SportsCenter Cold Hard Facts

ESPN Sportscenter just did the Cold Hard Facts section and started it with Nebraska and how people laughed when we hired BC to bring a WCO but how now we will have people laughing and Kirk Herbstreit said if we can develop a young DL we will be in the thick of things... I know press means nothing now as far as how successful we will really be, but we are atleast on the map now! We havent been this talked about in Spring in atleast 5 years as serious contenders. I also think the more press we get now and if we actually play well and everything will help us in polls and things so people around the nation dont think we are a fluke.

Anyways just thought it was cool try catching it on SportsCenter

Actually that is really cool, and if Herbstreit can say that about us he must really mean it. I know that must have been painful for him to say something like that. However I really think that is true. We have all the pieces together finally. An experienced, athletic, big, strong o-line. We have a plethora of tall, speedy, athletic receivers. An all around running back and a big bull of a back (maybe two). We have a potential first round quarterback. We have linebackers who can run and hit (I am counting Octavian bc there is still hope). Last but not least we have DEPTH in the secondary. We have Bowman back and that gives us a tall corner who will line up against their best receiver every play. We have potentially five corners who can play this coming year, counting West (the coaches had very good things to say about him before he got hurt). We will have an intense group of safetys including all world recruit, Larry Asante, along with Green and Culbert. The only thing in doubt is our d-line bc they are inexperienced. They are all talented and highly recruited, just no experience due to the fact that they were all playing behind very good d-linemen the last couple of years. Im telling you this is our year.

Its great the talking heads are talking about us as a contender but until we get through the spring and summer training without any major incidents its meaningless. If they are still saying these things in August than a lot more people will take notice. - Of course I'm still in cautious optimism mode after last year as we were saying most of these same great things last year right before spring and an injury or two later and we were taken down more than a peg. (and thats not a Grixby joke.. though it probably could be :))

I really think they should let Keller wear a green jersey for the most of spring ball and probably most of fall ball. Let him get hit enough so he remembers what it feels like, but not enough to let him know what it was like to be Taylor. I trust they will be smart with him. If he goes down IMO, my national title hopes go from hopeful to non existant. Nothing against any of the other quarterbacks, I just dont think they have what it takes to get us there, IMO Keller does. None of the other ones have what it takes YET.

As weird as it seems I think we are kinda becoming one of ESPNs favorite to talk about for this 07 season, they have talked about us a lot and with Sam Keller its a big story to follow that ESPN seems to be blowing up and giving attention. ESPN might actually like us this year possibly because they know we have the talent to be a big time team so they are getting on the wagon now, but the minute we struggle they will be off it in a second. We go 3-0 this year and we become a big deal in College Football but everyone here already knows that.

I'm not worried about Keller at all, he will be protected. Its the flukes like the Bowman injury last year that worry me. I don't even want to think about what the season would be like if Bowman goes back down or if Purify goes down before the season.

As far as ESPN, I guess after their golden children (Notre Dame and USC) kinda made em look like idiots last year, they decided that if they jump on their redheaded stepchild's bandwagon this year they might gain some credibility back with the "Smart" sports fans that are able to look past the gold helmets and hollywood groupies and notice that the media darlings aren't as great as ESPN wants them to be.

If we somehow manage getting past our first three games 3-0, its not a stretch to say that we will be 8-0 going into the texas game. There is only one more game on the road and it is against missouri but its not impossible. If this happens we will definately be in the top five and possibly be rated higher than texas. With our confidence high and knowing what is at stake we might just knock them off, thus setting the scene for an undefeated season! I know its a stretch-but it could happen.