Big 12 doesn't get respect

I wont go too much into who has the best conference, but I'll say this: Big 10 is over-rated (too top heavy), Big East is the same as the Big 10 (can't say Big 11 cause the Big XII has it patented), Pac-10 is a one man show, Big XII has looked weak the past couple of years (Texas was the only power to win a bowl, barely) and the SEC seems to beat up lesser opponents and then itself.

It always has been and always will be an East AND West coast bias. In between the Mississippi and Rockies, we're all just a bunch of fat, slow, retarded idiots that don't have a clue on how to play football (unless your Oklahoma, which everyone seems to love).

I could care less how the media or everyone else portrays the Big 12, just as long as the Huskers take care of business each and every Saturday.

Hey Husker Nation,

I have been reading various NU blogs for several weeks, and I'm hearing a lot of pain. As a Trojan I want to remind you we were down and out for about 12 years before Pete Carroll turned things around. Look at our record the past 5 years and we look great. But I remember the 1991 USC season. We finished 3-8 and lost to Memphis State! You talk about being in the dumps. But guys, Nebraska is a school of champions. You are a class act. When Pete Carroll came, signs started appearing in the stands, "we believe". You have to keep the faith, you are not that far away from the glory years like the past. I remember wondering if we would every get back to the top, now I almost take it for granted. I have two kids who graduated from SC. The oldest never saw USC beat UCLA, the youngest never saw USC lose to UCLA. Things can happen that fast when you have the right combination of talent and coaching. You are almost there. Don't get negative on yourselves. Another motto SC has is "Living the Dream". Some of you aren't living the dream, you're sleep walking. Besides USC, I have been a distance fan of Nebraska and Alabama my whole life. It pains me to hear what I am hearing. I look at the banner at the top of this page and I see 43 bowl games, 92 All-Americans, 5 national titles, and 48 conference titles, and I don't know how many Heismans. You've been there before, you will be there again. Last year I read where two PAC-10 players from different schools said something to the effect that they were looking forward to the SC game because USC was the standard to measure your self. Well I'm telling you, we are looking forward to the Nebraska game as a standard of measure. That "N" on that helment means something, and you had better believe when the cardinal and gold show up in Lincoln Sept 15th they will be aware of who you are. Thats respect.

Hey Husker Nation,

I have been reading various NU blogs for several weeks, and I'm hearing a lot of pain. As a Trojan I want to remind you we were down and out for about 12 years before Pete Carroll turned things around. Look at our record the past 5 years and we look great. But I remember the 1991 USC season. We finished 3-8 and lost to Memphis State! You talk about being in the dumps. But guys, Nebraska is a school of champions. You are a class act. When Pete Carroll came, signs started appearing in the stands, "we believe". You have to keep the faith, you are not that far away from the glory years like the past. I remember wondering if we would every get back to the top, now I almost take it for granted. I have two kids who graduated from SC. The oldest never saw USC beat UCLA, the youngest never saw USC lose to UCLA. Things can happen that fast when you have the right combination of talent and coaching. You are almost there. Don't get negative on yourselves. Another motto SC has is "Living the Dream". Some of you aren't living the dream, you're sleep walking. Besides USC, I have been a distance fan of Nebraska and Alabama my whole life. It pains me to hear what I am hearing. I look at the banner at the top of this page and I see 43 bowl games, 92 All-Americans, 5 national titles, and 48 conference titles, and I don't know how many Heismans. You've been there before, you will be there again. Last year I read where two PAC-10 players from different schools said something to the effect that they were looking forward to the SC game because USC was the standard to measure your self. Well I'm telling you, we are looking forward to the Nebraska game as a standard of measure. That "N" on that helment means something, and you had better believe when the cardinal and gold show up in Lincoln Sept 15th they will be aware of who you are. Thats respect.

Great post :bonez

I could care less how the media or everyone else portrays the Big 12, just as long as the Huskers take care of business each and every Saturday.

Hey Husker Nation,

Well thank you sir for the opinion of an "outsider", so to speak, and thanks for taking the time to share your insight with the board.

I was at the game last year in SoCal, and the majority of SC fans there were respectable, knowledgeable individuals that remembered the Huskers of old. There were some young, disrespectful punks as well but I've seen that from Husker fans in Lincoln also. It was a great trip and though the outcome was painful I still had a great time.

Will you be here for the game this fall?

Hey Husker Nation,

Thanks for the props it's going to be a great game come September!!!! :bonez:bonez:bonez

The SEC has LSU, Florida, Auburn Arkansas, Tennessee and Georgia in the top 20 and has Bama and South Carolina on the rise and decent teams at the bottom as well and are clearly the top conference.

The Pac 10 has USC and Cal in the top 20 but Oregon, Oregon State and UCLA can play with anyone and other than Stanford the 3rd tier can compete with almost any 2nd and 3rd tier team in the country.

The Big 12 has Texas, OU and NU in the top 20 and the next tier teams of Missouri, A&M and OSU are at or better than most other second tier teams in other conferences KSU is decent but Colorado, Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State are very mediocre.

The ACC only has VT in the top 20, which in my opinion isn't enough. Georga Tech deserves to be in there as well and BC, Wake Maryland, Virginia and Clemson are all quality teams, FSU and Miami are still decent and should be competitive again quickly, however the bottom tier is really weak. I put them higher than the Big 10 just for the simple fact that, other than FSU and Miami last season, for the most part these teams seem to perform at or above where they should whereas the Big 10 teams seem to constantly under perform.

The Big 10 with OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State in the top 20 with Iowa and Minnesota in the 2nd tier, Purdue and Indiana have some talent however the back end is VERY weak.

The Big East has Louisville, West Virginia and Rutgers in the top 20, but there really is nothing else in the conference.

Hey Husker Nation,

Thanks for the props it's going to be a great game come September!!!! :bonez:bonez:bonez

:yeah You gave me goosebumps...I can't wait for September. I'm thinking about putting myself in a beer coma and hopefully I wake up in time...

From my time spent in MN, Big 11 country, there is a lot of Big 11 uppity-ness. Big 11 country thinks, without question, that the big 11 is by far the best conference in the country. And there is a definite media bias towards that conference for whatever reason. Personally I think it is because that conference probably has the biggest markets. Look at the popualtions of the states that big 11 teams are in. Every state has a lot of population.

Over 55% of the NATION'S population is within a day's drive (600 mi.) of Columbus, Ohio.

As a result, I think the media covers it more extensively because that conference matters to the most people. Look at the states where the Big 12 is located, not nearly as big of a market. Makes sense to me, so that's the argument I'm sticking with!

I do not think that there is any doubt that the Big 12 is #2 best conference right now, but usually #3 behind the SEC and ACC. I think year in year out, you have SEC, ACC, Big 12, and then Big and Pac 10 conferences battling it out for the cellar. however, right now I think the Big 12 south is about as good a division in football as you will find. Bethel, you named 5 teams that nobody would probably want on their schedule. The Big 12 is always pooped on by the media all year long, and come bowl season, the Big 12 usually does pretty good.

tarheel trojan,

that's a pretty sweet post. Thanks for the love. One thing though that SC will always have that NU will probably never have is the local talent base to recruit from. No matter how good we are we will always hav et oconvince kids to COME TO Nebraska and not to stay here. This makes it that much more difficult for us to get back to the top, when we slide off. We are also located in Lincoln, Nebraska. A great place to live and raise a family, but a tough place to recruit some 17 year old athlete to.

So I think, it's going to be a tougher road to hoe to get back to the top for NU than it was for SC. I mean the talent for the most part has always been there at SC, even before Carroll. Ever heard of a QB named Palmer? That's quite a bit better starting block than Dailey. That's just one example of many.

have fun if you come to the game this year. Good luck finding tickets.

tarheel trojan,

that's a pretty sweet post. Thanks for the love. One thing though that SC will always have that NU will probably never have is the local talent base to recruit from. No matter how good we are we will always hav et oconvince kids to COME TO Nebraska and not to stay here. This makes it that much more difficult for us to get back to the top, when we slide off. We are also located in Lincoln, Nebraska. A great place to live and raise a family, but a tough place to recruit some 17 year old athlete to.

So I think, it's going to be a tougher road to hoe to get back to the top for NU than it was for SC. I mean the talent for the most part has always been there at SC, even before Carroll. Ever heard of a QB named Palmer? That's quite a bit better starting block than Dailey. That's just one example of many.

have fun if you come to the game this year. Good luck finding tickets.

CowboyBob,

Thanks, I really mean it. I've looked at SC websites about tickets and the prices are just out of reach for me. Some day I will get the see the Big Red play in Lincoln.

You bring up a very good valid point. California, Texas, Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania have the talent, so there is an instate advantage for those colleges. However, all those states produce more quality recruits than the state schools can matriculate. The excess numbers (not necessary less talented) go elsewhere. Nebraska is not that far from Texas, so I would go after that pool of talent. I was stationed in Fort Riley, Kansas for 6 months so I am familiar with your area. I have never been to Nebraska but I think geographically and culturally they are similar (stick with me here I don't want to insult anyone or stir up some local stuff I am not aware of). But there are some kids who want to stay closer to home, and some kids who are intimidated by big city programs like USC. I'm a North Carolina country boy and I understand that. Yes, I have heard Nebraska is a great place to raise a family (actually I am considering retiring there just because of that down home flavor with big time college sports) I'm sure there are recruits who cold be "sold" on that easily. You would have to "sell" them, however. Even with that said, your main point is the time to turn around will take longer. However, if you have read the book, "Tipping Point", its been documented that the sudden change for the better can happen rapidly despite the factors you mention. So don't resign yourself to a long time table. I would like nothing better than to see us play you guys with us ranked #1 (I had to pick us first, you know the loyalty stuff and all), and you guys #2, and scared to death if we didn't play our best game we would be run out of the stadium. I don't see why that couldn't happen soon. Besides, every time I go back to LA, I enjoy it less and less. Except for the SC campus, I really don't enjoy being there that much and I find myself asking myself, why would any one want to live here. Maybe its my age, but I can't help but think that some great talent out there thinks the same thing. Many people think of LA and see of Manns Chinese Theater, Hollywood, Disneyland, Movies, Georgeous weather (you wouldn't believe winter there) etc and go all wild eyed. Other people think of LA and see Smog, The Land of the Fruits, Nuts, & Flakes, Gridlock Traffic, and just plain Weird. I think the negatives of LA would offset the positives if you sold NU AND Linclon as a package deal. SC campus is beautiful, but just outside its gates is SouthCentral LA! Don't get me wrong, I love the place, but there are ways to position yourself for the kid who isn't interested in LA LA land. Thanks for your reply. Hope you go to the game and enjoy yourself Sept. 15h.

Fight On!

TarheelTrojan

And there is a definite media bias towards that conference for whatever reason.

I think one of the big factors behind the bias is television coverage. The Big Ten and the SEC completely outworked the Big 12 in getting television contracts. This is also often given as reason for the Pac 10 not getting respect, late games on crappy channels.

Meanwhile, even fewer games may be shown:

League seeking to fill TV void

With regional coverage, I may only be able to see one or two Nebraska games here. I guess I can look forward to more exciting match ups like Illinois v. Indiana: An intriguing matchup between a recruiter who can't coach and a coach who couldn't get anyone to come to his school even if he could recruit.