Update on Patrick, Wilson, Lucky and Glenn

Kind of...at the end of this article.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=2343105

NU Football: Callahan pleased to talk shop

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

After discussing roughly two-dozen diagrammed plays, Nebraska coach Bill Callahan turned from the overhead projector and, with his voice rising, enthusiastically said: "Now let's hit the film."

Callahan clearly was into it Tuesday night as he spoke to the Metro Football Coaches Association.

"He absolutely loves it," said Tim Cassidy, NU's associate athletic director for football. "What he enjoys most is the X's and O's and the teaching. This is his environment."

Callahan gave a 1-hour, 20-minute presentation on red-zone passing during the Metro Coaches Association's monthly meeting at DJ's Dugout. In addition to the diagrams and film, Callahan discussed how the Huskers worked red-zone offense into practices and game plans.

Once finished, Callahan told nearly 125 members that he appreciated the opportunity to speak and that "I absolutely love talking ball."

Callahan chatted for about 20 minutes before leaving. Earlier, he had spent 45 minutes doing a mini-clinic for several Omaha-area coaches before the meeting.

"I love doing this," Callahan said in an interview. "It's easy, because it's what you do and love. To come out and share my knowledge of the game and our knowledge of the game with the Metro coaches, there's not a better way of giving back to these guys.

"If it's the littlest thing that you can lend to their program, or help them with to become a better football team, I feel good about it. So I hope they get something out of tonight's speech."

Callahan said it was something he would be open to doing on an annual basis. He said he also looked forward to seeing Nebraska high school staffs at the Huskers' spring coaches clinic on March 30 and 31, which will include an appearance by New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton.

"I know Coach Callahan had to adjust his schedule to be here, so I'm very appreciative of the fact that he moved some things because he really wanted to get here tonight," Omaha North coach Larry Martin said.

The association changed its own schedule and format to accommodate Callahan and is set to bring in Iowa State coach Gene Chizik next month. Martin said Callahan's appearance bumped attendance for the Metro Coaches Association meeting by about 50 participants.

"I could tell they were very appreciative," Martin said. "The room was packed. It just went well, above how I thought it was going to go, both by him and by the coaches.

"I think the coaches saw once again his passion, his love for the game of football and the state of Nebraska. It was just an awesome night."

• NU NOTES: Callahan wouldn't discuss the status of Chris Patrick, but said the starting offensive tackle is still with the Husker football team. As far as spring practice, Callahan said: "We're evaluating that situation right now." . . . I-back Kenny Wilson, recovering from a knee infection, is now definitely out for spring practice and has one surgical procedure remaining. It's still possible that I-back Cody Glenn (foot sprain) will be ready when spring drills start March 21. . . . Callahan said I-back Marlon Lucky has "been doing great" since rejoining winter conditioning two weeks ago. Lucky was hospitalized for four days in mid-February following an unspecified medical emergency.

Does this end the talk that Lucky won't see the field ever again? I go around boards on the internet and from what we all hear he is perfectly fine and well now...but still people like to post on boards stuff like, "Lucky will probably never see the field again for us" - crap like that. Unless we have been lied to this whole time, I don't think that should even be considered.

Does this end the talk that Lucky won't see the field ever again? I go around boards on the internet and from what we all hear he is perfectly fine and well now...but still people like to post on boards stuff like, "Lucky will probably never see the field again for us" - crap like that. Unless we have been lied to this whole time, I don't think that should even be considered.

I've heard more about Kenny Wilson not seeing again for us, I really haven't heard much of that said about Lucky since like the 2nd week after the incident.

Maybe those people should read the article a little closer. After all it does say he returned to winter conditioning. I may not be the brightest man, but that sounds like he IS back.

I do have some information concerning both Lucky and Wilson.

On Lucky, he was back conditioning with the team a week after being admitted to the hospital. And I know it's still not 100% confirmed (or at least I haven't read anything stating facts of what happened) but a person on the inside I talked to informed me that my autographed photo of Lucky was still OK to proudly hang on my wall.

On Wilson, he's having another surgery in a week and the doctors have said he probably won't be able to run again until late May or early June, but the person I talked to who is close to him said late June or July is the thought right now.