Major Culbert, RB in 07?

I see Culbert remaining at running back for this season, for two reasons:

1. It's difficult in this day and age to get by with just two running backs. The players are so big and so strong, the hitting so fierce, that you have to anticipate that you'll need at least three backs ready to play. Even if Lucky and Glenn don't get injured, it's still a long season and the wear and tear can limit your effectiveness.

2. Culbert is the only candidate for the backfield - other than Glenn and Lucky, of course - that even has a hint of how to pick up a blitz, when he will be the "hot read", or a grasp of the terminology. While there are exceptions to every rule, I find it bordering on impossible for a freshman back to come in and be an every down player and be able to make all of the assignments that are required under the West Coast offense. The only way it happens is if there are no other backs available.

Nice assessment. I still think Mendoza will get a solid look, especially if there are any more problems at RB above him.

Eric, i don't think we or Major has much of a choice here. running back is extremely thin right now, he will be at that position for the year, unless we have more injuries in the DB area.

Wow...isn't this a problem NU isn't used to...I hate that players can leave school early to go pro. Do I blame them? Of course not, but it still sucks.

1. It's difficult in this day and age to get by with just two running backs. The players are so big and so strong, the hitting so fierce, that you have to anticipate that you'll need at least three backs ready to play. Even if Lucky and Glenn don't get injured, it's still a long season and the wear and tear can limit your effectiveness.

2. Culbert is the only candidate for the backfield - other than Glenn and Lucky, of course - that even has a hint of how to pick up a blitz, when he will be the "hot read", or a grasp of the terminology. While there are exceptions to every rule, I find it bordering on impossible for a freshman back to come in and be an every down player and be able to make all of the assignments that are required under the West Coast offense. The only way it happens is if there are no other backs available.

Nice assessment. I still think Mendoza will get a solid look, especially if there are any more problems at RB above him.

either him or Castille may see some "situational" playing time later in the season, probably out of necessity more than anything else. they just need to gain some positive yardage and give the starters a break once in awhile. hold on to the ball and move forward would be good, anything more would be a huge plus.

either him or Castille may see some "situational" playing time later in the season, probably out of necessity more than anything else. they just need to gain some positive yardage and give the starters a break once in awhile. hold on to the ball and move forward would be good, anything more would be a huge plus.

And it will be interesting to see how they do this, with such a tough schedule. If there are injuries, it will be a no-brainer, but if it is just to get some experience in late-game situations, then that could be more difficult.

HuskerRob i couldn't agree anymore. If either Glenn or Lucky get injured, you can't depend on a freshman 3rd stringer to carry 1/3 of the teams carries. You can never have too much depth at RB.... Look at last season...4 well rounded backs let to a prolific running game

But on the flip side, we've had some pretty good backs emerge during their freshman year being listed 3rd stringer. Wasn't Phillips the 3rd stringer his freshman year when he emerged? Wasn't Ahman a freshman when Phillips pulled his magic? Calvin Jones really emerged his freshman year. What I'm saying is that we've had some really good backs come in as freshman and carry the load. I'd rather have a talented player go play the position he was brought into play and fight for a starting spot than have him waist away getting a few crumbs as a 3rd string RB. What if Lucky and Glenn don't get injured? I've never really liked putting players in certain situations just because what might happen. Look at the 04 season when Frazier went down and then Berringer went down. We brought in a walk-on, and he performed well enough to get us the win and keep us in the title hunt. I don't think it's wise to coach in fear all the time that someone might get hurt. Right now heading into the 07 season, I think our defense needs more of the horses than our offense right now.

here's the deal. Lucky has been susceptible to injury, last season (back) and already this spring. Glenn has had a nagging injury since last November and no matter what anyone sez, he has not shown a complete recovery yet. Culbert will very likely be needed and not in a "what if" situation, as he will have to be there to take some carries to lighten the load of a whole season for the other two.

even Adrian Peterson got beat up last year (broken collar bone) and missed some games, so as someone said, with linemen going up to 350 lbs. and 'backers at 240 and above, running backs take a pounding like never before. the days of a feature back taking 20 or more carries, every game are just about over. the physical aspects of the college game or far greater than ever before.

Ok its not like Culbert is a veteran or anything. I know he has about a month up on mendoza, and a lot longer than Helu or Castille, but I say let Mendoza progress, and let the other two learn about 20-30 plays, and send Culbert back to defense. I dont think we gain very much from Mendoza to Culbert and I think Culbert was brought in for the defensive side and Mendoza for the RB. As said above, let the players play what they were brought here to play. It would be different if Culbert was playing RB for two years, but its not much longer than Mendoza is playing at right now.

I say let the coaches make the decessions. Let the players play where they can to help the team.

I have very little confidence that Lucky will ever be a every down back. In honesty I have very little confidence in Lucky at all. But I have said that numerous times. I am hoping this year he proves me wrong.

The coaches know the health of every single athlete. We only know what we think we know. Which is normally turns out to being very little. If they feel we need Culbert on offense, there is a reason.