subtle changes.

Of course in the `60’s, with the increase of TV coverage, we had the awful white helmet with the LARGE black numbers instead of the “N.” I think I heard that they thought you could tell the players better on TV with the number on the helmet. Thankfully that didn’t last.

Then there were the high shoulder stripes of the `70’s.

Then the “N” on the sleeve in the early `80’s.

Then the they put the number back on the sleeve and added the “Huskers Winning Tradition” patch high on the left chest.

There have been changes like adding an oval with a roman numerals “XII” at the bottom of the collar on the front of the 1996 Jerseys. At other times there had been an Adidas logo in the same place and “Nebraska” printed above the numbers on the chest in small letters.

The pants have gone from two red stripes down the pants to simple white pants with only a red “N” just below the belt line on one side and the Adidas logo on the other side, to the bold red stripe, back to the white with the “N” and Adidas logo, and last year back to the two red stripes.

They changed the “Huskers Winning Tradition” from a grey script “Huskers” across the middle on a fully embroidered patch, to a sewn on patch with an “N” that matches the helmet and black “Nebraska Football A Winning Tradition” around the outside of the patch. To the last couple of years having the patch for the team captain bear a “C” rather than the “N” (that is another thing I don’t really like).

One of the biggest changes, and one that still kinda pisses me off is when they went from the Jersey that was cropped just above the belt line, to the one that is tucked in. Of course that one was not the Huskers’ fault. That was an edict sent down by that piece of crap NCAA. At the same time they said that if any college football player wanted to wear gloves they had to be gray. It seemed to add to the Blackshirts’ image to have the short jersey with the tattered black t-shirt hanging out from underneath. But hey, leave it to the NCAA to come up with yet another useless rule designed to take all the individuality out of the game.

AMEN!!!!!!

I realize that many of the people going against this idea are probly the same people that thought a black-out of the student section for the UT game would be a bad thing to do. I thought it was cool, and imaginative of the students to try, especially because it was Corey who suggested it in honor of the blackshirts.

Now, i remember the backlash of '02 with the stripes, and I wasnt a big fan. However, I wouldnt mind seeing Nebraska have the best designers at Adidas add some black accents JUST TO SEE WHAT THEY COME UP WITH. I'm not saying they should implement the changes, but simply see what kind of ideas they have. But they'd have to understand a few rules:

1) No f***ing with the N on the helmet. This should never be touched.

2) The base colors should be scarlet and cream. Nothing extreme.

I just want to see what they'd look like. Then take the designs to the players and coaching staff, as well as some former players, and see what they say. THEN make a decision on whether to actually use them in a couple games. Something similar to Notre Dame's green jerseys that they only break out once in a while (although they usually lose every time when wearing those).