Bowman = W's

Grixby has his size limitations, but I *believe* he is solid on technique and experience. I'm not as low on him as many of you are. IF Murillo can develop the defensive awareness that will propel him above Grixby on the depth chart, then good for him and the secondary.

I'd like it better if Bowman were healthy, but that's a tough injury he's got and I would not count on him coming back, or coming back 100%. Even if he does, it's been a long time since he's been out on the field running with the receivers.

Besides, I'd like to believe this Husker team is too tough to let a few individual losses affect their season. A lot of it is just about guys stepping up, keeping the team together, staying focused. We - and other teams - have suffered bigger losses and just pulled through the end, whether it meant QB-turned-Flankers returning to the QB position, or 3rd string QBs stepping into the lineup and winning games.

grixby has no technique, sorry anyone can torch him.

You are very wrong my friend

And to the people thinking Bowman was just an internet creation or whatever you want to say are COMPLETELY WRONG.

Bowman would have been the first CB taken this year, if he was healthy, no doubt in my mind..

He would have run Sub 4.4 or right above 4.4 and with his size the NFL teams would have fell in love with him, he would have been a Top 10-15 pick

I was at Arrowhead, 9th row the day I learned how Grixby played corner. I still have nightmares about a PA rollout with a reciever running post. I don't know where they dug Grixby up, but I think Willy Wonka just called––he wants his Oompa Loompa back. When the kid wasn't being dominated by receivers he was passing out candy bars to the team.

I, for one, do believe this position can make or break this coming season, for the following reason:

The game of football in this day and age relies on balance, if not a slight lean towards passing. This stems from professional aspirations in an environment where quarterbacks need to be healthy for many years. Having an undersized and incompetent corner playing against tall, fast receivers is a recipee for disaster far more than a worthless line-backer against the run. If a LB screws up, you still have a whole lot of action close by to stop him. If a corner screws up, it's nothing but green pastures 'til the end-zone, minus one piddly safety if we're lucky. Therefore in a pass-happy game, a weak cornerback is a much, much bigger liability than virtually any other position on the field. Yards come a lot easier and a lot faster in this situation. I just hope he either steps up or steps out this season.

As for Bowman––I'd feel safer with him. But I actually read somewhere that the same guy coached Murillo and Bowman, and that coach said Murillo is better. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty dang sure that's what I read. In any case, I have a gut feeling our defense is going to surprise us this year. I think our secondary might actually turn out to be more potent than we can predict at these early stages.

We'll see what happens...

And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

bowman started 6 Games!!!! 6 he's an internet creation I'll take a guy who has been starting since he was a sophmore than a Juco guy who has blown out his knee and been injured again in the next 8-9 months and started six months.

I noticed how none of you have placed any blame on some certain safeties who were torched far more than our corners or the fact that Jones used the same tecnique...no it's all grixby's fault he's short he isn't any good. did any of you think maybe the coachs were teaching him this is over his 3 years here because all of our cb's have been doing the same thing.

this is just my oppinion don't rag on players with out the facts

Mabey its a difference in perception, I don't know, but its just not true that all of our CB have been doing the same thing! Even within a system each corner has his own style of play within the guidelines of what they have been taught, Grixby simply does'nt play the ball, he plays the man. Thats just playing not to get beat, not playing to win. One FACT you can't argue with is that most offensive coordinators target him.....mabey theres a reason. GBR

your right about that I posted with out thinking about enough but I have seen jones do the same thing

do you know what the awesome thing is..... were arguing about how are cornerbacks play their reciever...........IN JUNE :bonez:clap:worship

by the way good post and welcome to the board im a newbie myself :thumbs

Thanks! I am so glad I found this site! Its nice to know other people think about this stuff ALL the time too, even if we don't agree I love it. :woo

I was at Arrowhead, 9th row the day I learned how Grixby played corner. I still have nightmares about a PA rollout with a reciever running post. I don't know where they dug Grixby up, but I think Willy Wonka just called––he wants his Oompa Loompa back. When the kid wasn't being dominated by receivers he was passing out candy bars to the team.

I, for one, do believe this position can make or break this coming season, for the following reason:

The game of football in this day and age relies on balance, if not a slight lean towards passing. This stems from professional aspirations in an environment where quarterbacks need to be healthy for many years. Having an undersized and incompetent corner playing against tall, fast receivers is a recipee for disaster far more than a worthless line-backer against the run. If a LB screws up, you still have a whole lot of action close by to stop him. If a corner screws up, it's nothing but green pastures 'til the end-zone, minus one piddly safety if we're lucky. Therefore in a pass-happy game, a weak cornerback is a much, much bigger liability than virtually any other position on the field. Yards come a lot easier and a lot faster in this situation. I just hope he either steps up or steps out this season.

As for Bowman––I'd feel safer with him. But I actually read somewhere that the same guy coached Murillo and Bowman, and that coach said Murillo is better. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty dang sure that's what I read. In any case, I have a gut feeling our defense is going to surprise us this year. I think our secondary might actually turn out to be more potent than we can predict at these early stages.

We'll see what happens...

And USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

I could'nt agree more...good post! :yeah

As for Bowman––I'd feel safer with him. But I actually read somewhere that the same guy coached Murillo and Bowman, and that coach said Murillo is better. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty dang sure that's what I read.

I might have read something different than you but I read that the guy who coached both andre jones and bowman said that Jones was farther along coming out of Juco but Bowman had better potential him running a 4.3 and being 6' 2" and all like I said maybe we read something different and I could be wrong too

i totally agree with you. i would love to see bowman on one side and jones on the other. i think jones will live up to his hype this year.

if we can get both of them together along with the play of asante we could have a great defensive backfield.

Not to mention Tierre Green who will be playing the same position two years in a row for the first time in his career! Our back seven can rival anyone in the country!

please, send me some of what you are smoking!

Another honest post.

As for Bowman––I'd feel safer with him. But I actually read somewhere that the same guy coached Murillo and Bowman, and that coach said Murillo is better. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty dang sure that's what I read.

I might have read something different than you but I read that the guy who coached both andre jones and bowman said that Jones was farther along coming out of Juco but Bowman had better potential him running a 4.3 and being 6' 2" and all like I said maybe we read something different and I could be wrong too

I believe that was the guy who coached Bowman and Murillo...I don't know though.

Not to mention Tierre Green who will be playing the same position two years in a row for the first time in his career! Our back seven can rival anyone in the country!

the best player in our defensive backfield has 2 bad knees and 1 career int.

not really awe-inspiring.

I believe that was the guy who coached Bowman and Murillo...I don't know though.

ya you might be right.....one of those Jucos :)