'95 husker questions

Well I am not sure who that guy is but he doesnt know what he is talking about IMO. He has the 98 Tennessee team second? He doesnt even have the 01 miami, the 04, or 05 usc teams in the top ten I believe, and he has the 95 huskers behind the 94 huskers, still pretty far down the list. This might be the most inaccurate list I have ever seen.

I still remember the "Game of the Century" when I was 11...Either Oklahoma or Nebraska could've won that one..The Winner is the "best of all time..The Looser (by 4?) is number 93?

At least he has the '94 Penn State & '97 Michigan ranked behind the Nebraska teams of those years.

Still...Only 8 Husker teams in the top 200?

Where's he getting this?

Ya thats more than likely why he made it the way he did. We could very easily have six of the top ten teams ever, but who would want to read that? I also think he could have put every husker team from 93-99 somewhere on the list and it would have been pretty accurate, but again, who wants to read that? Besides husker fans that is.

The Billingsley poll is a long standing statistical analysis, similar to Sagarin. "He" didn't place teams based on opinion or who would want to read what. It's just a statistical analysis. Here:

http://www.cfrc.com/Archives/In_Search_of.htm

A little explanation. It's been surprisingly accurate, probably more so then all of the others over such a long period (part of the reason it's been around for about 40 years). Also, it, along with Sagarin, and a couple others, make up the "computer" polls of the BCS.

The Billingsley poll is a long standing statistical analysis, similar to Sagarin. "He" didn't place teams based on opinion or who would want to read what. It's just a statistical analysis. Here:

http://www.cfrc.com/Archives/In_Search_of.htm

A little explanation. It's been surprisingly accurate, probably more so then all of the others over such a long period (part of the reason it's been around for about 40 years). Also, it, along with Sagarin, and a couple others, make up the "computer" polls of the BCS.

The only problem with statistical analysis is that there are some things that are seldom considered. Most of those computer type rankings will (and I guess in most cases should) take into account stats like defensive points allowed, yards allowed etc. I agree that for a team to be considered the best it should have a great defense. But what is seldom considered is that the `95 Huskers’ defense gave up a lot of their total yardage and points in the second half of games when the outcome had long been decided and the starters were on the sideline resting up for the next game. Remember, the closest game that season was the Washington State game and the Huskers won that by two touchdowns. I think the `71 team also only had the one close game with OU but it just seems that the offense was so dominant in `95 that the defensive numbers look worse than they should have. I would like to see some way for the computer to factor in “points that matter” for the defense. It would be difficult and would add subjectivity to something that is meant to be purely objective, but I still think it would make for a more accurate poll.

Oh, I agree. I wasn't trying to argue the merits of Billingsley over the AP or something. I just wanted to let everyone know that this wasn't some guy's ranking. I also have always wondered why points given up by a second team defense count the same as those given up by first team defenses, but hey, look at that list. How accurate do you really think it is?