WR Deion Walker

Alright...according to Rivals, this guy has a pretty heavy lean on Florida St. right now. Although he plans on making a visit to USC. He has been on an unofficial here. He will probably decide by October. We need to get Gabbert on this guy!!!!

With Baby Bowden gone I wonder if there is anyone left at Florida State that badmouths Nebraska? Sure they all do it to a degree but Jeff was one of the worst.

Alright...according to Rivals, this guy has a pretty heavy lean on Florida St. right now. Although he plans on making a visit to USC. He has been on an unofficial here. He will probably decide by October. We need to get Gabbert on this guy!!!!

With Baby Bowden gone I wonder if there is anyone left at Florida State that badmouths Nebraska? Sure they all do it to a degree but Jeff was one of the worst.

Bobby is still the head coach there.

He means Bobby's son, who was fired (?) Something like that. I believe his son was OC, the fans didn't like him or something, and drove him out of town.

By the way, I believe a big name WR with family ties to FSU (read this on Rivals, can't remember the name - begins with B) committed to USC over the Seminoles, which means you have to like Deion's chances at Florida State. I hope we get him, but all signs so far point him to being a Seminole. Shame...I bet Walker stars on Sundays in the future.

• 5 weeks later...

Here is an update on Deion Walker. It looks like Nebraska could be one of the 5 locations where Walker makes his official visits.

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/675161.html

Deion Walker, the 6-foot-3, 185-pound five-star wide receiver from Christchurch, Va., will be taking his first official visit this weekend (Sept. 8) to Penn State for the Notre Dame game.

"I really like what Penn State has to offer," Walker said. "The environment is really good and it's a down-to-earth place. It's not too out of control and is a nice college town. I also really like the coaches and have a good relationship with coach Joe Paterno and his son Jay Paterno. They are real cool and tell it like it is."

Walker, ranked as the No. 6 wide receiver in the country by Scout.com, also plans to visit Florida State on Oct. 6 when the 'Noles take on North Carolina State. "I think that Florida State is gonna do great this year," he said. "They always get great athletes and I think the new offense is really gonna benefit the team."

Although it's not officially set yet, Walker says he'll most likely trip to USC in November and says he's really impressed with the Trojans. "They definitely find ways to spread the ball around," Walker said. "I didn't know what to expect from them this season and thought they looked really good. (Running back) Coach Todd McNair called me on Monday and he talked about how the quarterbacks are always looking to spread the ball around and how me and Brice Butler (wide receiver Trojan commit from Norcross, Ga.) could do a lot of damage there."

In addition to USC, Walker says he received calls from coaches from Wake Forest, North Carolina State, LSU and Tennessee on Saturday (the first day that coaches were allowed to call recruits again). Walker, who has over 45 scholarship offers, says he still wide open, however he admits that "I've had a great time at Penn State, Florida State and LSU, but a lot of schools stand out."

He also likes and is considering taking official visits to Nebraska and Notre Dame. "Nebraska really surprised me when I visited them," he said. "It's nothing but football there. I really liked that."

Although he wasn't there in person, Walker said he did watch most of the Notre Dame loss to Georgia Tech. "It surprised me that they lost like that," Walker said. "But it showed that they need wide receivers and made me think that it might be a good place to be and do some things. They definitely tried to throw the ball, but are just having trouble moving it down the field. They will need receivers and their offense will only continue to get better."

One team that really impressed Walker was LSU. "I think their defense is ridiculous," Walker said. "They are not gonna give up a lot of points no matter who they play. Also the offense is strong and they have some good wide receivers so they'll be able to put some points up. It's also a good situation because their receivers are all juniors and they'll need to reload next season."

Walker's first game this season is on Sept. 7 against Christian Academy in Lynchburg, Va.

"I really want to compare all the environments and see where I'll be able to fit into," he said. "I don't really have a preference for the type of campus or city or distance. I'd like to make a decision in early December because by then I'll have taken all my visits and seen all the schools I like. Right now, Penn State, Florida State and LSU have a slight lead."

Walker reports a 3.2 core GPA and a 21 ACT.

At the very least this gets our foot in the door. How many times has a recruit talked about coming here with absolutely no expectations and then been blown away by the atmosphere and known by the time he was leaving that this was the place for him? It happens two or three times each year. I wanna say I read that scenario with either Compton or Meredith this year. Let's just get him here and see what happens. You never know!!

I just read an article from a link a HI and he is quoted as saying that Nebraska is in his top five. I still dont know how much of a chance we have with this guy, but it is pretty interesting that we just keep hanging around on this kid. Also would be nice to have Woods and Walker in the same class right behind Paul and Currenski and Holt and Henry with a little Castille, Gray, Helu, Gabbert and the plethora of big boys we have blocking for all of them.

• 4 months later...