Jones and Murrillo??

sure Shanle is gone, so what the hell does that mean? i will say it again, the reality is the db's are virtually all untested against big time receivers, with the exception of grix. how can anyone say we are deeper and we have better talent, when there hasn't been a damn snap yet? these guys are still learning how to play their positions and sometimes agressive play can get you burned real quick. until we see these guys play a couple games, it would be ludicrous to think we will be exponentially better this year, especially with a proven front 4 being gone. i think (and hope i am wrong) that this defense is going to get torched early in the year. our proven run stoppers are gone as well now and that will likely make the linebackers play tighter coverage for run support. unfortunately this is a valid concern when you stop and think about it.

i will say it again, the reality is the db's are virtually all untested against big time receivers, with the exception of grix.

Grixby, Jones, and Green started every game last year (or close to it). I'll grant that Green is moving positions, but he also started about 8 games at CB the year before. So we look to have plenty of experience. The real questions about the secondary (IMO):

Will the experience translate into better play?

Will the inexperienced players move into bigger roles or even start?

Will we stay healthy or have more injuries?

Will we have a pass rush to help the secondary?

huskers1 Posted Today, 01:59 PM

Ya our safety play was a HUGE part of the problem last year. Just getting Shanle out of there alone will make our secondary that much better, and fill in Asante or Thenarse and that is five times better. Something I dont understand is why Thenarse got moved to safety this year. Last year we had a former 8 man high school all star playing and they keep him at corner. I realize they needed him there for depth issues, but wouldnt it now make sense to move him back to corner?

There is nothing wrong with 8 man football...just look at the top DE in the draft this year, Gaines Adams was an 8 man football stud....

As for the secondary, i thought i was right about jones and bowman, lets just hope that murrillo takes this opportunity and runs with it....and with asante and thenarse playing SS and Green FS (where he should have been last year) our corners will look a lot better.

15 practices < 3 full years

how many players in the final four will have years of experience over greg oden? how many of them are better players?

apples and oranges.

not at all. if murrillo is a better player, those years of experience mean nothing, provided that he knows what he knows the D scheme. I'm not saying murrilo IS a better player, but just throwing out someone experience without taking to account the other talent is silly.

If one player getting hurt is going to destroy the season, than that doesn't say much about the players that have been brought in the last couple of years. The only place for that to happen would be at q/b. The d-line does have some good experience. Most all played more than a little last year. They know the play book and how to play their positions. After last years problems with our d/b coverage, I would think Coz will not make the same mistakes trying to hide that weakness when everyone we play already knows about it. Bowman or no Bowman the coaches probably had already addressed that problem.

Keeping our defense off the field will go along way to determining what kind of year we will have. The offense.............

GBR!!!

If one player getting hurt is going to destroy the season, than that doesn't say much about the players that have been brought in the last couple of years. The only place for that to happen would be at q/b. The d-line does have some good experience. Most all played more than a little last year. They know the play book and how to play their positions. After last years problems with our d/b coverage, I would think Coz will not make the same mistakes trying to hide that weakness when everyone we play already knows about it. Bowman or no Bowman the coaches probably had already addressed that problem.

Keeping our defense off the field will go along way to determining what kind of year we will have. The offense.............

GBR!!!

Last season was a bit unusual because Bowman's injury occured right before the season started. But I for one would have liked to have seen Coz and Elmo our develop defensive back talent quicker last season. The players have been brought in and the talent is here, it's just Coz and Elmo didn't really utilize the new guys until their feet were held to the fire last season. Why it took so long to get these guys on the field I don't know. I realize new guys will screw up and make mistakes. But the only way to learn is to get on the field.

Your other comment about keeping our defense off the field is interesting. And it I think it's valid in regards to our season last year. Our defensive talent was developed poorly last season and that's on our coaches shoulders. But this season our offense will be so efficient we will score quicker and more often due to Keller's ability to go vertical. The result will be far more points, far quicker. So our defense will need to step up. We have a lot of talent on defense and there will be no excuses this season. If our D doesn't perform we may see some changes at the end of the year.

how many players in the final four will have years of experience over greg oden? how many of them are better players?

apples and oranges.

not at all. if murrillo is a better player, those years of experience mean nothing, provided that he knows what he knows the D scheme. I'm not saying murrilo IS a better player, but just throwing out someone experience without taking to account the other talent is silly.

:lol: kk comparing basketball to football is apples to oranges.

and a lot of the best football players period werent the most athletically gifted, they were smart, experienced players who knew what was going on and would put themselves in the best position to make a play.

damned shiny new toy syndrome.

apples and oranges.

:lol: kk comparing basketball to football is apples to oranges.

and a lot of the best football players period werent the most athletically gifted, they were smart, experienced players who knew what was going on and would put themselves in the best position to make a play.

damned shiny new toy syndrome.

Exactly.

Shiny. New. Toy.

I just don't want people to put unrealistic expectations on Armando. Kind of sets him up for failure if he doesn't meet the excessive expectations. I think he will be a good player and could be a starter in 08, definitely.