Back in the Day...

I guess he doesn't realize defense and running the ball wins games.

by the way our coaches recruit it doesn't seem like our current staff does either.

Oh ya you're right sure Lucky, Glenn, Lawson, Thenarse, Dillard, Suh, Turner and Asante all suck.......thats rediculous. If anything we are finally building a running game and defense again!

Tommie also had less than steller receivers to throw to. Don't get me wrong, Our receivers were great at what they did Block first and then think about catching the ball. The game plan was set to exploit the run defenses we were facing and the pratice sessions were probably geared to more running plays. I just watched the entire 95 season over the last few days and yes tommie threw some darts in the ground he also threw some spectacular throws. His receivers dropped a lot of balls that true receivers that practiced catching the ball more than blocking schemes would have caught.

Tommies passing stats were at best clouded by the ability of our running game and the game plans the team prepared for week in week out. I believe if Tommie had been in a passing oriented offense his numbers would have been a lot better. His ability to run the option and our teams success at controlling the pace of the game and the clock had as much or more to do with his lack of completions than his under developed passing skills.

Just my opinion

Tommie also had less than steller receivers to throw to. Don't get me wrong, Our receivers were great at what they did Block first and then think about catching the ball. The game plan was set to exploit the run defenses we were facing and the pratice sessions were probably geared to more running plays. I just watched the entire 95 season over the last few days and yes tommie threw some darts in the ground he also threw some spectacular throws. His receivers dropped a lot of balls that true receivers that practiced catching the ball more than blocking schemes would have caught.

Tommies passing stats were at best clouded by the ability of our running game and the game plans the team prepared for week in week out. I believe if Tommie had been in a passing oriented offense his numbers would have been a lot better. His ability to run the option and our teams success at controlling the pace of the game and the clock had as much or more to do with his lack of completions than his under developed passing skills.

Just my opinion

Well said

That '95 Nebraska team was like a machine. I don't recall for certain, but did they have any close games?

Aug. 31 at Oklahoma 64-21

Sept. 9 at Michigan St. 50-10

Sept. 16 vs. Arizona St. 77-28

Sept. 23 vs. Pacific 49-7

Sept. 30 vs. Washington St. 35-21

Oct. 14 vs. Missouri 57-0

Oct. 21 vs. Kansas St. (8) 49-25

Oct. 28 at Colorado (7) 44-21

Nov. 4 vs. Iowa State 73-14

Nov. 11 at Kansas (10) 41-3

Nov. 24 vs. Oklahoma 37-0

Jan. 2 vs. Florida (2) 62-24

The Washington State game was the only close game, NU's first two drives resulted in fumbles and WSU had one really good drive, but even that game wasn't as close as the score indicates.

Hey everyone,

Since I'm a fairly new son of Husker nation, I was hoping maybe some of you could tell me a thing or two about a certain subject. Last season was the first season I truly became passionate about college football. I watched everything I could (particularly the Iowa/ISU games as they are the relevant teams in my state), and also made a decsive effort to learn my Husker history.

What I have yet to find, however, was what I most wanted to see. What, for those of you who know, was the reaction to our team during the 95 season? I've seen the National Championship game something like three times now, and I got to say, I've never seen anything like it. The defense––they were monsters. Our offense blew through the Gators like a powerwasher through a silk spiderweb.

It quickly came to my attention last year that nobody likes to give us our proper dues. During the USC game that POS Brent Musburger only ever opened his trap in praise of Vince Young. The same Vince Young who no longer plays college football––the one who is totally irrelevant to the USC-Nebraska game. My suspicions were confirmed when the whining, snivelling woman Kirk Herbstreit had a panic attack on ESPN when the 95 Huskers were officially recognized as the greatest team in history, which they most assuradely were.

But more to my original point, I haven't found much press about that team. What was the reaction to our utter dominance of the game that year? If we crushed the #2 team in the country and could have likely done so with our backups, how did the Florida-loving Big Sports Media handle their favorite children being absolutely humiliated by our unimaginative offense juggernaut?

I don't know about you guys, but if we could resurrect Touchdown Tommy, LP, Joel Machatoreyourfaceoff and the gang, I'd put my money on them to line up against any team before or since and sit back comfortably to watch the fireworks.

And USC must be razed to the ground. :restore

First off, Musburger is a putz. Avoid him when all possible. I remember Kirk and the boys "polishing one off" to the golden boy Danny Wuerffel. I still remember the pre-game clip of him and Chris Doering singing. The media definately had Florida as the team to beat, primarily due to their passing game.

That '95 Nebraska team was like a machine. I don't recall for certain, but did they have any close games?

The Washington State game was the only close game, NU's first two drives resulted in fumbles and WSU had one really good drive, but even that game wasn't as close as the score indicates.

The bugeaters never played us in Aug.........

I thought tom had turned the corner when he was up by fourty, and was passing for long bombs

no class.

No one will ever forget that classless act of coaching

Did you ever realize it took Swit's firing for Neb to beat OU? I guess it was pinned up frustration for all those years of getting your butt kicked, to make him do that.

gOU Big Red

The 1956 OU team only punted 3 times the whole year...THE WHOLE YEAR.

When the college all star practice was going on Paul Horning was taking snaps from OU's center and he was bouncing them from ten yards. He replied...what in the hell is going on....can't you snap?

Our center responded.."we only punted 3 times this year..I havn't had enough practice"!

gOU Big Red

I thought tom had turned the corner when he was up by fourty, and was passing for long bombs

no class.

Sorry, the first one is Okie State. missed the state part.

and what the heck are you talking about?

Did you ever realize it took Swit's firing for Neb to beat OU? I guess it was pinned up frustration for all those years of getting your butt kicked, to make him do that.

gOU Big Red

Do you really thing the coach OU had that year mattered? Dude that NU team could have smoked OU that year even if Switzer was coaching AND we were playing my boy Monte Christo at QB. Thats right, I pulled out the sixth string QB burn.

no class.

gOU Big Red

obviously you dont know your history and didnt watch any of the post game interviews following the beat down that NU gave ASU. It was widely reported that the pass was not the called play, it was an audible at the line of scrimmage by the 4th string QB.

reguardless, isnt it the job of the defense to keep the offense from scoring?

no class.

gOU Big Red

obviously you dont know your history and didnt watch any of the post game interviews following the beat down that NU gave ASU. It was widely reported that the pass was not the called play, it was an audible at the line of scrimmage by the 4th string QB.

reguardless, isnt it the job of the defense to keep the offense from scoring?

:yeah NU had beat OU plenty of times before by 1995 even with Switzer. People often resort to calling someone class-less after they get their asses handed to them.

The 1956 OU team only punted 3 times the whole year...THE WHOLE YEAR.

When the college all star practice was going on Paul Horning was taking snaps from OU's center and he was bouncing them from ten yards. He replied...what in the hell is going on....can't you snap?

Our center responded.."we only punted 3 times this year..I havn't had enough practice"!

gOU Big Red

I seem to remember during the Fiesta Bowl against Florida... that when we came out for a punt in the 4th quarter, it was mentioned that that was our only punt ALL YEAR....

It is true though, that the August game was against OSU, not OU, right?

not that it matters SoonerOLB. a whuppin' of that magnitude still stings twelve years on. but we've gotten past it. and so should you, friend. or else you'll end-up bitter and angry like our so-called 'rivals' to the west of us.

y'know? the guys that scream '62-36!!!!1!!!' when nebraska's past glories and future greatness are discussed?

let the healing begin.