S C.J. Cox

Player: C.J. Cox

Hometown: Garland, TX

Position: Safety

Height: 5’11”

Weight: 192

40 time: 4.61

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, Fresno State, Rice, New Mexico

Favorites: commited to UNLV

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Big Red Report:

Assessing the talent:

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker:

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=645409

C.J. Cox, short for Chanton Jerrard Cox, is the 5-foot-11, 190-pound safety from North Garland High School in Garland, Texas. Cox finished his junior season with 81 tackles, two interceptions and three fumbles caused. He benches 230 pounds, squats 500 and has a 31-inch vertical jump.

"I'm a big hitter and can stop the run," Cox said. "I lock down on my zone and cover good. I play close to the line and am always looking for the big hit.

"I want to improve my foot speed and get my 40 time down from 4.6," he said. "I also want to improve my breaking to the ball and footwork."

Cox has offers from Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, Fresno State and Rice, but his favorite school is Oklahoma and the Sooners haven't offered yet.

"If Oklahoma offers me, I'll commit," Cox said. "I'd like to make my decision during the summer and I'm going to their camp so hopefully they'll offer. They said that they really want to see me in person and that coach Bob Stoops wants to evaluate me at their camp.

"Every since I was a little kid I loved Oklahoma," Cox said. "I loved watching them play and they were always playing in BCS bowls or for the national championship. I've been there before and I love the atmosphere. I just love how enthusiastic and loud it gets during the games. Everyone just has a lot of fun there."

Cox's parents also like the Sooners. "They really like their academics and how much academic support they have."

The Sooners lead big over Nebraska, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State and Louisville. The Huskers were the first school to offer Cox.

"Nebraska has been a powerhouse for a long time," he said. "They just know how to win. They have great tradition and it's one of those programs that everybody likes. I like how coach Bill Callahan has brought in an NFL-style defense and that really prepares the players well for the next level.

"I really want to play in a good environment and with coaches that help their players get better," Cox said. "I want to play with guys that are happy to be there and want to succeed."

He reports a 3.0 core GPA and is waiting on his May 5 SAT results.

My senior year of HS, I squatted 435 lbs. weighing about 175.

And that was after only about two months of training after a four-month layoff due to an injury.

I think 500 lbs for a healthy 190-lb kid is definitely doable.

Well, squatting with proper form is a different story. I just got done reading Diary of a Husker, and there are several lineman that can't squat 500 lbs with proper form. Dave Kolowski noted several guys that squatted a ton in high school, got in the weight room at NU and could squat maybe half of what they had before because they used poor form. I see it all the time at the gym, guys lifting a ton of weight with poor form. If he can squat 500 lbs with proper form, that is ridiculous.

the kid is sold on OU, so it really doesn't matter much, unless they pass on him.

:yeah Hopefully we can get some kind of edge on him. I wish more kids FROM Nebraska were as sold to come here as this kid from Texas is to go to OK, did that make sense?

A little. You got the point across but it took me a couple times to figure it out. :)