Classic to showcase NU

I was lucky and got to attend both of those games. I tell you what....to this day.....that 94 Orange bowl, abdul muhammads punt return that got called back because of the phantom clip or the one where FAT Floyed fumbles the ball and he still gets the call for the TD. Still makes me wanna puke!

I think that was Corey Dixon on the return

Come to think of it you are correct it was Dixon! :wacko:

those were the days when they let Cris Collinsworth do color for games. Collinsworth is one of the best around. even though, if i remember right, he couldn't stop blowing hot air up Miami's a$$ the whole time.

I watched the 1994 Orange Bowl game against FSU in the US embassy in Nairobi.

At 3 am, with not a soul moving about on the streets except me, the heavily-armed marine guard lifted a steel roll-up gate from the front door, and I watched the game with two marines from Florida, a marine from Alabama, and a Kenyan friend who later attended the 1996 Fiesta bowl with me.

I distinctly recall Bob Trumpy as one of the announcers of that game, and he was very fair to Nebraska, and said with emphasis he saw no clip on the Dixon punt return. I think his announcing mate was Bob Enberg,

Chris Collinsworth - and the guy who does the Notre Dame games - announced the OB the next year (1995), as I recall, and had to finally shut his trap when Tommie Frazier and Cory Schlesinger made him.

Terry Donahue and Jim Nantz did the Fiesta Bowl in 1996, although I had the distinct pleasure of NOT hearing them live, because I was at the party itself in Tempe. Husker fans arrived FIVE HOURS early for that game, and turned the stadium into a home atmosphere. My son gave me that trip, and it was a great present!

But when I heard them later, I especially had to laugh when Donahue was trying to set up the old line about Nebraska not having Florida's speed. That was right, they had Nebraska speed.

I have an email from Danny Wuerffel. I wrote to him when he said, not long ago, that the Gator's game his senior year against FSU for the championship was the biggest clobbering he had ever been part of as a quarterback.

I reminded him he was in a far worse clobbering the year before, and he wrote, "Wow. That's true!" One of the Florida players said before their (2nd) 1997 game against FSU, "At least we aren't playing an NFL team this year" for the championship.

On august 7th, 1998, I had the unhappy circumstance of being once again at the site of the US embassy in Nairobi, only this time it was partly in rubble. The young Marines guarding it had orders not to use their weapons while it was being ransacked by hundreds of looters following a truck bombing, said to have been done under the direction of Usama Bin laden.

I was perhaps the first white civilian on the scene. Hundreds of people were buried beneath the rubble caused by the blast. A blue pickup truck was wedged in the west wall of the embassy, not far from the second floor office of Ambassador Prudence Bushnell, who, thankfully, was in the next building at the time of the attack.

The 1998 Husker season did not seem especially important to me.

I caught the end of the FSU game on classic. It still hurts to watch. I forgot about all the drama- expired clock and all.

When I watch those championship teams there is something there I can't describe. A mean-ness, a confidence, just something we haven't had in a long time. It makes the players look bigger and faster, the jersey's look redder, sounds silly but does anyone know what I'm talking about.

That was Nebraska football dammit!!

yes, i know what you are talking about. some kind of supreme confidence that WE controlled the game. not playing on our heels. now when one guy gets excited, the others look at him like--anyway, i think that passion will come back after a win over texas or usc.

Who all was at 72nd and dodge the fantastic years?

I was definitely there. Wouldn't miss it.

When we win it again, I guess I'll go to downtown Columbus and climb the street signs.

A couple buddies and I were there in '97. We were at the Orange and Fiesta in 94 & 95. Celebrating in front of Crossroads Mall with a couple thousand people was cool....but I'll take being at the game screaming so loud that your skull splits every time!!!!

:woo

After the 97 game if you see to husker fans on TV one with

their hat on backwards (me) and H.A.N.C. They got us when

Dr Tom was talking. All of our freinds and family back home

were like you guys were on TV. Didnt even know it.

:cheers

Here's my claim to fame...about 10 of my friends and I were in the Fiesta Bowl program (a 1/2 page photo) in the section that they wrote about Nebraska's National Championship at the Orange Bowl, which we were at. And no....it isn't 1/2 of the stadium....it's a close up of 10 of us. Right after the game we left our nose-bleed seats and went down to the field to talk to a couple of players that lived on our dorm floor (Mike Van Cleave and Sheldon Jackson.) While we were down there, one of the photographers snapped a couple pics.

Not 15-minutes of fame worthy....but is still cool to have and show people "I was there!".

Ha! I found the pic! (OK....there's a few more than 10 of us. But it's still cool that this photo from the Orange Bowl made it into the Fiesta Bowl program!)

1994natichamps-01w.jpg

You still have that snazzy red mohawk?

Ha! No...that was our buddy Glenn. Pretty sure having that goofball there with Big Mike (#71) got the attention of the photographer. I'm one of the other idiots....