Questions about our Defense

My buddy and I were talking about our defense last night. We have differing opinions. What are your thoughts?

D-line last year was the strenght of the Nebraska Defense.

But we have some serious holes to fill.

How will the D-line look this year?

Linebackers: Some great starters, but not much depth.

Thoughts on linebackers this year?

Backfield: Lastyear was very suspect, and at times downright painful.

Did we get our guys to help this blaring deficit, and are the guys mature or are we still one year away?

Overall, how will the defense look this year?

DLine: As they were our BEST players on defense, they weren't our strength. Mainly because they weren't used in a manner to become a great strength for the team. Too often (especially early) we dropped the ends off in coverage to "help" with our DBs. But I said all season, if you don't pressure the QB, nothing is going to matter in terms of helping the DBs. You could drop all 11 guys and it wouldn't matter. You have to pressure the QB with ALL FOUR lineman at least. An errant throw is always the worst case scenario from rushing your line and getting near the QB. So this year? I actually think our dline will play much better than we are anticipating. We have GREAT talents in Barry Turner and Suh (I'm not going to try and spell his first name haha). Suh is just an unbelievably powerful DT and Turner just knows how to get to the QB and is progressing quite well. The other two spots, we'll have to see how things pan out over the spring. But I don't see our Dline being a big liability like it came off as, after losing 4 starters.

Linebackers: We do have GREAT starters at linebacker, but you're right, depth is becoming somewhat of an issue. We have Blake Lawrence coming in as a freshman and could very well make an impact, more than Dillard his freshman year. But with Octavien (if he stays healthy and in shape), Ruud, and a now healthy McKeon...we will have one of the better linebacking corps in the Big XII. GREAT experience within those 3 guys, McKeon is a VERY solid MLB, Ruud has natural abilities, and Octavien has natural insticts...you can't coach that. They should be our strongest unit this year. At least I believe so.

DBs: I'm still a little worried, and it has NOTHING to do with Bowman being out again. It has everything to do with the schemes we ran last season. Over compensation for all our DBs (as done by Elmo and Coz), hurt them more than we realize. They were rarely put into position to make plays and far too often lined up up to 10 yards off the receiver. With some of the receivers we faced last year, and will face this year...that is a NO NO. However, we will have significantly better safety play this season. We have Green, Thenarse, Murillo, Asante, and even Culbert who could all play safety. As they all won't, some will move to CB or stay at CB...we have great talent in the safety department. That, will help our corners tremendously in coverage with the ability to help cover "over the top" especially for our very physical but short guys like Cortney Grixby.

Overall: We will have a better defense than we had last season. With the help of some formidable lineman replacements, an extremelly experienced linebacking corps, and better safety play (for help with corners) our defense will be quite improved. I feel good about this unit. Lots of hard nosed, hard hitting, guys...WITH SMARTS.

My buddy and I were talking about our defense last night. We have differing opinions. What are your thoughts?

Did we get our guys to help this blaring deficit, and are the guys mature or are we still one year away?

The D-line is the most obvious area of concern due to the fact that every one of the guys on last year's unit are now in NFL camps. While I understand the concern of Husker nation, I don't think we are in as bad of shape as we initially thought. Suh will be a force on the interior, and in the right system Turner can return to his freshmen-level production when he was a freshmen all-american and had 6 sacks in limited duty. 6 sacks might not seem like a lot, but extrapolate over an entire season and he has all big-12 potential. In addition to these two talented performers, we have unproven but extremely gifted (at least physically) Pierre Allen and Zach Potter competing for the other d-end position. I'm not going to say they are dominant, but the tools are there for them to perform well. On the interior with Suh we have several options depending on the scheme we are running. Steinkuhler, talented JUCO transfer Shukree Barfield, and former H.S. All American Craig Roark should all compete for time.

I know it's tough to lose an entire defensive line, I think that we are going to do just fine at the LOS, as long as Cosgrove utilizes his weapons with the right schemes.

Some people have compared the linebacker and wide reciever positions due to the amount of talent each respective position group possesses. But as you note, the depth in the linebacking corps is lacking compared to the wideouts. I expect Octavien (IF HEALTHY!) to thrive at his "joker" position, where he should become a force coming off the edge as well as roaming sideline to sideline. When he is healthy, he's an impact player, but let's hope nothing flares up and prevents him from playing. I'd like to see 50 plus tackles with 6 or 7 sacks from him. I realize that's a high total, but from that position, similar to what Demorrio Williams was doing when he was here, Octavien could wreak havoc on opposing offenses. I expect McKeon to rebound after an injury-hampered junior campaign, he's going to be a force this year. The depth is a cause for concern, but I think Dillard will stay healthy and contribute a great deal this year, and I look for him to establish himself for a starting job next year. In addition to Phil, I think Covey could make some noise in spot duty.

Experience teaches a lot. At least that's what we are all hoping when it comes to Grixby and Green, guys who had a tough season last year when they were frequently abused by opposing receivers. That said, I dont think it helped Grixby at all having guys like Shanle behind him, and he'll benefit from having a more physical presence behind him like Asante and perhaps Thenarse (depending on where he is after camp, S or CB). Also, dont sleep on Bryan Wilson. He impressed a lot of people with his play during spring ball, and the senior could get significant playing time come fall. People forget, but he was one of the top 20 DBs in the country coming out of high school. Lastly, with some good luck we might even get Bowman back in time for the season (maybe), so we might not be as bad off as we thought. I think an increased presence from the safeties will go a long way in preventing being shredded like we were last year in several games.

Overall, I think the talent is there for us to make a return to a top-35 defense, which with our offense should be enough to take us back to the Big 12 title game and possibly a BCS bowl. And we shouldn't rule out them surprising some people and being dominant for some stretches, this is a unit that has a ton of talent, and if they mesh and are enabled by Cosgrove to make plays, we could see some fireworks this year. Some might see all of this as optimistic, but 'tis the season for hope.

The D - line as acouple guys who should be all conference caliber, and several other young guys who, assuming they keep thier head in the game and play to thier abilites(I am looking in Potter's direction), should be solid performers. Suh is going to be a nightmare for opposing teams. Just look at what he did to KSU last year. Turner is a pure speed rusher who should keep the QBs uncomfortable. The other end and tackle possitons are wide open with several players competing for the jobs. This alone should yeild some good results.

At LB we have 5 really good guys. As long as they stay healthy, we should have one of the best Linebacking corps in the conference. What worries me is injuries, or not getting up enough this year so we can get the young kids in for some live snaps for next year when we lose 4 of the 5.

As for the secondary, I was very confident in it till Bowman injured his knee. Now I am a bit more concerned. Jones should be better than he was most of the season last year, and he did improve as it went on. Grixby is still a liability however. Green I dont know what to think of. I dont know how much of it is he wasnt playing well, or the simply awful play of Shanle made him look worse. I am really excited about Asante though. The physical presence he will bring to the secondary should make the whole thing improve. I still think this is the weak link in the defense though.

I have some questions about our defense but here are some stats that raised alarm bells...comparing 2003(Pelini), 2005 (NCAA 1st in sacks), 2006

Tackles For Loss

'03: 95

'05: 140

'06: 105

Sacks

'03: 27

'05: 50

'06: 31

Takeaways

'03: 47 (Ints: 32, Fum Rec: 15)

'05: 21 (Ints: 13, Fum Rec: 9)

'06: 25 (Ints: 12, Fum Rec: 13)

what's better in your minds, getting in the backfield to get sacks, or using that as a tool for takeaways?

sacks or takeaways? i'd rather have more possessions quite frankly.

• 2 weeks later...

I would really like to know if Octavian is over his 1/2 quarter of fame. Will he come to play like an animal. Can he come into camp in shape, with a chip on his shoulder?

wow, huskerjack23 i was reading this post and i was thinking exactly what you ended up writing. i think we have the players to get after people. with the experience at LB being able to pressure the offense and enough talent up front to contain the run i think turnovers are going to fuel or fammish the blackshirts this year. i don't see us being able to stand up to 9-12 play drives without the likes of Carriker, Moore, etc...but! we do have a chance to fly around with Asante, Oc, and Turner, etc...so imo the experience (not yet depth) of the LBs and the talent up front can overcome a small defeciency at DB.

I just want to see how our secondary does because that was such a horrible spot for us last season. The defensive line may be a little bit of a concern just because of the unknown, but some of those guys got significant playing time last season so they should be able to step up. Linebackers should be of no concern.

wow, we have no depth at DB positions or did i miss something?

armistead, again i think a positive spin is great, but man, we just don't have the overall experience or depth at D to be feeling all giddy about things, it just isn't there. doesn't mean we can't be good or develop some guys, but right now things are not absolutely solid, by any stretch.

wow, we have no depth at DB positions or did i miss something?

armistead, again i think a positive spin is great, but man, we just don't have the overall experience or depth at D to be feeling all giddy about things, it just isn't there. doesn't mean we can't be good or develop some guys, but right now things are not absolutely solid, by any stretch.

:yeah I would agree with Hunter. We have some talented players on the depth chart but not all of them are ready to step right in and play a significant amount this upcoming year. Just look at last year. Jones was thrown right into the fire and was probally not ready for it. Thenarse and Culbert each had to be slowly mixed in with the defense. I see some of the newcomers ready to play right away but not all of them will be ready from the start.