Major Culbert, RB in 07?

With Kenny Wilson's season ending injury, I worry about our RB depth. Lucky and Glenn are our only experienced RB's, and they have had battled injuries throughout their careers. I was impressed with Culbert at RB in the spring, which is why i'd like to see him stay there for the 07 season.

I think it will depend on so many variables that it is impossible to say at this point.

Will the D-backs be in good enough shape to get it done without him?

Will there be any more injuries?

Will Lucky and Glenn be full speed?

Will any of the incomming RBs be able to contribute emediately and learn the offense?

It is just too hard to say. With Lucky and Glenn having a history of injuries and Wilson's situation, I wouldn't be supprised to see him stay at back. The durability of all our RBs is a real concern. I don't know how good of a grasp Culbert has of the offense and the defense but, it may be a possiblility that he plays both ways in a "extra" support roll. I don't know but, I'm excited to see him show what he has.

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

GBR!

Lucky probably won't be 100% by Fall Camp, but should be by the time our first game rolls around...pending more injury isn't sustained during Fall Camp. Cody ran pretty darn well at the spring game, so I really don't see an issue with him at this point. So again, unless another injury or reinjury comes up during Fall Camp I don't forsee a problem concerning Glenn. Mendoza will see some time, but he will not start, he will probably be used as a kickoff returner more than anything with his break away speed, but at this point it's obviously all speculation. We also have Roy Helu coming into the mix, but I figure a redshirt for him, or maybe Mendoza and not Helu. We'll have to wait and see. As far as Culbert goes, I don't think we'll see him a whole lot. I think Callahan wants to probably give him back to the defense once fall camp arrives. We'll have more running backs to work with as our freshman will be in, so having another DB on our defense is NOT bad thing at all of course. Let alone he might even be big enough to provide depth at LB too.

But the first game, here's how my depth chart goes for our backfield.

QB - Sam Keller, Joey Ganz, Zac Lee*/Patrick Witt

RB - Marlon Lucky*/Cody Glenn, Marcus Mendoza/Roy Helu

FB - Thomas Lawson, Matt Senske, Andy Sand

*Pending injury status

Also I didn't include who would redshirt and who might.

Culbert will be in the backfield for the season, barring a miracle break thru by one of the freshmen. look, Glenn's foot is assed up and has been for months. Cally knows he can't depend on a healthy Glenn for the season. Lucky has durability issues as well, so we will need all the help we can muster to get through a whole season. i am hoping Castille can make an impact right away.

on top of this the defense, overall, lacks convincing experience and will have to play there asses off to make it through the season with less than 3 losses. sorry, this is not going to be easy, unless Keller and the receivers play way over their heads all season long.

i am hoping for the best, anything less than 3-4 losses will be a bonus.

I see Culbert remaining at running back for this season, for two reasons:

1. It's difficult in this day and age to get by with just two running backs. The players are so big and so strong, the hitting so fierce, that you have to anticipate that you'll need at least three backs ready to play. Even if Lucky and Glenn don't get injured, it's still a long season and the wear and tear can limit your effectiveness.

2. Culbert is the only candidate for the backfield - other than Glenn and Lucky, of course - that even has a hint of how to pick up a blitz, when he will be the "hot read", or a grasp of the terminology. While there are exceptions to every rule, I find it bordering on impossible for a freshman back to come in and be an every down player and be able to make all of the assignments that are required under the West Coast offense. The only way it happens is if there are no other backs available.

1. It's difficult in this day and age to get by with just two running backs. The players are so big and so strong, the hitting so fierce, that you have to anticipate that you'll need at least three backs ready to play. Even if Lucky and Glenn don't get injured, it's still a long season and the wear and tear can limit your effectiveness.

2. Culbert is the only candidate for the backfield - other than Glenn and Lucky, of course - that even has a hint of how to pick up a blitz, when he will be the "hot read", or a grasp of the terminology. While there are exceptions to every rule, I find it bordering on impossible for a freshman back to come in and be an every down player and be able to make all of the assignments that are required under the West Coast offense. The only way it happens is if there are no other backs available.

I agree. Everyone says that Castille will play right away, but there is too much to the offense besides runnig the ball. Mendoza will get the nod before anyone else because of the expierence he picked up in the fall. D-1 ball is just that much faster than the top highschool league, but the expierence to the younger guys will be huge this year.

I agree. Everyone says that Castille will play right away, but there is too much to the offense besides runnig the ball. Mendoza will get the nod before anyone else because of the expierence he picked up in the fall. D-1 ball is just that much faster than the top highschool league, but the expierence to the younger guys will be huge this year.

Running Back is the easiest position to learn in any offense. Blocking assignments will be the hardest part.

• 2 weeks later...

With Kenny Wilson's season ending injury, I worry about our RB depth. Lucky and Glenn are our only experienced RB's, and they have had battled injuries throughout their careers. I was impressed with Culbert at RB in the spring, which is why i'd like to see him stay there for the 07 season.

I really hope not. I just see him as a huge playmaker on defense. Something were sorely missing