NU to the Big 10?

I read the article "Big 12 in Trouble", and the writer started a theory that Nebraska could/should/might consider a move to the Big 10 Conference.

I may be totally biased, but I think Nebraska abandoning the Big 12 would be a catastrophic mistake. Especially abandoning the Texas market. I live in Texas, and Nebraska enjoys a tremendous amount of support in this state. NU fans turn out in droves for the NU games in Texas or in Oklahoma. That would all but dry up if NU moved to the Big 10.

Same goes for recruiting. Think of all of the outstanding Texas recruits that went to NU over the years. The recruiting in Texas would suffer greatly if the university had no game exposure in Texas.

Thoughts anyone on this? Would NU really even consider leaving the Big 12, and as a result leaving the Texas market in the dust?

As I posted in the other thread, it may not end up being Nebraska's choice. There is a scenario in which the south teams could more or less form a new southwest conference and leave NU to go as beggars to the Big 10, or even worse. In that scenario, The Big 10 is the best option. Though what we really need is the other North teams to get their crap together and start having dangerous teams year in and year out. Not the annual trainwrecks that are ISU and KU.

I don't care for the Big-10 either. T.O said that expanding to the Big-12 wouldn't help our recruiting that much in Texas when it was being discussed. We got a few of the top Texas players once in a while because of the success we were having and the longhorns and some other Texas schools were not figuring in the national title picture for a couple of decades. He stated that if they couldn't play against us that they would at least play for us, but if the expansion went through that they would more likely stay home now that they could play against us. We are now starting to pick up some recruits out of Texas, but only after the Longhorns have picked off the cream of the crop. Think how bad it would be if the 85 scholar limit wasn't in play.

I miss the old Big-8 but I guess change was needed, I just hope we don't have to join the Big-10.

GBR!!!

OK, so IF Nebraska had to join the Big Ten. My guess is that the B10 would divide the conference between East-West. Well that would put us with Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin. Not very prestigious in the college football world. Plus even if the Texas schools wanted to break off and form a new conference, they still would need others to join. And Nebraska would be a "Blue Chip" recruit.

Man NU to the big 10 would be like Reagan moving from Republican to communism

Great analogy :) NU would be a total misfit in the Big Ten. They are rust belt East Coast bias. No way. People here in the ACC have not digested Boston College coming into the ACC. The ACC is good ole boys, NASCAR, etc, and prim and proper Boston just does not fit despite them having a decent athletic program. No way would Nebraska fit in the Big Ten. No way.

From what i understand, conference affiliation has more to do with academics than anything else. At least that's how things are looked at when one team is looking at joining another league.

In this way, i don't think NU has much chance of joining the big 10 even if the powers that be in Lincoln wanted to.

The bigger worry is what to do if CU bolted for the Pac 10? There is also the possibility that Texas or another of the south might leave for the SEC. What happens to the big 12 if that were to occur, and what does NU do?