A USC's fan prediction

I'd give the edge to our LBs over the WRs there. Yes, they've been together, and yes, I like all our WRs, but esp. without Purify, are they as reliable as a B+ corps should be? I don't think so. Questionable hands almost everywhere. They may be better than anything we've seen in the option attack years, but I don't think they're quite elite. At least, our potential stars of the future (Henry, Paul) are still just that - stars of the future with potential.

40-16 seems absurdly unlikely. Predicting scores might be useless, but it's a much closer game on paper than that. Even in our down years, we hung right in there with Texas at home. Our 7-7 year, we had so many chances to beat Texas. Came down to a lot of missed field goals and squandered 4th down opportunities in a 3-point game. IIRC, we were pretty well unranked and they were Top 15 at least.

If we get beat I think it will be because we got out coached by Pete Carroll, because honostly I don't think the talent is that much different between the starters, but obviously USC has a lot more depth and doesn't seem to drop off much between their first and 5th WR. The fact is that it's a early season match-up so hopefully neither of the teams will have any key starters out for the game.

This is the most anticipated match-up of the BC era by far and to USC I think it's a big time early out of conference away game, but not looked as a win to put them on the map.

But under BC we are only 2-6 against Top 25 opponents... granted none of those losses to those teams came at home except #5 Texas and we all know what happened in that one :madash

Man some of you guys Husker glasses are really really really strong.

We have a chance, that is the reason they play the games. Anything can happen.

But thinking we have equal talent to SC is beyond imagination. They have been one of the top recruiting programs for the last 5-6 years. Every single team that has the won the NC in the last 7 years is a recruiting dynamo. WE have had one semi good class. We are not there yet, not even close. Qut setting yourselves up for disappointment and disatisfaction with the team. If we win this game it will be because BC out coached Pete Carrol, no other reason, other than turnovers.

My guess is if you listed both teams top 3 in every position, NFL scouts would know every single starter and most of the top 3 for SC. If you took Nebraska's starters 6-7 would be marked for consideration. The rest still have to prove themselves. We are on paper outmanned bigtime, not even close.

Motivation, coaching, crowd noise, turnovers win this game for us. Not talent against talent. If they do not have turnovers, the crowd will have very little affect on them. This team plays big games every year. Pete knows what is coming at Nebraska. Our biggest plus is that it is early, they will have played no one of value and we will have played to pretty good teams. Injuries from the Wake Forest game is a concern though.

I think we win this game, but if I had to bet on it still say 28-17 USC is very realistic.

I am not knocking the team. I have just listened to this stuff every year since BC took over. Some thought we would be playing for the NC the first year.

It just takes time to turn things around, BC is getting it done, but we need to understand that he puts enough preasure on himself to accomphish this. I want us to beat SC just as bad as anyone, but I will also understand if we don't. It will hurt just as bad, but I can see the reason why we would or wouldn't, and can handle the outcome alot better by looking at things how they are, not how I desperately want them to be.

It is not negative, it is seeing what we have and dealing with it. Cheering and backing the team to the enth degree, but never giving them the feeling they let me down as a fan. I do not want average, but I also understand that an 8 foot ladder will not do the job a 12 foot ladder will.

I am not knocking the team. I have just listened to this stuff every year since BC took over. Some thought we would be playing for the NC the first year.

It just takes time to turn things around, BC is getting it done, but we need to understand that he puts enough preasure on himself to accomphish this. I want us to beat SC just as bad as anyone, but I will also understand if we don't. It will hurt just as bad, but I can see the reason why we would or wouldn't, and can handle the outcome alot better by looking at things how they are, not how I desperately want them to be.

It is not negative, it is seeing what we have and dealing with it. Cheering and backing the team to the enth degree, but never giving them the feeling they let me down as a fan. I do not want average, but I also understand that and 8 foot ladder will not do the job a 12 foot ladder will.

i agree 100%, but many label people like us as not real fans or uninformed fans. i have followed/supported this school since 1965, so that sure isn't the case. i agree, cally is moving in the right direction, but why do so many people expect miracles? be patient, wins against the USC's will eventually come and not by pure luck or turnovers either.

I went to my first game in 1950. Do not remember much of it, actually nothing. Been here for the good, the average, the below average, the great times, and the previous nightmare. Things are coming together, but Nebraska fans are known around the country for not only being considered the best fans, but for being the most unrealistic fans.

But you still got to love them, they are Nebraska fans!!!!

It is not negative, it is seeing what we have and dealing with it. Cheering and backing the team to the enth degree, but never giving them the feeling they let me down as a fan. I do not want average, but I also understand that and 8 foot ladder will not do the job a 12 foot ladder will.

i agree 100%, but many label people like us as not real fans or uninformed fans. i have followed/supported this school since 1965, so that sure isn't the case. i agree, cally is moving in the right direction, but why do so many people expect miracles? be patient, wins against the USC's will eventually come and not by pure luck or turnovers either.

Yeah....when Pete Carroll takes another job, and Southern California becomes a non-desirable place to be.

i seriously am not really upset or trying to start a fight with anyone. i respect that fact that you guys have been around the program for a long time. that doesn't mean you know something more than what we 'younger' fans do not know.

i went to my first game when i was 5 months old. do not remember much of it, actually nothing. but i have been a fan ever since. that puts me at 29.5 years out of 30 years possible as a Cornhusker. i have parents, friends, uncles, players, coaches, and secretaries on my list of people who are or were IN the program. please don't disrepect our optimism by calling it rose colored glasses.

i know it's a long shot to beat them, but i'm going to try to figure out a way i think it could happen. if people want to make unrealistic, insane predictions and expectations, just let them. i could deal with that a lot better than a bunch of whiny pusses who think everything Husker is bleak.

i seriously am not really upset or trying to start a fight with anyone. i respect that fact that you guys have been around the program for a long time. that doesn't mean you know something more than what we 'younger' fans do not know.

i went to my first game when i was 5 months old. do not remember much of it, actually nothing. but i have been a fan ever since. that puts me at 29.5 years out of 30 years possible as a Cornhusker. i have parents, friends, uncles, players, coaches, and secretaries on my list of people who are or were IN the program. please don't disrepect our optimism by calling it rose colored glasses.

i know it's a long shot to beat them, but i'm going to try to figure out a way i think it could happen. if people want to make unrealistic, insane predictions and expectations, just let them. i could deal with that a lot better than a bunch of whiny pusses who think everything Husker is bleak.

i expected a comment like this, don't need the personal attack, but if it makes you feel better, have fun.

we only speak from watching the program's ups and downs over the last 40 years or so. no, time and age are not a prerequisite for sound thinking, but MOST folks appreciate experience and truthful evaluations based on those years of experience as well. few great programs in football are built overnight. it sure isn't

an exercise in whining, only in seeing the realistic goals of a team that is striving to improve.

I don't think it was a personal attack there Hunter94, but I do agree that the experience of following this program for so many decades lends its own credence. It doesn't mean younger fans don't know anything, or that there's some sort of knowledge disparity gradient; just different insights, different perspectives. The more experience behind the perspective, the more weight should be given to it.

That said, I wouldn't say a 30-year old fan is a young newbie to the Huskers. What does that make a college student?

i expected a comment like this, don't need the personal attack, but if it makes you feel better, have fun.

we only speak from watching the program's ups and downs over the last 40 years or so. no, time and age are not a prerequisite for sound thinking, but MOST folks appreciate experience and truthful evaluations based on those years of experience as well. few great programs in football are built overnight. it sure isn't

an exercise in whining, only in seeing the realistic goals of a team that is striving to improve.

Listen, I don't want to insult anyone or diminish thier Husker experience because it is the long time fans that make NU great, and sell out for the last 42 years. But on this subject, Devaney, Osborne, and even Solich have little to do with it, I'm sorry they just don't. This is'nt even about BC or Pete Carol. This is nothing more than a difference in our evaluation of the talent on both teams. Period. I respect your opinion, I just don't share it. I believe that the talent gap between the two teams is smaller than you do. Granted the gap does exist, but the game time atmospere and good coaching can go a long way to closing that gap. Not luck. The only problem I have is with the Whipping boy, blowout bull$hit, I'm sorry, but that IS just negative and unnecesary. I'm with HuskerRob, I'll give anyone 24 points on $100.00....takers? (not joking)

More goes into it than just talent. If it was talent alone, USC Texas, Florida and LSU would never lose any game that wasnt played with one of the other listed teams.

All had loses last year. Did Oregon State or UCLA have more talent than USC? not a chance. But they got the W. KSU is drasticly far behind Texas in talent, yet pulled the win.

You get no argument from me that USC has more talent. But dont use it as a cop-out and say there is no way NU can pull the upset. While at this stage I am uncertain if NU will, pull it off, the Huskers certainly have the ability to have it happen.