SIGNED: TE Tyson Hetzer

I just don't get why we won't try to get him here for this season, if anything to redshirt him, get him in the workouts and the playbook. If he is eligible to come to the team this year it makes wayyyyyyyy more sense.... we do have a scholly freed up for the 07/08 season if i remember right and he is eligible to do that from what I have read....

Anyway seems we need depth at TE, and we won't be able to get it in from the high school ranks.

I wouldn't say we can't get a bluechip TE recruit from the HC ranks. We did get that kid two years back -- Mike McNeil. He is highly regarded (Unfortunately, he's been injured and didn't practice during the spring.). We just haven't had any luck getting enough of them so far. That could change in the future. Should that position be any harder to recruit than a top WR, QB or RB? Anyone?

I just don't get why we won't try to get him here for this season, if anything to redshirt him, get him in the workouts and the playbook. If he is eligible to come to the team this year it makes wayyyyyyyy more sense.... we do have a scholly freed up for the 07/08 season if i remember right and he is eligible to do that from what I have read....

He burned his redshirt at Northern Alabama.

I just don't get why we won't try to get him here for this season, if anything to redshirt him, get him in the workouts and the playbook.

Perhaps a year of playing experience in the Juco ranks would serve him better for his development? This guy is suppose to be very raw. Would one redshirt year be enough? -- I don't know. My concern is as raw as he is supposed to be -- I interpret what his HC coach was saying is he lacks motivation -- it would have been more ideal if this kid was a freshman coming out of HC next year. Yes, he is a risk. He is a project. On the bright side, sometimes these type of prospects work out. We can only hope.

lets work on converting on of our WR's maybe.... this is the least excited i have been for a recruit in a long time. and the TE recruiting is really getting to be a gorilla on this teams back.

Meno is supposedly really strong, if he added 10-15 lbs he would be a hell of a receiving TE.

• 1 month later...

But not everyone is sold. Scott Hare, Hetzer's former coach at Anderson High School in Redding, Calif., said Monday he would be surprised if Hetzer had developed into a Big 12-caliber tight end.

"He's a big boy with a body a coach would love," Hare said, "but when Tyson was here, he was unbelievably stiff. If you could get his motor running, he would run some people over. It didn't always happen. But when he did get open, he would catch the ball."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement from his coach...

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200...;u_sid=10061221

Not to be a downer, but I find it surprising a coach would say that about one of his former guys...

Here's the one that has me shaking my head:

He performed well enough in spring practice at Citrus College to impress the Huskers with a highlight tape.

Now I know our coaches have an eye for talent but this seems to be a stretch.

Hey I hope he works out but I've never seen such a chance being taken on an unproven player other than track stars being given a chance as wide receivers.

Has anyone seen this said highlight tape??

I would love to see what the coaches saw.

I've heard that good TEs are a relatively rare find at the JUCO level.

At this point, he sounds pretty raw. I wouldn't so much think that the coaches offered him because he's a can't miss product, but rather that he's the best of whats avaliable as a JUCO. The fact that the offer was made based on his performance at a CC spring game might be a sign of this.

• 3 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

Well, I wonder what Coach Brown can do with him. He is no question a project. Even his juco coach was not that impress with him. This is not someone Bo would had recruited. I like our class, with the exception of this guy.

I will agree that he is most definitely raw, and may very well not ever see the field.

That being said, though, we aren't exactly loaded with talent at TE. This guy has an amazing combination of size and speed, so I figure why not take a shot. We need a valid threat at TE, and size and speed are something you can't coach.